Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:20:31 pm

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38603 times)  Share 

ilikeapples

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:27 pm »
+3
Hello,
has anyone done the 2010 essay on urban dynamics? im doing my one on urban consolidation in barangaroo, but just really confused as to how I should structure it. The essay question is: Analyse ONE of the urban dynamics of change operating in a country town or a suburb.
Im kinda thinking I'll discuss the advantages and disadvantages of urban consolidation in two different paragraphs, but just didn't know if that's how I should be doing it or not?

Thanks in advance:)

Hey, I'm doing Barangaroo for that dotpoint as well, except on Urban Renewal. This is how I am structuring my extended response: First paragraph explaining bit about its history and the redevelopment its undergoing. I then have three paragraphs on the 3 different parts of Barangaroo (North, South and Central) and the urban renewal undergoing each area.
I don't think there is any specific way you must structure it, I don't really talk about the disadvantages in mine as the urban renewal is mostly all just good for the suburb but I can see where you can go in terms of disadvantages for urban consolidation (:

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2018, 01:14:40 pm »
ok awesome thanks heaps for your help...
also - do u both have two case studies or just one? I discuss Sydney in general as well as Barangaroo specifically, but do I need more than this?

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2018, 02:06:39 pm »
+1
also - do u both have two case studies or just one? I discuss Sydney in general as well as Barangaroo specifically, but do I need more than this?

You can, but it's unnecessary. Remember this question is not about Sydney. If it said "large city in the developed world" then it would be
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »
+1
I wouldn't talk about Sydney for this question, because it specifically says "occurring in a country town or suburb". You should also have a case study for a large city in the developed world (I'm guessing yours is Sydney), so make sure you don't get these confused.

So to answer your first question, yeah I have one case study for my suburb and one for my large city (Newcastle). For your large city you need to know a brief overview of all the dynamics of change, but your country town/suburb should be specific to ONE dynamic.

Hope this helps  :)
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

JakeHSC

• Fresh Poster
  • Hello, can't wait to HSCya later.
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:21 pm »
Do you think the question this year about People and economic activity will be about activity or an enterprise? Thanks :)

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »
Do you think the question this year about People and economic activity will be about activity or an enterprise? Thanks :)
I wouldn't be surprised if it is about a local enterprise, because the last 3 years have been about the activity. I think either way you can use examples from your enterprise to support you argument if it is about the economic activity.
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2018, 08:09:31 am »
+8
I wouldn't be surprised if it is about a local enterprise, because the last 3 years have been about the activity. I think either way you can use examples from your enterprise to support you argument if it is about the economic activity.

Just a note on this, make sure they can clearly see that you have written about the activity or enterprise. Just like in ecosystems at risk, they can ask "an ECOSYSTEM you have studied" OR "a CASE STUDY you have studied." If it's ecosystem, you can use case study examples but using examples from elsewhere is also important to show a wider understanding or whatever
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2018, 05:45:45 pm »
I wouldn't talk about Sydney for this question, because it specifically says "occurring in a country town or suburb". You should also have a case study for a large city in the developed world (I'm guessing yours is Sydney), so make sure you don't get these confused.

So to answer your first question, yeah I have one case study for my suburb and one for my large city (Newcastle). For your large city you need to know a brief overview of all the dynamics of change, but your country town/suburb should be specific to ONE dynamic.

Hope this helps  :)
Yep ok. Rightio;)
Thanks heaps!!

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2018, 06:50:15 pm »
Just another quick question - if the essay for EAR is about the biophysical interactions, can u just knuckle down and discuss say the hydrological and atmospheric interactions in depth, or do u have to do it on all of the interactions?
thanks again...

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2018, 07:03:56 pm »
Just another quick question - if the essay for EAR is about the biophysical interactions, can u just knuckle down and discuss say the hydrological and atmospheric interactions in depth, or do u have to do it on all of the interactions?
thanks again...

I would probably mention all of them, because they all work together to interact (therefore make it about a process) to create the ecosystem

For example, in coral reefs climate impacts the water (cyclones, temperature, etc) which impacts the coral (biosphere) eg bleaching, pieces breaking off, etc
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2018, 09:40:55 pm »
Yep ok sure I'll do that then....
Thanks for your help:):)

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2018, 11:09:51 am »
just have another question... 2011 qu for Urban Places was: Analyse the role of world cities in the operation of global networks.
can someone please explain this to me? I roughly understand the role of world cities and the operation of global networks, but how to write an essay on this?
thanks again...

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2018, 03:32:49 pm »
+1
just have another question... 2011 qu for Urban Places was: Analyse the role of world cities in the operation of global networks.
can someone please explain this to me? I roughly understand the role of world cities and the operation of global networks, but how to write an essay on this?
thanks again...

So world cities form part of an international urban network. In this question I would talk about things like networks of telecommunications, flow of people between firms, mobile networks, an inter-locking system of firms, that sort of thing. I did struggle with this question myself when I went to write a plan as I feel it's quite limiting, so lets hope they don't ask it/ask good questions for the other topics!
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2018, 10:23:05 am »
Yep ok rightio... thanks for that!
Yeh I hope we don't get anything on that...I read somewhere about only preparing for two of the topics, so I'm revising for Ecosystems at Risk and Urban Places for the essays, then everything for the short answer... saves time practicing for all three...
are u preparing for all topics for the essays??

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2018, 10:38:29 am »
Yep ok rightio... thanks for that!
Yeh I hope we don't get anything on that...I read somewhere about only preparing for two of the topics, so I'm revising for Ecosystems at Risk and Urban Places for the essays, then everything for the short answer... saves time practicing for all three...
are u preparing for all topics for the essays??
I'm planning for all 3 topics because as you said you need to know all of them for short answers anyway, so it doesn't take too much effort to know everthing in slightly more depth. I just think it's safer to know all of them in case on of the topics you prepared for has a really hard question, but it could be fine if you are spending more time on your 2 chosen topics.