Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:43:22 am

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80072 times)

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #285 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:33 am »
+4
Hey Geoo, it's great to see another update!!

I really need to focus on the quality study, and try not to blame myself and guilt trip into thinking I need to do more.
This is a big problem for me too but don't worry! Once you start doing some more quality study you'll feel better. Of course, yourself > everything else including studies

It was a food science SAC so that was straight up my alley, and it was the first SAC since term 1 THAT WAS ON PAPER! That made me so happy. If there is one thing i've learnt this year, is that I hate chemistry questions online, I need to highlight stuff and annotate it, so it doesn't help when it's online.... Anyway it's time for me to crack open the textbook....
There's that sneaky food studies comment I was waiting for ;) Great job!

100% agree there are so many better memoirs compared to Tracks! I really loved educated by Tara Westover, and it's just interesting when you start to compare these autobiographies, and you look at Tracks and go, meh.
Exactly! I've always wanted to read Becoming by Michelle Obama but I've never got the time!

So everyone was quite separated. It's certainly an interesting set up. But I hope you got to enjoy seeing your friends again after so long, it's crazy when you realise just how long it has been.
It sounds really interesting! I really did enjoy it, I didn't even realise how much I missed them until I saw them and now when I'm with them

Aww thank you, and I hope all the bio prep is going well!  :D

Thank you so much!

Looking forward to the next update <3
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2020, 06:10:45 pm »
+5
Hey Geoo, it's great to see another update!!
This is a big problem for me too but don't worry! Once you start doing some more quality study you'll feel better. Of course, yourself > everything else including studies
There's that sneaky food studies comment I was waiting for ;) Great job!

Exactly! I've always wanted to read Becoming by Michelle Obama but I've never got the time!
It sounds really interesting! I really did enjoy it, I didn't even realise how much I missed them until I saw them and now when I'm with them

Thank you so much!

Looking forward to the next update <3
Thanks for the encouragement! I still need to find the bandwagon that is motivation but you're 100% right! Yeah I've had some family members read Becoming and they really loved it. It's just amazing to see how different people are when they have to retell there stories. How they express themselves and their writing styles are what really can make for a great memoir! It's somewhere on my "books I need to read after VCE" list.
I'm glad you got to meet up with your friends after so long, it's finally nice to be able to see people again. I always enjoy reading your posts :) Till next time.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2020, 07:14:32 pm »
+4
Thanks for the encouragement! I still need to find the bandwagon that is motivation but you're 100% right! Yeah I've had some family members read Becoming and they really loved it. It's just amazing to see how different people are when they have to retell there stories. How they express themselves and their writing styles are what really can make for a great memoir! It's somewhere on my "books I need to read after VCE" list.
That's soo true!!!

I always enjoy reading your posts :) Till next time.
Thank you, it's so kind of you to say! It's such a pleasure reading your updates :D
Stay safe!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #288 on: October 20, 2020, 11:27:02 pm »
+6
Mini Update

Random late at night compulsive mini rant. So......... i've finally started practice exams for chem, just finished the third one and OMG I just keep missing the point of the question. I either don't read all the information, skimp on the questions, or for some odd reason, jump to assumptions the question doesn't even go in the direction of. I feel like i'm in one of those quiz game shows, where they start to tell the question, but before they finish I just answer it..... without knowing the rest of the context. What's getting on my nerves, is that I know i'm doing it, but yet I still can't stop it.....

I know it's mostly because i'm tired, but it's just because i'm always tired. Ah, anyway rant over. I'm getting high 60's to low 70's in my first few practice exams. I started with 2010! Anyway, i'll make progress, but it's really frustrating when you look at the answer and it's like, a) I knew that, and b) why did I forget to draw the the last oxygen on the carboxylic acid, I'll honestly never know.  I just laugh at myself because the mistakes are sooooo stupid. Ahh anyway enough of this spare of the moment rant, goodnight!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #289 on: October 21, 2020, 06:21:59 am »
+5
What's getting on my nerves, is that I know i'm doing it, but yet I still can't stop it.....
Hey Geoo! I totally understand you, I go through this all the time! Academics can be learnt but how to perceive different questions is the hardest thing ever so I understand your frustration. Have you tried writing a specific procedure to reading each question on a sticky note and having it next to you while doing the exam? I used have something like:
- read question
- highlight key words
- re read question
- go through do's and don'ts for this question type (so if I get  a restriction enzyme question I tell myself make sure to include specific recognition site)
- answer the question
- quick scan over my answer and see if it actually answers the question
This helped me minimise my mistakes as I was actively going over and checking if I made silly mistakes. That being said, I'm still the queen of silly mistakes!

I know it's mostly because i'm tired, but it's just because i'm always tired.
I relate to this so much! Coming back home and doing it is the worst! Have you tried waking up early in the morning and doing it?

You're doing great! Silly mistakes can be fixed and you're likely to be more alert during the actual exam so don't be too hard on yourself. You're way too hardworking to get stopped now when you're so close to the end. You can do this! All the best!

dedformed

• Trendsetter
  • Don't be upsetti. Eat some spaghetti.
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #290 on: October 21, 2020, 10:15:09 am »
+7
Mini Update

but it's really frustrating when you look at the answer and it's like, a) I knew that, and b) why did I forget to draw the the last oxygen on the carboxylic acid, I'll honestly never know.

helloo bean

In a similar boat to you here, I could receive an award in how many stupid mistakes I make along the way with biology exams. Homeworkispotato has some pretty solid advice there for  what to do when you're in an exam. In terms of reflecting, for me what works is to write down my mistakes (even if I knew the answer but just misread the question) and categorise them based on "silly mistake", "misinterpretation", "genuinely didn't know" (and some other themes). As your stack of completed practice exams grows, you might notice trends in what kinds of mistakes you make and in which areas of study. There's only so many ways they can assess the same content so the questions become more predictable every time you consciously log mistakes into this "journal" that you create. You could also skim over it the week before the exam to rejuvenate the meticulous learner inside you to be hyperaware of potential mistakes

In terms of getting ahead of the questions before reading them properly, perhaps try to be more conscious of reading the questions during the exam? Like before you sit an exam, tell yourself that you'll read each question twice regardless of how easy it is. If it's multiple choice, skim the other three options that you haven't selected and make mental notes about why your choice is the best option. This may seem laborious at first, but once it becomes intuition you'll have a better grip on the what the questions are asking during the real exam.

Good luck! You still have four weeks to go and you'll be Chemistry Goal Achieving Lord with enough practice.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 10:19:52 am by dedformed »
Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota
VCE 2021 - ATAR 98.85
my vce journal!

offering tutoring for English Language 3&4;)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #291 on: November 02, 2020, 04:30:41 pm »
+7
Update - 02/11/2020 - Still Shocked That It's Time

Hello. So I think everyone has been in it's exams time to cram mode, and I thought i'd give a bit of an update just as a bit of a break for myself. These past few weeks have definitely been busy in terms of doing lots or prep for exams and i'd say i'm in the middle when it comes to productivity. I'm doing no where near as much as I did for biology last year, and i've kind of comes to terms with that. Now at this current point in time i'm feeling very neutral about things, not of positive not too negative. I've also decided that i'm no longer aiming for a 90 atar anymore. None of my courses require over 90, and to be honest i'd need to be putting in a lot more effort to get that type of score, which i'm not willing to put the effort into it. I'm not giving up or having a crisis, i'm just being realistic.

Here's the thing, I do not want to make my own health conditions worse by over pushing myself in VCE. I'm putting my health above my grades for once in my life. My predictions will still get me into the courses I need with the boost from SEAS and at the end of the day that's all I need. Why put in all the effort for one little score that could end up impacting the rest of my life if i'm not careful. It just doesn't make sense. So, i've come to terms with that I can't physically get that 90+ atar unless I push myself to death which I don't want to do. So i'm taking a bit of a laid back approach to study. I'm still making progress, but having more days off to recover from all the study. I don't want anyone to interoperate this as being negative or giving up. To me at least, this is a very positive change in mindset, a sort of recognition that i'll still get where I want to go without consuming my health to get there. So yeah a bit of a realisation for me, but a good one at that.

Now moving on:
Chemistry
I am at a point where I just laugh at myself with this subject. It's hilarious. I think I might post a complication of Geoos really dumb mistakes. The latest, "omg you're an idiot" moment, instead of n=m/M, I thought it would be better to multiply, n=mxM. Brilliant, just brilliant!
Other than that, feeling pretty positive.  Chem exams are always really nice to do as they feel just so comforting after all my other wild subjects. I received my last SAC score with a 27/30, bringing unit 4 89/100 and unit 3 76/100(ouch...). Super happy with this one, as it's my favourite area being food science! Other than that, i've done the 2010-2013 practice exams, slow but going, and i'm currently averaging around mid 70's for practice exams which i'd like to boost up to the mid 80's to feel comfortable. I'm trying to really hone in on my problem areas by going over chapters questions on areas that I struggle, but I think I might start doing this with checkpoints. Anyway, at the moment faraday's law is kicking me so badly, but once again, I just have to work on it.

Food Studies
This subject is coming along nicely, but wow I forgot how much content there was! Non the less it's going ok. I haven't started practice exams as i'm doing revision booklets and I want to use the practice exams sparingly, as there aren't many. I got my last SAC back with a 40/40, so once again stoked with this! I have quite high hopes for food studies, and I think it will be the only subject I get my 40+ with. I was really honored actually by something this week. My teacher make commercial resources for the subject, and she asked me if she can use my answers as part of future food studies resources, which is just such an awesome feeling! So yeah, wild ride this subject, but I hope to do 2 practice exams this week.

Methods
I don't care. I'm too tired with this subject. I'll do a little more revision, but I don't remember anything.... I have only done one practice exam, which was the VCAA 2017 exam 1, which I think I could only remember how to do 3 questions..... so it's not looking great. There is only two weeks till the exam, and to be honest I don't really care that much. I'll rock up, do my best, and happily do a maths course in uni to fill in the gaps. I've felt so unsupported with this subject this year, and that's demotivating. However, I remain positive, and i'm okay with the outcome of this subject.

English
incoming rantOkay, let me start off by saying I am happy with where I currently am at for english. However, I have never been so angry at my english department. The teachers haven't marked any essay that any student has sent in, and there is only a week till the exam. I'm just flabbergasted. I have never been so let down by my teachers in my life. They have decided that they will mark a few, but they will get them back to us by the end of the week...... yes because that is just so much time for improvement. I was talking with my classmates and they are equally as disappointed and annoyed over the lack of priority of our practice essays. There aren't many students that even send essays in, it's only around maybe 25 at most, and with 8 english teachers on staff for around 300 students, this shouldn't be happening.

Onto the positive note I mentioned, i'm lucky that I have a tutor whos has been fantastic and is giving me feedback. I have only done around 3 TR's, and 2 AAs. I'll be getting around to doing more comparatives in the week, but as I said it's slow going. I have gotten my writing for my TR's to 10 minutes plan, 45 minutes writing, and 5 minutes of proof reading. For AA, I think i'll shorten my planning down to 5 minutes instead of 10, but i'm playing around with it at the moment. So far, all essays seem to be at around a 7, and i'm waiting back on a AA to see if that could be an 8. I don't quite know, but i'm hopeful for over 35. And just as i'm typing this my comparative mark came in. I'm am over the moon with a 48/60! Super happy with that, and it's a big improvement from unit 3. Now I can only hope I can pull this off in the exam.

Oh, does anyone have any tips on memorising quotes? It's something i'm really struggling with. I recorded my voice talking about them, stuck them up on the walls, but nothing is sticking!

Wow this is quite long, but i'd thought i'd touch on how some other random stuff:
Spoiler
VICROADS IS FINALLY OPEN!!!! Woohoo! Super excited. However, the waiting list is quite long so that's not great...... but I am hoping to apply earlier with special considerations as I can't use public transport due to health reasons, so that is something i'm looking forward to after VCE. Instead of schoolies, which I wasn't interested in going to anyway, a friend and I are planning a mini roadtrip around vic once vce is over, lockdown has lifted, and I have my license. So that's very exciting.
I think what i'm mostly looking forward to with finishing this year, is finally having a rest. I'm so tired, and I can't wait to put my feet up, take a decent rest, and get back to life.
That was crazy long, but thanks for reading, and good luck with exams everyone!

Potato :) and dedformed

Thank you both so much for you're amazing tips. Whilst i've been slow to respond, i've been giving some of the a test ride and they same to be helping along. My mistakes book is way to long for my liking, but I think it's helping? I remember bio and the amount of mistakes I made were nuts.... you guys have brought back memories xD
I relate to this so much! Coming back home and doing it is the worst! Have you tried waking up early in the morning and doing it?
have been trying to wake up earlier, but I haven't had much luck doing them in the morning :/ But thanks for the tip potato :)

In terms of getting ahead of the questions before reading them properly, perhaps try to be more conscious of reading the questions during the exam? Like before you sit an exam, tell yourself that you'll read each question twice regardless of how easy it is. If it's multiple choice, skim the other three options that you haven't selected and make mental notes about why your choice is the best option. This may seem laborious at first, but once it becomes intuition you'll have a better grip on the what the questions are asking during the real exam.
I've definitely been trying to be aware and alot more conscious of reading the questions, and I think it's making a difference but definitely slowing me down. So I guess I just need speed up the process a bit more. Thanks for you're wonderful advice.

Good luck on you're bio exams! I know you both will do amazing!!

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #292 on: November 02, 2020, 07:01:49 pm »
+7
Hey Geoo!
I commend you for putting your health first. I like to tell my friends that ATAR is temporary but health is forever, which I don't think a lot of people take as seriously. 

Awesome job on your subjects, if you ask me everything is coming along nicely :D Your English situation is however very unfortunate, you should try posting some essays on AN if you're comfortable. I'm sure someone would like to critique it.

Oh, does anyone have any tips on memorising quotes? It's something i'm really struggling with. I recorded my voice talking about them, stuck them up on the walls, but nothing is sticking!
I like this method called active recall if all else fails. Basically, you sit with a piece of paper and try to recall as many quotes as you possibly can WITHOUT the aid of any notes. When you've exhausted your brain, get another coloured pen and write down all the quotes you missed out on. Repeat this process over and over again (but make sure you take long breaks between each recall).

It's an abstract way of remembering quotes, but it has worked wonders for me. The first day you'll find that you'll only remember a couple. But after a number of days, you'll find you can recall plenty. It's actually a very good method of memorising quotes rather than looking at notes over and over again because ultimately in the exam, you'll only have a pen and your brain to refer to. Active recall aims to mimic those contexts. Give it a try if nothing else works :)

Goodluck with everything and with VicRoads, hope you get your Ps soon!
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #293 on: November 03, 2020, 09:27:28 pm »
+4
Hey Geoo!
I commend you for putting your health first. I like to tell my friends that ATAR is temporary but health is forever, which I don't think a lot of people take as seriously. 

Awesome job on your subjects, if you ask me everything is coming along nicely :D Your English situation is however very unfortunate, you should try posting some essays on AN if you're comfortable. I'm sure someone would like to critique it.
I like this method called active recall if all else fails. Basically, you sit with a piece of paper and try to recall as many quotes as you possibly can WITHOUT the aid of any notes. When you've exhausted your brain, get another coloured pen and write down all the quotes you missed out on. Repeat this process over and over again (but make sure you take long breaks between each recall).

It's an abstract way of remembering quotes, but it has worked wonders for me. The first day you'll find that you'll only remember a couple. But after a number of days, you'll find you can recall plenty. It's actually a very good method of memorising quotes rather than looking at notes over and over again because ultimately in the exam, you'll only have a pen and your brain to refer to. Active recall aims to mimic those contexts. Give it a try if nothing else works :)

Goodluck with everything and with VicRoads, hope you get your Ps soon!

Aww thanks biscuit! You are 100% right. The atar is temporary and health is forever, and it's definitely something that needs to be considered by alot of people. I even see people without health conditions just deteriorate because they don't take care of themselves. So I hope you too are taking the time to rest up and pace you're self in this crazy exam time :)

I have started implanting what you suggested with the quotes and i'm sure it's going to do alot more than me just staring at my wall all day! Thanks for the wicked awesome suggestion, I think you might have just saved english for me! I've been at my ends wits trying to cram them in my mind, so fingers crossed I can remember them all. Thanks for taking the time to write it up for me.

Good luck on all you're exams, you're going to do amazing!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2020, 11:56:00 am »
+3
Hey Geoo! Sorry for the late reply, I've been sososososo busyyy!

I'm not giving up or having a crisis, i'm just being realistic.
This is such an amazing mindset to have! SO proud of you <3

To me at least, this is a very positive change in mindset, a sort of recognition that i'll still get where I want to go without consuming my health to get there. So yeah a bit of a realisation for me, but a good one at that.
That's an amazing realisation, and all the best you're gonna meet and exceed your goals with amazing health too!!

Good luck on you're bio exams! I know you both will do amazing!!
Thank you so much Geoo you legend! You're so sweet! All the best for all of your exams and English this Tuesday (I know most of the Journal community here don't like it ahaahha). Take care of yourself <3

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2020, 11:45:41 pm »
+9
The Pre Exam Update - 08/11/2020

This will probably the last update i'll make till exams are over. This will be a short update, and I really just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported me all from all over the forums. You guys have helped me make it through this year, and this forum has been so supportive and uplifting throughout my year 11 journey to this crazy year. So once again, just a massive thank you to everyone, your support means so much. Wishing everyone luck on their own exams, I know we will all do amazing, we have put in the effort so now we'll get the reward.

English
I'm feeling pretty prepared for the exam. I have a few quotes still left to go, but angrybiscuit, you have been a lifesaver! Your active recall has worked great and I've got 95% memorised thanks to you! I can't wait to get this exam over with, and it will be such a relief to say goodbye to this subject. I'm feeling confident in section C, but part A and B feel a little meh. I'm sure i'll be okay, but i'm just hoping for some easy prompts this year!

Food Studies
Just finished AOS 1 of unit 4, so only have a little content left to go then i'm done and can start practice exams. I'm not quite comfortable with this subject as I haven't done any practice exams, but i'm sure i'll rectify that feeling once I start doing them.

Methods
I really despise this subject, the dumb mistakes to just having no clue is amazing. Once again the aim is pretty low, so i'm feeling fine about it, it's just frustrating!

Chemistry
Still in the same position as the last update. I have only one the 2014 exam of late as english has been priority, so it's time to get on that bandwagon again as soon as english is done. Fingers cross I can get into the 80's!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2020, 09:58:21 am »
+7
Mini Update

I have one of the largest mosquito bites on my hand, and it just so happens to be on my thumb, on my writing hand..... I have an exam tomorrow, and I i'm struggling to hold a pen.... dam insects....  It's so swollen and itchy, seriously just why bugs, why!

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2020, 10:03:22 am »
+6
Mini Update

I have one of the largest mosquito bites on my hand, and it just so happens to be on my thumb, on my writing hand..... I have an exam tomorrow, and I i'm struggling to hold a pen.... dam insects....  It's so swollen and itchy, seriously just why bugs, why!

Stingose + ice pack should get the swelling down to a reasonable level by tomorrow. Add some paracetamol if it's still bothering you. Might make today a bit of a struggle to do practice exams, so potentially focus on some kind of non-writing study (eg - if it's methods you have tomorrow, maybe consider just playing around with your calculator, and see if you can discover any new functions you didn't know were there before. You might discover something that gives you the edge in exam 2!)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2020, 08:09:56 pm »
+10
Mid Exam Update - 8 Days To Go

I know I said that I wouldn't update till exams were over, but here I am! So it's been an interesting start to exam season to say the least. I actually live a long way from my exam center, so I moved up to be with my grandmother so i was much closer to were I would be taking my exams. I haven't been as productive throughout exam time, as I found that after my english exam, I just crashed. Pushed myself a little too hard, and wasn't able to do anything for three days which was annoying. My mozzie bite is looking a little better, still swollen and itchy though, thanks  Keltingmeith for the tips! However, despite that i'm still feeling pretty good at the moment, and a bit anxious yet excited with my remaining exams. Vicroads is finally open for bookings again, now I just have to wait until it's available!

English
I can't tell you how relieved I am that this is exam, this subject, is finally over. I can finally put this subject past me! I'm keeping Nine Days, as I actually thought it was quite a decent book, however, Tracks and Like a House On Fire are going straight to my fire pit as kindling. As for how the exam went, I think it went pretty well. I actually had 2 minutes less reading time as I had to go to the loo beforehand, and when I finally got back I was so happy at the prompts. Oh, I had a bit of bad luck though, the night before I had a huntsman crawl onto my neck.... that wasn't pleasant and scared the crap out of me!

For Nine Days, I got a prompt right up my alley, all on social expectations, which is my best "theme area." I wrote that one quite decently and I think it's a 7, maybe an 8, i'm not sure, but I walked very pleased with it. I've honestly forgotten alot of what i've written, so I really don't have a clue. But I think that was my best essay out of the three. For part B, the prompts were okay. The first prompt covered a very niche theme that wasn't even mentioned at my school, or in any online texts or guides, so I think my entire cohort took the second option. Even my teachers were quite stunned.

Part b went, okay I think. My first paragraph wasn't that great, but the other two were a lot better as I became more clear and concise as the time lessened. Overall I think it's a solid 7 piece, nothing to amazing. I might of forgotten to mention more about the structure of the text, but there was enough in there to be satisfactory. Part C was extraordinary bland. When I opened it up I found my self laughing as my dad is a licensed drone user, and I knew some of the lingo. Anyway, I was beating myself up for a while, as I forgot to analyse the second picture, but oh well that's life. I don't think that's one of the best pieces i've done, I think the exam pressure really set in and made me rabble on for a bit too long. I'm I can't remember if I mentioned the "do" part. I used up all my rest breaks which really helped, and was the last person to leave. But was pumped that I walked out with three fully completed essays, all about 3-4 pages long with conclusions, so very pleased with this one. Once again, very happy to say goodbye to english, I can't say i'll ever miss you. Oh and I had this thought: I memorised around 90 quotes for all three combined texts, and it sucks to spend all the time memorising them, learning them, analysing them, and never having to use it again. I know everyone will say you get comprehensive language skills, or good analytical ideas to take with you, but with science or maths subjects I feel I have learnt a skill for life with knowledge I can take with me. It's not like i'll stub my toe and remember a quote to express the utter anguish my food it going through. idk, it just feels like so much work without much return.

Methods
Honestly i'm just really numb right now. I'm halfway between frustrated and disappointed. I won't even discuss what I think I might have got, but all I can say is that it went really badly. Exam one through new things at me that I just hadn't seen before, the marks I could get I made dumb mistakes in, and overall just feel gutted. I did all the VCAA exam 1's and nothing could have prepared me for that. Exam 2 went a little better, but I still didn't answer many of the questions. It was a hot day, my heart condition didn't really like that, and I had a headache, so it wasn't the best for optimal performance. So yeah, i'm happy that it's over, dreading the results, and praying that I get what I want. I honestly feel that all my work went down the drain. Like I wasted so much time for it to be all pointless in the end. So i'm quite frustrated with how I went. But there are always plenty of pathways to get were I need to be, so I hold solace in that.

Chemistry
Chem is up next, and i'm quite mixed about how i'm traveling with it. I'm making, so many dumb mistakes. It physically hurts how bad it is. I'm hoping to nip it in the bud, but it looks a little late for that. I've got 3 more practice exams to do, and them i'm calling it, just going to be going over some notes, and harnessing on my weak areas. I'm also a little annoyed at my calculator. It's not it's fault as I input the numbers, but what it spits out can sometimes be slightly wrong because I did something stupid like press the multiplication button instead of plus. So at the moment, half way between confident and sacred.

Food Studies
It will be nice to end my VCE on a positive note! I got my practice exams back from my teacher, and it's around mid to high 80's which is really great. The hardest thing about this exam is how little time there is to think and write. There is just so much to write.  At the end is also a pesky 10 mark question that is almost an essay which isn't that fun. I've got two more exams to go, and just touching up on some of my weak areas and that's it, i'll be free.

Overall i'm feeling quite tired, i'm ready to just kick back and relax, and finally take some time for myself.  That's all from me for now. Till next time!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 08:36:09 pm by Geoo »

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #299 on: November 29, 2020, 07:10:17 pm »
+21
Update - 29/11/20 - I Can't Believe It's Over

Did that just happen? I can't comprehend that my 13 years of education has finally come to an end. I have so many surreal memories of my younger self going "that's never going to happen," "that's so far away."  I remember graduating from year 6 believing that going through primary school had taken the longest time ever, and that going into highschool would feel the exact same. To some degree it did. Years 7 to 10 for me all blurred into one, sometimes I swear i'm still living in 2015 it's weird. I've made friends, lost some, moved away from where I lived for 15 years, found out I had some health stuff, got into book reading, found out that i'm decent at english (I hated this subject since prep, and still do), dealt with itchy uniform skirts', had some great teachers, some terrible ones and along this entire school journey from perp to year 12 I still can't comprehend that's it's done. Knowing that it's over brings me the two feelings of joy and grief.

Joy, because I can now finally do something that I want to do for myself. I've been putting schooling above everything else in my life for the past three years (not one of my greatest decisions mind you), and i've barely had anytime for myself and my hobbies. I can't wait to do cooking, baking, crochet, pretending that I can paint/draw, clean up my room, paint that said room and hang out with family and friends.  After year 11, I was completely burnt out, I did nothing on the school holidays and I still felt burnt out. So coming into year 12 I wasn't in the best state of motivation, and I felt as if I was a deflated basketball that had to keep being used as it was the only ball available. I'm also so unbelievably happy to say goodbye to english. Thank goodness I never have to do that ever again. I dragged myself through 13 years of it, and never again. I already said goodbye to school uniforms when I left mainstream, but those were so uncomfortable (looking at you winter skirts.....) so yay that that will never be a thing I have to do. So yeah, there is definitely plenty of joy when I think of leaving school!

Now for the sad part, the grief. I think i'm always going to morn that stuff in highschool that could have happened. I didn't get to meet any of my year 12 teachers this year due to covid, I wasn't able to get to a science lab, or go to a formal or camp. I'll always feel a bit sad when I think back on all the times I missed out on certain "key highschool moments," or the great relationships I formed with my teachers, to my fellow peers I sat with everyday in class. I'll also feel a bit sad that due to some health issues, I never really got the full highschool experience. But overall, the stuff to be sad about isn't all that bad, and it's a good feeling to close a door (after my atar...) to this part of my life.

Regrets?
I have a few, not many though. I really wish I took food studies 3/4 in year 11 along with bio to get six subjects total by picking up another this year. Regretted doing methods online (never again.....). Not keeping in touch with some of my earlier teachers when I could have.  So yeah, not many regrets, but still a few that make me think, ahh wish I did that instead!

Now, I didn't post this update the actual day I finished exams. I finished on Thursday, and the emotions were definitely mixed. I bombed chem, which left me so down and frustrated with myself, and then I did okay in food studies which kind of just melowed out the feelings. I spent the rest of the day shopping with my mum, we went all the way out to the city, never found a park after an hour, so we went to St Kilda, then Brighton and spent 3 hours in traffic to get home. So after all that, I just came home and crashed. I just kinda slept for two days and read books and tried to tell my brain to shut up. With that all going through my mind, I just wasn't up to posting something so soon. So here is how those last two exams went:

Chemistry
I left that exam feeling more upset than I did for biology, and that's saying something. I never cried after bio, I just felt numb, but with this exam, I just burst into tears after walking out of that exam. I woke up the morning with just terrible pain in my stomach (yay health), felt dizzy and headachey all the way to the exam room, sat down feeling just crap, and tried to push myself to do an exam whilst feeling awful. I couldn't concentrate or think right. I just couldn't tell the difference between a condensation reaction or a hydrolysis reaction, didn't read questions (that one with the percentage..... I didn't leave it in a percentage because I didn't see that part), I ran out of time and left the last question plus 5 marks in the SA blank, and 8 whole multiple choice unanswered (I did randomly colour in the boxes last minute though in 30 seconds, but didn't have time to work it out). I thought the exam was easy too. The topics were right up my alley, the last question was easy this year compared to others, and I just didn't do well at all.

Just like bio, I think when you know you're good at this subject, when you love and enjoy it to your hearts content, work so hard to do you're best, but yet other factors get in the way, it's gut retching. I didn't care about what score I got for methods as I hated the subject, but with chem, it has been my favourite science since I learnt what chem was, It's what I want to pursue when go to university, and to just know that you're favourite subject, is the one you bombed, is one of the worst feelings I've felt in the world. I'm not quite over it yet, and just dread the score i'm going to get, but I'm tyring to move past it  the best I can.

Food Studies
I can end my crazy exam stuff on a mildy positive note. I think I did okay. The exam was a little harder this year, but overall pretty decent, the 10 marker was nice however I feel like an idiot, and only when I just finished, I found another half a page of writing space..... that I didn't see, so facepalm me. Also this was just so dumb:

How is a steak cooked on a grill?
A) Radiation
B) Convection
C) Conduction
D) Microwave

It was A...... but I picked B, because I had this whole over thinking moment of confusing electromagnetic radiation as the only type of radiation possible with microwaves. Big facepalm on that one.  It's annoying because my gut was A, but I over thought it, changed my mind and went B ahhhh! Anyway, the rest of the questions went fine, I answered all of them with 5 minutes to spare, and there were only a few where I was just like what is that..... Overall, i'm okay with my performance, not super happy, just fine. I put my pen down, and walked out feeling pretty happy with myself, and ecstatic that it was finally over. Then I shopped and napped for 2 days lol.

How i'd rate my exams:

1) English
2) Food Studies
3) Chemistry
4) Methods
Never thought i'd be happy with english being my best exam but there you go.

Odd ball thoughts:
I have never gone through so many pens this year..... In primary school I always never ran out of pens, this year I went through 23.
I don't know what to do with myself.
I still feel oddly guilt for not studying even though there is nothing to study.
I've already played 7 hours of stardew valley....
OMG I have so much to read, and the last book on an ember in the ashes is coming out in 4 days!
I'm scared of my new dentist this week since my regular one retired earlier this year...
I won't be getting my drivers license till next year, a story for another time, very pissed off.
My plant survived year 12 with me, I really need to water it......
And finally, I can't believe it's almost Christmas.

So for now, this is it for a while. I'll still be around on the forums, and I may revive my baking journal as I get more back into my passions. Congratulations to everyone whose made it through this crazy year, and enjoy the break! (good luck to all the LOTE kids still going, not long to go).

I really didn't mean for this to be soooooo long..... but this is always seems to happen woopps.....