Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:12:45 am

Author Topic: Economics Questions Thread  (Read 180019 times)  Share 

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
Re: Economics Questions Thread
« Reply #705 on: October 25, 2017, 08:08:19 pm »
Hi!
Interest rates affect how much a business can invest in capital equipment, such as machinery and new technology etc. If interest rates were high, businesses are not incentivised to borrow money from the bank, reducing their ability for investment (as they would have to repay more money), and vice-versa.

Hope this helps
Hey, thanks a lot for that! That makes sense, but I'm wondering wouldn't business confidence be right as well, since its the confidence a business has in their ability to provide goods and services to the market? Or is it not a factor that affects aggregate supply?
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #706 on: October 25, 2017, 08:18:49 pm »
Hey, thanks a lot for that! That makes sense, but I'm wondering wouldn't business confidence be right as well, since its the confidence a business has in their ability to provide goods and services to the market? Or is it not a factor that affects aggregate supply?
Business confidence plays a part certainly. The changes in interest rates have a bigger impact on affecting aggregate supply as a whole compared to business confidence.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:00:52 pm by zofromuxo »
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.

PandaWithNoName

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #707 on: October 25, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
For your first question, it will be likely that you will be asked a question on those topics. There is usually one on it, it just depends on what has happened news-wise. I suspect it may be TOT and CAD or Net Foreign Liabilities this year. But don't quote me on that.

As for your second question. If it isn't on the study design then you won't be asked it on the exam.
Anything on the study design could be on the exam . Anything not on it, isn't on the exam.

Yes I am clear it won't be on the exam, but considering the question contains less competitive markets, the only way to explain it is by oligopoly market structures so on, it is hard not to refer to elements from those markets

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #708 on: October 26, 2017, 07:52:03 am »
Yes I am clear it won't be on the exam, but considering the question contains less competitive markets, the only way to explain it is by oligopoly market structures so on, it is hard not to refer to elements from those markets
That is true, but as it isn't on the study design I'm confused on why you want to answer it.

Lets say you pick a monopoly.
Its effect on price would be that it would set prices that create "super-normal profits", but for consumers is bad new bears because some of them will have to drop out of the market as they cannot afford these higher prices.
For the efficency types, you can mention how there will be a lower productive efficiency because they are the only producer of this product, which means they have little to no pressure to improve the productivity of producing this product despite the benefits it could have for the market.
Lower allocation of resources aka allocative efficiency: this is due to the factor of usually under-allocating resources to producing their product, so they can raise prices on them for consumers, who then pay that elevated price or some consumers won't purchase the product despite needing it due to the inflated price set by the monoplist.

corza000

• Adventurer
« Reply #709 on: October 26, 2017, 10:21:06 pm »
Any predictions on what might the topical focus in this exam? E.g. Housing bubble, ageing population, trump

Also what is the difference between factor, economic factor and AD factor. I've seen all of these used in questions regarding their effect on the goals. Are they all the same?

Thanks

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #710 on: October 26, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »
Any predictions on what might the topical focus in this exam? E.g. Housing bubble, ageing population, trump

Also what is the difference between factor, economic factor and AD factor. I've seen all of these used in questions regarding their effect on the goals. Are they all the same?

Thanks
If I remember correctly the exam is written in March this year. However I would keep in the mind the key economic news this year.
So yes the housing bubble in Victoria and Sydney, Ageing population and Trump would be key events that affect the Australian economy. That being said I would still use example of this year as well like the recently released Productivity Commission report called Shifting the Deal. As assessor like when students use examples to explain concepts.

corza000

• Adventurer
« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2017, 05:51:04 pm »
Thanks for that I'm having a read of the productivity report now :)

fish99

• Adventurer
« Reply #712 on: October 30, 2017, 09:11:10 pm »
Could someone help me with this question?
Identify one example of a discretionary budgetary policy announced in the 2016-17 budget and examine how this policy might influence living standards and long-term economic prosperity. 4 marks
Thanks 😃

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #713 on: October 30, 2017, 09:22:01 pm »
Could someone help me with this question?
Identify one example of a discretionary budgetary policy announced in the 2016-17 budget and examine how this policy might influence living standards and long-term economic prosperity. 4 marks
Thanks 😃
What do you need help with?

fish99

• Adventurer
« Reply #714 on: October 30, 2017, 09:32:26 pm »
Mainly the first part of the question: example of discretionary budget policy...

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #715 on: October 30, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
+1
Mainly the first part of the question: example of discretionary budget policy...
You could use numerous policy initiatives the most common ones were the PaTH program and the Infrastructure spending (like the Melbourne to Brisbane Inland Rail program).

fish99

• Adventurer
« Reply #716 on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:02 pm »
Yep ok - always confused with budgetary policy...
Thanks 👍😏

mindy.mcewen

• Adventurer
« Reply #717 on: November 01, 2017, 05:34:56 pm »
Just wondering when/to what question would u refer to the 'Productivity Commission report called Shifting the Deal' for?
Like budgetary policy, government action or?
Thanks..:)

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
« Reply #718 on: November 01, 2017, 06:06:48 pm »
Just wondering when/to what question would u refer to the 'Productivity Commission report called Shifting the Deal' for?
Like budgetary policy, government action or?
Thanks..:)
Aggregate Supply policies, productivity and potentially efficiency as well.

Cranium002

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #719 on: January 08, 2018, 06:17:02 pm »
For more useful economcs resources, just refer to this site. Hope it helps.

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/economics/Economics-resources-2017.docx