Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:24:35 am

Author Topic: Geography Question Thread  (Read 38870 times)  Share 

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
Re: Geography Question Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2018, 05:26:14 pm »
What's the difference between a precis map and chloropleth map?
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:07 am »
A precis map is basically a simple topographic map which shows only the main features of a topographical map, so landuse, important buildings etc.
A choropleth map uses colors and shades to indicate the average values of a particular quantity in those areas. So this means that a map showing temperature in Australia would use the color red, for example, to indicate the hottest area, and blue to indicate the coldest area.
Does that make some sense?

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2018, 08:15:24 am »
I'm planning for all 3 topics because as you said you need to know all of them for short answers anyway, so it doesn't take too much effort to know everthing in slightly more depth. I just think it's safer to know all of them in case on of the topics you prepared for has a really hard question, but it could be fine if you are spending more time on your 2 chosen topics.
Yep I see! No - it's true what u say... I basically ran out of time to study in depth for all of them!

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2018, 08:31:14 am »
A precis map is basically a simple topographic map which shows only the main features of a topographical map, so landuse, important buildings etc.
A choropleth map uses colors and shades to indicate the average values of a particular quantity in those areas. So this means that a map showing temperature in Australia would use the color red, for example, to indicate the hottest area, and blue to indicate the coldest area.
Does that make some sense?

Can a precis map use colours like a chloropleth map?
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2018, 08:33:42 am »
+1
Yep I see! No - it's true what u say... I basically ran out of time to study in depth for all of them!

Despite this, I'm also gonna be walking in with the plan that I'm doing the ecosystems and economic activity essays, as I'm better at these topics and can make up stuff more easily, and I haven't seen a question in past papers that I couldn't answer yet
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2018, 10:05:05 am »
What's the difference between "ecological dimension" and "environmental constraint"? (2016 q1)
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:32 am »
What's the difference between "ecological dimension" and "environmental constraint"? (2016 q1)
The answer should be ecological dimension, tbh I don't know exactly what it means but environmental constraint is the environmental factors which limit a business or activity, so this refers more to people and economic activity. For example an environmental constraint for viticuluture (growing grapes for wine which is my economic activity) is that they can only grow in Mediterranean climates.

From google: "the ecological dimension describes the relationship that exists between people and the natural elements of the environment and the impacts that they have upon one another."
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

gilliesb18

• Trendsetter
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:05 am »
Basically though, ecological dimension is the relationship between humans and their impact on the environment. Environmental constraint is how the area is restricted by the environment I believe...so alpine tourism for example can only take place in cold areas with snow, obviously:)
that help at all?
And to answer your other one, precis maps can use colors, but not to differentiate between temperatures etc, more to differentiate the areas, so land use, say an area may be green to depict a park, blue is used to show water. That make sense?
Choropleth maps use colors in gradients to show things like temperature, precipitation etc.

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2018, 12:18:05 pm »
Basically though, ecological dimension is the relationship between humans and their impact on the environment. Environmental constraint is how the area is restricted by the environment I believe...so alpine tourism for example can only take place in cold areas with snow, obviously:)
that help at all?
And to answer your other one, precis maps can use colors, but not to differentiate between temperatures etc, more to differentiate the areas, so land use, say an area may be green to depict a park, blue is used to show water. That make sense?
Choropleth maps use colors in gradients to show things like temperature, precipitation etc.

So to summarise:
Ecological dimension = human impacts
Environmental constraint = environmental limits
Precis map = simplified topographic map
Chloropleth map = colours show trends

Thanks for the help!
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

Bron01

• Adventurer
  • "If you can dream it, you can do it"
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2018, 01:42:14 pm »
Hey can someone please help me understand how to work out the time of day when just looking at a photo??
Also how do you work out a semi-logarithmic graph??
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:46:27 pm by Bron01 »
ATVB yr.12 2018!!
General 2 Maths, English Standard, Senior Science, Geography, Business Studies

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »
Hey can someone please help me understand how to work out the time of day when just looking at a photo??
Also how do you work out a semi-logarithmic graph??

For time of day, usually they will get you to refer to a map and you will know what direction the photo is taken from (given or it will be indicated in the image eg look at water, mountains, etc). I like to rotate the map around based on the way the photo is facing. Then, look at the length and direction of the shadows. If they are long, the photo is likely mid morning or mid afternoon while if they are shorter it is likely in the middle of the day. The direction indicated if its morning or afternoon (think of where the sun would have to be to create the shadows and therefore if its in the east/west).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQc5DaL0WMI Here is a video on semi-logarithmic graphs
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

Bron01

• Adventurer
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »
Thanks a million!!
That's awesome!!
ATVB yr.12 2018!!

horse9996

• Trendsetter
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2018, 03:56:33 pm »
For things where they give you a key or say complete the key then construct eg precis maps, transects, are you allowed to just use coloured pencils rather than come up with symbols?
HSC 2018

ATAR 98.2

Bron01

• Adventurer
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2018, 04:18:41 pm »
For things where they give you a key or say complete the key then construct eg precis maps, transects, are you allowed to just use coloured pencils rather than come up with symbols?
I think they say to use pen coz the drawings, colour, etc doesn't show up well when they scan them in!!
ATVB yr.12 2018!!

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2018, 04:28:28 pm »
I would have thought you can, because one of the items on the list of equipment you can take in for geography is coloured pencils, so they wouldn't say this if you couldn't use them.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle