Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 03:13:15 pm

Author Topic: HSC Business Studies Question Thread  (Read 222763 times)  Share 

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: HSC Business Studies Question Thread
« Reply #660 on: October 24, 2018, 06:21:09 pm »
+1
Hi does any one have a PDF version of a case study document other than Qantas and Kathmadu, that I could integrate into my notes

Hi!

As much as we would want to provide a full case study for you, we don't distribute copyrighted materials here on AN. I suggest looking up annual reports of businesses if you want a case study to integrate into your notes; or a quick google search helps a ton!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #661 on: October 25, 2018, 09:44:48 pm »
Hey guys, I had a couple of questions

In this week upcoming to the business exam, would it be more beneficial to do full past papers? Or study by making essay/report plans and practicing MC/short answers? Also, what’s a good order of doing the exam? Because I realised in legal I lowkey messed up by leaving the 25 mark essays last, when if I did them in the beginning I could’ve secured those marks. Also, I’m someone who always underestimates time and ends up rushing things in the last 10 minutes of exams, so this is an issue :/.

Thank you!
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||
ATAR: 96.20

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #662 on: October 25, 2018, 10:05:56 pm »
+5

In this week upcoming to the business exam, would it be more beneficial to do full past papers? Or study by making essay/report plans and practicing MC/short answers? Also, what’s a good order of doing the exam? Because I realised in legal I lowkey messed up by leaving the 25 mark essays last, when if I did them in the beginning I could’ve secured those marks. Also, I’m someone who always underestimates time and ends up rushing things in the last 10 minutes of exams, so this is an issue :/.

Thank you!

Hi!

If you think time is going to be an issue during the exam, it might be worthwhile to do full past papers. It depends on the person :-)

With Business they give you waaaay too much time for the MC and short answers so make sure to take time out from those. I did the exam in order, but here's how I spread out my time:
- MC: you're recommended 35 minutes, but 15 minutes is sufficient
- Short answers: recommended 1 hour and 15 minutes (I think?), but at most, you'll need an hour. That already gives you an extra 35 minutes for your extended responses!
- Business report and essay: all up you've got 70 minutes (recommended) but add the 35 minutes you saved to 70 and you've got 1 hour and 45 minutes! This is already a lot of extra time so you should be able to have some time left over to check your answers. :-)

Hope this helps!!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
« Reply #663 on: October 26, 2018, 09:42:30 am »
+3

In this week upcoming to the business exam, would it be more beneficial to do full past papers? Or study by making essay/report plans and practising MC/short answers? Also, what’s a good order of doing the exam? Because I realised in legal I lowkey messed up by leaving the 25 mark essays last, when if I did them in the beginning I could’ve secured those marks. Also, I’m someone who always underestimates time and ends up rushing things in the last 10 minutes of exams, so this is an issue :/.

Thank you!
Hey!
The way i tackle my business papers is...
Section 3/4
Section 2
Section 1
Section 3/4

This way i can do a big brain dump right after reading time for the reports and get SA out of the way. Then MC gives me a chance to rest my hand before tackling the last report.
Definitely, agree with FB. Even though i do it in a different order, you can still take some extra time in section 3/4. Like even though i do it third, i know that i will not need all the recommended time for MC, so i can already devote some of that time elsewhere.

Good luck!  ;D
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #664 on: October 26, 2018, 08:33:25 pm »
+3

Thank you!

Just to pitch in another perspective!

I usually do:
* Multiple choice and short answer in 1 hour
* Business Report in 1 hour
* Essay in 1 hour

This definitely will change though, depending on the difficulty of the questions but I did this for trials and the half yearly and came out pretty okay ;D
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #665 on: October 27, 2018, 06:45:56 pm »
Hey!
The way i tackle my business papers is...
Section 3/4
Section 2
Section 1
Section 3/4

This way i can do a big brain dump right after reading time for the reports and get SA out of the way. Then MC gives me a chance to rest my hand before tackling the last report.
Definitely, agree with FB. Even though i do it in a different order, you can still take some extra time in section 3/4. Like even though i do it third, i know that i will not need all the recommended time for MC, so i can already devote some of that time elsewhere.

Good luck!  ;D
Just to pitch in another perspective!

I usually do:
* Multiple choice and short answer in 1 hour
* Business Report in 1 hour
* Essay in 1 hour

This definitely will change though, depending on the difficulty of the questions but I did this for trials and the half yearly and came out pretty okay ;D
Hi!

If you think time is going to be an issue during the exam, it might be worthwhile to do full past papers. It depends on the person :-)

With Business they give you waaaay too much time for the MC and short answers so make sure to take time out from those. I did the exam in order, but here's how I spread out my time:
- MC: you're recommended 35 minutes, but 15 minutes is sufficient
- Short answers: recommended 1 hour and 15 minutes (I think?), but at most, you'll need an hour. That already gives you an extra 35 minutes for your extended responses!
- Business report and essay: all up you've got 70 minutes (recommended) but add the 35 minutes you saved to 70 and you've got 1 hour and 45 minutes! This is already a lot of extra time so you should be able to have some time left over to check your answers. :-)

Hope this helps!!

Thank you for this!! :)
HSC 2018 || Biology (90) || Business Studies (94) || English Advanced (87) || Legal Studies (91) || General Mathematics 2 (95) ||

parallaxd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #666 on: October 29, 2018, 10:37:23 am »
For this essay question "Analyse the causes of workplace disputes and the strategies used to resolve them" how would you structure it? Would you have a  new paragraph for each cause, each strategy, each dispute????
HSC 2018: English (Advanced) [90], Mathematics [97], Mathematics Ext 1 [46], Physics [88], PDHPE [92], Economics [90], Business Studies [94]

ATAR: 98.40

cthulu

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #667 on: October 29, 2018, 12:05:24 pm »
Hey guys,

are the first two dotpoints under Working Capital Management considered strategies?

Thanks

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #668 on: October 29, 2018, 12:10:51 pm »
+1
For this essay question "Analyse the causes of workplace disputes and the strategies used to resolve them" how would you structure it? Would you have a  new paragraph for each cause, each strategy, each dispute????

Hi!

Not all causes/strategies/disputes need a paragraph. I'd say you can have a paragraph on each dispute then relate it to some strategies. Remember that you don't have to mention all strategies in your response!

Best of luck for Friday :-)

Hey guys,

(Image removed from quote.)

are the first two dotpoints under Working Capital Management considered strategies?

Thanks

Hi!

I don't think so -- in my notes I've linked control of current assets and liabilities to leasing/sale and lease back. Would love to hear from others about this!

All the best for Friday!

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #669 on: October 29, 2018, 02:23:14 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanks

They sure are! Think how you can make connection with them to other parts/topics of the syllabus ie. operations
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW

Razeen25

• Trendsetter
« Reply #670 on: October 29, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »
Hey guys,

Thanks

This still kinda confuses me. Like I understand how leasing/sale and leaseback are working capital strategies ofc, but unlike the Cash flow management and profitability management strategies I don’t understand how “cash” by itself is just a strategy for working capital smh, or really any of those current assets/current liabilities other than just saying “you need to control this to achieve increased working capital.”

bronte24

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #671 on: October 29, 2018, 05:50:08 pm »
Hi just has a question about the short answer section.
Should we use case studies in every single question we can, or only when the question asks us to?
Also am I supposed to have a large business case study such as Qantas, as well as a SME case study? Should a be referring to multiple case studies in one question?
Just a bit confused
Thanks for your help  :)

cocopops201

• Forum Regular
  • She believed she could, so she did.
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #672 on: October 29, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »
+2
Should we use case studies in every single question we can, or only when the question asks us to?

for the short answer section you don't have or need to include case studies, you can use certain aspects of case studies when you are asked to provide an example e.g. for Corporate Social Responsibility you can use the body shop as they ensure their brand name are associated with good ethical values such that they sponsor/raise awareness toward social justice issues and their products are environmentally friendly... can also go under ethics vs legal
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:05:22 pm by cocopops201 »

ishhhyyyaaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #673 on: October 31, 2018, 02:42:48 pm »
hey guys,
can i include diagrams in both report & essay?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #674 on: October 31, 2018, 06:43:01 pm »
hey guys,
can i include diagrams in both report & essay?

Hi!

Diagrams in reports = 100%. Not too sure about essays though -- I never did because I see essays as texts that don't have diagrams. Would love to hear from others about this!