Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:48:00 pm

Author Topic: What prep to do over summer holidays?  (Read 3460 times)  Share 

Carocaro

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
What prep to do over summer holidays?
« on: January 11, 2020, 03:53:55 pm »
Doing history revs as a 3/4 in year 11. Any tips on whether to go any work over summer before the year starts? Or just get into it when term starts? Teacher hasn’t set anything but I keep hearing people at other schools saying how much work they are doing in the hols. Getting nervous!

greyhistorypodcasts

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: What prep to do over summer holidays?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 11:40:03 pm »
+2
The best thing you can do is consume content to do with the revolutions you will study.

If you are studying the French Revolution, I would recommend Christopher Hibbert's or Eric Hazan's 'The French Revolution'. Both books aren't too dense and will give you a good overview. I would also recommend my own podcast titled 'Grey History: The French Revolution'. Written by a former VCE student, its deigned for people coming in with no background and full of primary source quotes and historiography which can use for your essays.

For the Russian Revolution, Sheila Fitzpatrick's book 'The Russian Revolution' is also a good summary book. If you're happy with something more dense, 'A People's Tragedy' by Orlando Figes is amazing.

Cannot help with the other revs sorry, however, reading a good book or two will do you an immense amount of good.

Highlight short, sharp observations surrounding key events as you go through. These can be used in your future essays. Unique quotes (either primary sources or historian opinions) will help you stand out amongst your peers.

Carocaro

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 09:00:04 pm »
Hi Greyhistory
Thanks for that advice I’ve started listening to your podcast, it’s really good! Can I ask how recently you did the subject? I assume you did well if you’re passionate enough to produce a podcast!

greyhistorypodcasts

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:17:12 am »
+1
Hi Carocaro,

I'm glad you're liking the podcast. While the website can be a little under loved, the episode guides contain the historian and primary source quotes in written form should you wish to reference them in future essays/exams (www.greyhistory.com).

I graduated in 2012, so the curriculum has changed a little bit since I graduated. I have discussed the podcast with the heads of history departments at a few schools so I have done my best to ensure it aligns broadly with the curriculum.

Please pass on the podcast to your peers if you think they would like it. I'm also happy to take questions about specific events etc.

Cheers,

Will