Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 11:30:43 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)  (Read 22194 times)  Share 

costargh

Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)
« on: July 07, 2008, 04:59:33 pm »
Anyone do this course at the moment or planning on applying for it?

Not the Bachelor of Business (Banking and Finance) or Bachelor of Business (Accounting).

I'm talking about the Bachelor of Business course @ Monash Caulfield (where the majors are more diverse)
I found it today and it will probably be one of my top preferences
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 09:12:24 pm by costargh »

costargh

Re: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caufield)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »
Bachelor of Business
Available Majors: accounting, banking and finance, business law, economics, econometrics, human resource management, management and marketing.
CLEARLY IN ENTER 2007: 82.50(CSP)

VCE prerequisites

Units 3 and 4-a study score of at least 25 in both English (any) and mathematics (any).

Course requirements
The degree requires completion of 24 units (144 points) over a maximum of 10 years as follows:

(a) 16 units (96 points) from the faculty in the Bachelor of Business at the Caulfield campus as follows:

(i) six compulsory common core units (36 points)

* AFF1110 Accounting for financial decision making
    * BTF1010 Commercial law
    * ECF1100 Microeconomics
    * ETX1100 Business statistics
    * MGF1010 Introduction to management
    * MKF1120 Marketing theory and practice

(ii) a major of eight units (48 points)

* the major must come from the approved list of majors below
    * at least two units (12 points) must be completed at each of second and third-year levels

(iii) additional units taken in the Bachelor of Business, Caulfield campus to reach the required minimum of 16 units

(b) eight open electives (48 points)

* may be taken from disciplines offered by another faculty
    * may be taken from any Faculty of Business and Economics programs and campuses

Additional degree requirements:

* a maximum of 10 first-year level units (60 points)
    * a minimum of six third-year level units (36 points), of which at least four units (24 points) must be from those offered by the faculty at the Caulfield campus
    * in addition to specific unit prerequisites, third-year level units require the successful completion of two second-year level units and second-year level units require the successful completion of four first-year level units

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Re: Bachelor of Business (Monash Caulfield)
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:18:08 pm »
If Monash Caulfield have BEco, take a look into that as well. They've revamping it for next year and making it more flexible, so that up to half your units may be taken outside the faculty.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

costargh

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:20:48 pm »
The BEco is at Clayton (which I would prefer to do actually) but once again my shitness @ methods has made me ineligible for selection =(

25 in methods or spesh and 25 in English... unless this years VTAC guide changes that (OMG WOOD BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON EVER!!!)
Thanks btw

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 05:23:08 pm »
So your hoping to meet the BBus maths requirement through Further...?

costargh

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »
Yeh... doing Further this year instead (My sig is wrong... i was going to repeat methods but didnt want to drop either Accounting or Economics in year 12 )

Btw check your email

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 07:37:58 pm »
I'm planning to have BBus(Acc) @ Monash Caulfield as one of my top preferences.

costargh

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:45:09 pm »
See... I don't understand why you wouldn't just do the BBus and then if you were 100% sure you wanted to do an Accounting focus, then choose to major in it. Because from what I understand, they are effectively the same course except if you choose BBus (Acc) for example, you have the same 6 core units as the BBus but you can only major in Acc or Business while the BBus is a broad degree for the first year and then you can choose your major after than (ie. You have a broad number of majors to choose from in the event that you completely hate Uni Acc)

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:46:38 pm »
Hmm... I was thinkin of doing banking and finance or acc but I might actually do just BBus since the clearly-in last year was nearly the same as BBus(acc) cause as you mentioned I might hate what I majored in.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 07:51:57 pm by RD »

costargh

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 07:53:37 pm »
Well just to be clear, I don't think that transfering from BBus (Acc) to BBus would be very hard considering they are effectively the same degree. Just in my situation, I know I want to do something in the field of Commerce but I don't know what, so I ain't gonna lock myself in by choosing the BBus (Acc) or (Economics) etc

RD

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 07:58:02 pm »
Same here, I'm not entirely certain either.

marbs

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 09:53:58 pm »
I'm also in this line of thought.

But was leaning towards banking and finance, but might only do business.

Does anyone do this course?

Or heard good or bad things?

Is this a big downgrade than commerce?

costargh

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 10:00:58 pm »
Too be truthful, in terms of 'prestige' the BBus is not held in as high esteem as the BCom. If that worries you and you want a better chance at gettin into a big company (eg KPMG etc) then you might want to do BCom... but thats not to say that u cant do BBus and then transfer into the BCom.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 08:32:26 am »

BBus (Caulfield)

* AFF1110 Accounting for financial decision making
    * BTF1010 Commercial law
    * ECF1100 Microeconomics
    * ETX1100 Business statistics
    * MGF1010 Introduction to management
    * MKF1120 Marketing theory and practice

VS

BCom (Clayton)

* AFC1021/AFC1022 Accounting principles
    * BTC1110 Business law
    * ECC1000 Principles of microeconomics
    * ETC1000 Business and economic statistics
    * MGC1010 Introduction to management
    * MKC1200 Principles of marketing

(ii) at least two units from the following list (12 points)

* AFC1100/AFC2100 Introduction to finance, or AFC1030 Introduction to financial accounting
    * ECC1100 Principles of macroeconomics
    * ETC1010 Data modelling and computing
    * MGC1020 Organisations: contexts and strategies

If u ask me, there's not a *whole* lot of difference in the core syllabus.
Aside from that, if you like some of the subjects @ Clayton that aren't @ Caulfield, u can jst take the shuttle bus that runs between Caulfield and Clayton every 25 mins 2g2 classes @ Clayton.

TBH, I think most ppl still in high skool will not *really* know wot they want 2 major in.
I don't know wot I want 2 major in, but the beauty of Monash is that I don't even have 2 start thinking bout that until @ least Sem 2 nxt year.
BBus vs BBus forced major = definitely go the straight BBus and decide ur major after u've 'taste-tested' units from different disciplines.

AND... just let me say that a BBus from Monash is a perfectly respectable degree.
U guyz shouldn't worry about stuff like that.
U should b more concerned bout whether a uni offers wot U want out of higher education, not wot other ppl think bout it.

costargh

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »
Thanks Fyrefly. Yeh I made the comparison too and was suprised how similar they were. I will probably still try and transfer to Commerce @ Clayton because I live close to Clayton but in my mind I have no hesitations finishing my degree of BBus @ Caulfield (if I was accepted). I'm just saying that if you look at the intake of students into graduate jobs... I think the bigger companies prefer a degree in Com @ Melb or Monash over the BBus... but by no means would that make you unemployable and by no means would that make your ability to get a good job impossible.

Once you gain experience your degree IMO becomes less of a priority to employers