Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:27:41 am

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 221071 times)  Share 

nishta

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +9
Re: HSC Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #690 on: January 18, 2019, 10:20:17 am »
Hi everyone,

I am in Year 12 now and not liking business at all  :-\

it's almost the end of the summer holidays and I have done close to nothing for business because my heart really isn't in it. I'm not going to drop though because I genuinely want a band 6 in it.

Anyone have any tips for motivating myself? Or at least getting up and doing some study?

thanks  :)
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #691 on: January 18, 2019, 11:02:41 am »
+4
Hi everyone,

I am in Year 12 now and not liking business at all  :-\

it's almost the end of the summer holidays and I have done close to nothing for business because my heart really isn't in it. I'm not going to drop though because I genuinely want a band 6 in it.

Anyone have any tips for motivating myself? Or at least getting up and doing some study?

thanks  :)

Hey!

I’m sad to see your heart isn’t with business at the moment but that’s okay! Everyone has these moments where they are just completely unmotivated and honestly just don’t want to do anything. Even for myself like business studies is literally my life but there were points during my HSC where I just couldn’t even look at the content because I was just not feeling it.

I think the best about business though is the flexibility to tailor it to yourself since it is only core topics. If you’re struggling with some of the concepts just sit yourself down with a clear mind and ask yourself “how can I break this down so I can fully understand this”. You can do this by taking a chunk of information and just simplifying it into a few dot points. Trust me it makes your life so much easier.

Another thing is in business you obviously need case studies for your essay and in some cases short answer. Research your favourite clothing brand, different businesses you like and by doing this you’re actually researching businesses that you’re interested in and want to know more about. It definitely takes the burden away of “Oh I just have to do this”.

Lastly, one of the things I did was make my notes look really pretty. When I had established a so called “theme” I wanted to use for my notes it made me motivated to continue doing my notes so they would be perfect for me! Maybe jazz up your notes, use lots of colour and even chuck a few pictures and diagrams in there.

That’s most of my tips, but if you want I have written an article that goes into depth on how to succeed in business studies. You can find it in the Articles section and it’s called “HSC Business Studies: Maximising Marks”.

I hope this gives you some slight motivation but always reach out if you need more help ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

nishta

• Trailblazer
« Reply #692 on: January 18, 2019, 12:07:03 pm »
Hey!

I’m sad to see your heart isn’t with business at the moment but that’s okay! Everyone has these moments where they are just completely unmotivated and honestly just don’t want to do anything. Even for myself like business studies is literally my life but there were points during my HSC where I just couldn’t even look at the content because I was just not feeling it.

I think the best about business though is the flexibility to tailor it to yourself since it is only core topics. If you’re struggling with some of the concepts just sit yourself down with a clear mind and ask yourself “how can I break this down so I can fully understand this”. You can do this by taking a chunk of information and just simplifying it into a few dot points. Trust me it makes your life so much easier.

Another thing is in business you obviously need case studies for your essay and in some cases short answer. Research your favourite clothing brand, different businesses you like and by doing this you’re actually researching businesses that you’re interested in and want to know more about. It definitely takes the burden away of “Oh I just have to do this”.

Lastly, one of the things I did was make my notes look really pretty. When I had established a so called “theme” I wanted to use for my notes it made me motivated to continue doing my notes so they would be perfect for me! Maybe jazz up your notes, use lots of colour and even chuck a few pictures and diagrams in there.

That’s most of my tips, but if you want I have written an article that goes into depth on how to succeed in business studies. You can find it in the Articles section and it’s called “HSC Business Studies: Maximising Marks”.

I hope this gives you some slight motivation but always reach out if you need more help ;D

Thanks so much!! Those are actually some really tips - I'll put them into use  ;D
HSC 2019: English Extension 2, Maths Advanced, Legal Studies, Business Studies, Visual Arts

nishta

• Trailblazer
« Reply #693 on: January 24, 2019, 10:29:12 am »
Hey everyone!

So I'm doing finance but I can't get my head around what commercial bills and debentures are in sources of finance! I've tried to look at some textbooks and online, but I would really appreciate it if someone put it in dummy terms :)

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #694 on: January 24, 2019, 03:58:28 pm »
+4
Hey everyone!

So I'm doing finance but I can't get my head around what commercial bills and debentures are in sources of finance! I've tried to look at some textbooks and online, but I would really appreciate it if someone put it in dummy terms :)

Hey!

A commercial bill and a debenture are honestly quite similar yet, just differ in their time difference.

A commercial bill is a short term source of debt financing that are usually issued for about 30 to 180 days. However, it is usually for larger amounts (ie. over $180 000) and the borrower promises to repay the loan with interest. The thing with commercial bills is they are very flexible and are able to be rolled over to each month until the amount is paid in full. For example, if the business is required to pay the money in January but can't due to poor liquidity, then the commercial bill rolls over to the next month (ie. February) and they repay the loan with interest.

A debenture is a long term source of debt financing where an individual/business borrows an amount of money for a fixed period and fixed rate of interest. The debenture is like a piece of paper (similar to a prospectus) in which the borrowers provide to the investors to show them that they will pay the loan on time with the interest.

Hope this helps ;D
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

nishta

• Trailblazer
« Reply #695 on: January 25, 2019, 08:36:08 am »
+1
Hey!

A commercial bill and a debenture are honestly quite similar yet, just differ in their time difference.

A commercial bill is a short term source of debt financing that are usually issued for about 30 to 180 days. However, it is usually for larger amounts (ie. over $180 000) and the borrower promises to repay the loan with interest. The thing with commercial bills is they are very flexible and are able to be rolled over to each month until the amount is paid in full. For example, if the business is required to pay the money in January but can't due to poor liquidity, then the commercial bill rolls over to the next month (ie. February) and they repay the loan with interest.

A debenture is a long term source of debt financing where an individual/business borrows an amount of money for a fixed period and fixed rate of interest. The debenture is like a piece of paper (similar to a prospectus) in which the borrowers provide to the investors to show them that they will pay the loan on time with the interest.

Hope this helps ;D

Thank you so much!!

alole201

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #696 on: January 28, 2019, 09:20:30 pm »
HI everyone!

So school starts very soon and I was wondering if anyone would help me with how to properly answer short answer questions from business past papers. I tried speaking to teachers and other students about the format and the spacing based on the marks per question but i am still very confused.?

Someone please help out!!

Thanks  ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #697 on: January 28, 2019, 09:37:59 pm »
+4
HI everyone!

So school starts very soon and I was wondering if anyone would help me with how to properly answer short answer questions from business past papers. I tried speaking to teachers and other students about the format and the spacing based on the marks per question but i am still very confused.?

Someone please help out!!

Thanks  ;D

Hey!

In business, well in most HSC exams, they don't give you that many lines to write the answer which basically forces you to be succinct and only include information that directly answers the question. When answering the question, it is so important to look at the directive term before you start answering the actual question. For example, if the question asks you to 'discuss' then you have to provide the reasons for and reasons against what it is asking. Even when there only seems like there are only advantages for the particular question, it is so important to write even one disadvantage so you can fully satisfy the marking criteria.

Essentially, the lines provided act as a guide about how much you have to write, although in saying that you don't always have to fill them all. If you have the other issue of writing too much, there is spare writing paper in the HSC booklet where you can continue writing your answer.

I think the key to nailing short answer in business studies is knowing your syllabus back to front. If you know it off by heart your brain can instantly catalogue what information from the syllabus dot points relate to the questions and thus, allowing you to write down only the necessary information.

I hope that makes sense and gives you a bit more clarity :)

jen10

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #698 on: April 21, 2019, 03:08:18 pm »
Hello!
I was just wondering, for a business report, if the question just asks for strategies of 2 topics, how many strategies would we provide from each?
And also, how do I find the Q&A Thread with Emily for Business Studies earlier this year?
Thanks!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #699 on: April 21, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
+3
Hello!
I was just wondering, for a business report, if the question just asks for strategies of 2 topics, how many strategies would we provide from each?
And also, how do I find the Q&A Thread with Emily for Business Studies earlier this year?
Thanks!

Hey Jen!

For a business report asking for strategies from 2 topics, ideally I would do 2 from each topic so 4 strategies in total. However, if you are concerned with the amount of time you have to write, I would do 2 strategies from one topic and 1 from the other. To decide on which strategies you should pick 2 of, I would look at the business situation and what features/characteristics are most prevalent/dominant and pick those to write 2 strategies for.

The link for my Q&A can be found here https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=184787.0

Dillan

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #700 on: May 12, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »
Hey all,

Just after any tips on how to write a Band 6 Business Essay and whats the key features that distinguishes an essay and a report.

I have 2 possible essay questions and was just after some thoughts and ideas of what you guys would include in the response.

Q1. Evaluate strategies that management may use to respond to key influences  on marketing

Q2. Assess the importance of marketing strategies in achieving a competitive business advantage.

If you guys could give a rough break down of what you would include for each response that would be greatly appreicated.

Cheers

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #701 on: May 15, 2019, 10:18:11 pm »
+2
Hey all,

Just after any tips on how to write a Band 6 Business Essay and whats the key features that distinguishes an essay and a report.

I have 2 possible essay questions and was just after some thoughts and ideas of what you guys would include in the response.

Q1. Evaluate strategies that management may use to respond to key influences  on marketing

Q2. Assess the importance of marketing strategies in achieving a competitive business advantage.

If you guys could give a rough break down of what you would include for each response that would be greatly appreicated.

Cheers

Hi Dillan!

These are both great questions although arguably, the first one may be a bit more tough than the second one.

For the first one I would take your marketing syllabus and look at both the influences and the strategies section. You then need to think outside the box and think about and question how you can link any of the influences to the marketing strategies. For example, maybe ask yourself how does deceptive and misleading advertising relate to promotional strategies, specifically advertising? or how does psychological influences impact product strategies? Keep asking yourself these sort of questions and try to make as many links as possible. I think because you are in the early planning stages, mind maps would be the best way to go!

The second question is quite easy. You can literally use any strategy that falls under the marketing strategies part of the syllabus however, I would maybe stay away from global marketing. However, if you feel comfortable writing about that then go for it! For this I'd probably do a strategy for each of the 4P's. So 1 price, product, promotion and place/distribution. Yet, the most important part is always linking it back to how the business can gain a competitive advantage. This means having really good real life case studies with statistics that demonstrate the success of the strategies they have implemented into the business. Always then bring it back to the strategic role of profit maximisation as well as how they may have increase market share and sales.

Hope this helps! ;D

tianahanna

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #702 on: May 27, 2019, 11:33:26 pm »
hey my essay question is, "Examine the response of operations and marketing management STRATEGIES to internal and external influences."

for marketing my internal influence is ethical and i was going to do promotion as the corresponding strategy but i have no idea how to make them relate?? also if anyone can help with external for marketing and internal and external for operations pleaseeee  :)

chris_tina_

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #703 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:42 pm »
Hi all,

Just revising the Finance section for Business Studies and I came across this dot point

planning and implementing – financial needs, budgets, record systems, financial risks,
financial controls
– debt and equity financing – advantages and disadvantages of each
– matching the terms and source of finance to business purpose

Like I get most of it but the matching the terms and source of finance to business purpose is not making any sense.

So my question is what is this dot point mean? and how can it be applied to an exam question?
HSC 2019 English Standard | Standard Mathematics 2| Modern History| Geography| Business Studies

codsta769

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #704 on: June 25, 2019, 06:51:20 pm »
+1
Hi all,

Just revising the Finance section for Business Studies and I came across this dot point

planning and implementing – financial needs, budgets, record systems, financial risks,
financial controls
– debt and equity financing – advantages and disadvantages of each
– matching the terms and source of finance to business purpose

Like I get most of it but the matching the terms and source of finance to business purpose is not making any sense.

So my question is what is this dot point mean? and how can it be applied to an exam question?

Hey mate,

Due to this being part of 'Finance Processes', this dot point is just recognising that businesses engage in planning and implementing. The list shows how the business does this, and processes that may be involved to achieve this.

I can think of 2 short answer questions that could appear in an exam even though this dot point is pretty broad.
1. Discuss the advantages and/or disadvantages or debt and equity financing.
2. Explain how businesses can plan or implement sources of finance to increase business performance.
Final year Bachelor of Business Student@ University of Technology Sydney (UTS).
Majors in Marketing and Human Resource Management.

HSC Class of 2017:
Standard English
General Mathematics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Senior Science
Studies of Religion I