Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:00:42 am

Author Topic: VCE English Question Thread  (Read 847355 times)  Share 

Max Kawasakii

• Trailblazer
  • Just try and stop me
  • Respect: +6
Re: VCE English Question Thread
« Reply #1785 on: April 22, 2017, 07:05:05 pm »
+3
I think for this topic the main idea is to discuss whether or not you think that Medea's actions are an act of justice or revenge. To start a text response essay, it's always a good idea to introduce the book and the ideas you're exploring. A stereotypical starting sentence is Set against the backdrop of ...... Euripides' Medea explores the notion of....

Further developing Zhen's response;

I'm presuming it's an analytical essay, so it's asking for your interpretation of the text in short.

Do you;
a) Belive Medea's actions were all for a cause of 'justice'?

b) Belive she was taking 'revenge' upon those who had wronged her?

Typically you chose 3 main 'arguments' to support what you belive, then you support your arguments with the use of quotes.

It's all about what you will find easier to write about, and how you interpreted the text.
'Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.' - Albert Einstein

lovebiology

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1786 on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »
I think for this topic the main idea is to discuss whether or not you think that Medea's actions are an act of justice or revenge. To start a text response essay, it's always a good idea to introduce the book and the ideas you're exploring. A stereotypical starting sentence is Set against the backdrop of ...... Euripides' Medea explores the notion of....

Thank you for the advice!

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #1787 on: April 23, 2017, 09:18:55 pm »
+2
Hey ATARNOTES so I have a language analysis sac on Monday and I've done about 4 Practice Sacs in preperation. With the grades I've received being, 80%, 70%, 60% and 70% again. My problem is that in my old school, I moved this year so this is my first and last year at this new school I always got 90%+ on my lang analysis and have always been a good english student. This isnt because the school i went to was bad. It has a higher ranking then the school I go to currently as it was a top private school. Anyways the teacher doesnt think Im a good student and has basically told me to just focus on the next sac (text response) so basically "give up" on this. The biggest problem with this is i recieved a 57% on my creative piece so I really REALLY can't afford to drop off again. I really don't know what to do as I know english is extremely important and my ranking is already super low. The SAC is worth 40 marks so its super important :(

okay, so firstly, that's kind of awful that your teacher is like that :/ since you said monday, which is probably not far enough away for you to do another practice sac, i'd recommend you check out the language analysis section of the english board because there are articles there which you could maybe do a plan for? they posted heaps in 2016! give yourself ten/twenty minutes and do a detailed plan for one, then for the next cut the time down a bit, etc. also there's heaps of examples of really good language analysis there, so you can try to work out what they do well, which might be different from the way you're doing it currently.

if all else fails, there are heaps more sacs for you to do well on, and anyway your sac will be (probably? i think every school does it) crossmarked by another teacher at your school, who might be less harsh. you said you're averaging around 70, which isn't a bad score haha. just try to remember to discuss the way language contributes to argument and remember the exam will moderate your sac performance however well you do (or don't do) (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #1788 on: April 23, 2017, 09:47:10 pm »
+2
Hey ATARNOTES so I have a language analysis sac on Monday and I've done about 4 Practice Sacs in preperation. With the grades I've received being, 80%, 70%, 60% and 70% again. My problem is that in my old school, I moved this year so this is my first and last year at this new school I always got 90%+ on my lang analysis and have always been a good english student. This isnt because the school i went to was bad. It has a higher ranking then the school I go to currently as it was a top private school. Anyways the teacher doesnt think Im a good student and has basically told me to just focus on the next sac (text response) so basically "give up" on this. The biggest problem with this is i recieved a 57% on my creative piece so I really REALLY can't afford to drop off again. I really don't know what to do as I know english is extremely important and my ranking is already super low. The SAC is worth 40 marks so its super important :(
Having a bad English teacher really sucks. I can empathise with you completely because that's how I feel with my English teacher. For me, I deal with my English teacher by constantly asking questions to see what he wants in my essay and to tailor my essay to his tastes. I'd also recommend asking your teacher why they gave that mark for your essay and what they expect you to do to get a higher mark. Also, if you think your English teacher is giving you bad marks because they think you're bad at English, try to prove them wrong and get on their good side. I'm pretty sure my English teacher originally thought I was stupid, but I presented some good pieces of writing and I'm pretty sure he changed his opinion of me. So, basically find out why your teacher is giving you those marks and ask them how you can improve. Also, try and get on their good side and make your teacher change their opinion if you.

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1789 on: April 23, 2017, 10:02:39 pm »
+1
You should feel confident that you've done 4 practise sacs leading into your language analysis sac. Not many people would have done this. It's important you get these peices graded and figure what you could have improved. For etc If your flow of structuring words and expression is poor doing simply things practising reading opinion articles from the herald sun (which is highly reccomended as the language used is sophisticated) can help alot. You may want to have a checklist of things you could have improved on and at the end of writing another essay check to see if your peice has sucessfully satisifed the criteria of the things u could have improved. For eg. If you need to i prove your expression having better vocab is one way, therefore check to see if your use of vocab was better. Like instead of saying show (which you shouldnt) say articulates, conveys etc

Max Kawasakii

• Trailblazer
  • Just try and stop me
« Reply #1790 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »

One thing so many people skip over is the following; You get your marks for your analysis NOT identification! Let me elaborate slightly, you could identify every technique and persuasive device under the sun and not get full marks. It's all about identifying, analyzing and then discussing what the intended effect was.

Do everything you would normally for the introduction, then try to focus on how the writer has constructed their argument.

Example, The article has an opening, 3 main body paragraphs, then conclusion. Your analysis should have an introduction, three paragraphs of analysis (One key argument = 1 body paragraph) then your conclusion.

In each paragraph Identify the argument technique (What was used constantly throughout the paragraph)  (e.g Rhetoric, = Identify, analyze, then intended effect.)

Example body paragraph : "Alliteration was  predominantly throughout the first paragraph, "example of alliteration", the use of the word 'x' and 'y', both highlight and enable the readers to be consciously aware of the severity of their actions, in doing so readers are positioned to feel a strong sense of justice. The use of Rhetoric "Example of rhetoric", "Analysis here", in doing so "intended effect here.

Do you see the pattern yet?
In 1 body paragraph there should be;
1. 1x Argument technique (what's supporting the argument, and used frequently), 3x Persuasive devices; You then included an example, analyze it then state the intended effect.

Doing the above x3 will get you a very solid analytical essay!

This might be a bit confusing so please ask any questions! I really hope this is helpful in someway, but remember most people lose marks by forgetting the intended effect which is the biggest part!

'Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.' - Albert Einstein

HopefulLawStudent

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #1791 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:02 pm »
+1
How do u write a creative wirting peice for my next sac

Hey!

Would you be able to please specify what exactly it is that you're struggling with?? That way we can be of more assistance. :)

Hi, for the topic ‘The play Medea is more about justice than revenge.’ Discuss. How should i start it? i am so confused... Thanks!

Building on from the high quality answers from zhen and Max Kawasakii...

You'd want to consider the similarities and differences between the concepts of 'justice' and 'revenge' and the extent to which the concepts are evidenced in Medea. Moreover, the prompt seems to imply that justice and revenge are (to some extent?) mutually exclusive and that you can't have justice without revenge and vice versa so you'd defs want to unpack the extent to which this is true/false. Basically, branch out from the topic, considering what it is fundamentally saying (i.e. the core of the prompt) and from there, the implications of the prompt and the extent to which you agree with the cores/implications.

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1792 on: April 24, 2017, 07:06:41 pm »
Hey!

Would you be able to please specify what exactly it is that you're struggling with?? That way we can be of more assistance. :)

Building on from the high quality answers from zhen and Max Kawasakii...

You'd want to consider the similarities and differences between the concepts of 'justice' and 'revenge' and the extent to which the concepts are evidenced in Medea. Moreover, the prompt seems to imply that justice and revenge are (to some extent?) mutually exclusive and that you can't have justice without revenge and vice versa so you'd defs want to unpack the extent to which this is true/false. Basically, branch out from the topic, considering what it is fundamentally saying (i.e. the core of the prompt) and from there, the implications of the prompt and the extent to which you agree with the cores/implications.
How would i best improve my creative writing
Apart from the geral tips like practise it get feedback and reading

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #1793 on: April 24, 2017, 07:18:13 pm »
Could jaded be a tone for language analysis? The author opens his piece by preceding the first 9 sentences with, 'I could.....'

To me, this indicates a feeling of tiredness or exhaustion.
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

TheCommando

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #1794 on: April 24, 2017, 08:15:22 pm »
Could jaded be a tone for language analysis? The author opens his piece by preceding the first 9 sentences with, 'I could.....'

It can i think. However you should always if this is language analysis remmeber to analysis a technique in terms of its effects on the reader, how it positions the reader to feel etc. this should happen throughout your peice

n__n

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1795 on: April 24, 2017, 08:19:49 pm »

Yup, but be careful though because jaded is sometimes used as slang for "I've had enough of this shit", so it might come off as a bit colloquial to some teachers.

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1796 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:31 pm »
Yup, but be careful though because jaded is sometimes used as slang for "I've had enough of this shit", so it might come off as a bit colloquial to some teachers.

Yes, that's true. I'm just trying to find the right tone word to capture the feeling of an author, whose writing comes across as tired and sick of current situations. The way he constantly says 'I could' is almost like, I could do X, Y and Z, but my message would never get across. It's almost like he has given up. I'm just finding it difficult to pinpoint all of this.

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #1797 on: April 24, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »
+1
Yes, that's true. I'm just trying to find the right tone word to capture the feeling of an author, whose writing comes across as tired and sick of current situations. The way he constantly says 'I could' is almost like, I could do X, Y and Z, but my message would never get across. It's almost like he has given up. I'm just finding it difficult to pinpoint all of this.

jaded does work in that context. i'm struggling to think of synonyms that would exactly match it in this context, but i suppose cynical, or even at a stretch sardonic (or exhausted? kind of basic but hey it'd get your point across), are the closest adjectives that'd also work? (since if you're cynical that suggests you've seen a lot of the same shit lmao. idk the context exactly but if they're mocking something they're tired of then sardonic is your word). but please anyone feel free to contradict this because i'm sure i've missed something haha. (:
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

n__n

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1798 on: April 24, 2017, 08:51:52 pm »
+3

If I'm interpreting you correctly, as in you're saying the author is going  "I could do this, and I could do this, and this and this, but noooo, I'm surrounded by idiots", I would probably describe it as an almost-sarcastic (maybe even satirical or cynical) and disgruntled tone. Not sure though, but hope that helps? :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:57:59 pm by n__n »

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #1799 on: April 24, 2017, 08:58:09 pm »
If I'm interpreting you correctly, as in you're saying the author is going  "I could do this, and I could do this, and this and this, but noooo, I'm surrounded by idiots", I would probably describe it as an almost-sarcastic (maybe even satirical) and disgruntled tone. Not sure though, but hope that helps? :-\

Here is a snippet of the article from the Age:

"I could remind them that for all the passion the game inspires, it is only a game. I could urge them to remember that a footballer is also a human being, as sensitive as any other. I could ask them if they would like to be taunted for being who and what they are: fat, for example."

Ultimately, he comes to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth doing all of this because no one would listen. Sorry, I should have given more context. I'm just trying to find a formal tone word to encapsulate feelings of defeat or tiredness. Thanks for all the help!