Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:31:13 pm

Author Topic: What did you enjoy most about VCE Biology?  (Read 778 times)  Share 

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +35
What did you enjoy most about VCE Biology?
« on: November 05, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »
+4
To all those who seem to be missing biology so much (I don't think there are that many  :P), what do you miss about it? What made this subject so interesting for you?
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: What did you enjoy most about VCE Biology?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:28:48 pm »
+7
I just love biology and it is hard to put my finger on exactly why that is.
However, I think that the immune system and all its intiricate arms and workings was by favourite.
But then again... evolution (as a mechanism) was pretty cool and so was genetics and cellular processes and all those cellular mechanisms. (Dammit, I think I liked everything >:().

Although I can put my finger on when I like biology. I like biology when it is shared and discussed, when its active rather than passive. And thats why AN is so great, becuase it allows this great discussion which makes subjects more intersting (I think thats someting most can agree on). Thanks AN ;)

What about you though?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:33:53 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

galaxy21

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 02:17:03 pm »
+9
Biology is the sort of subject that can make you step back and really say wow. Like, it's incredible to think that we are each made up of millions of these cells that we now know so much about, that are all undergoing cellular respiration, making proteins, and so many other things that we would probably never otherwise know about. We know how our body fights diseases in this incredibally systematic way, where everything works together to keep us alive, and how that single bacteria cell, over billions of years, has evolved into all of the animals that we see today, from whales, to ants, lions, and even us as humans. And then we are all made up of those same cells (well, basically) that all perform the exact same functions to survive. It's incredible that it we are all so different, yet so similar when you look at the basic components.

Bio is the sort of subject that the content is so fascinating, but also kinda hard learn for SAC's and stuff...definitely won't be missing that side of it.

Sad to see it go, but at least I have a week of orientation left (I put down bio again to repeat next year, but hopefully I can drop it to have a reduced load) - back to cell membranes I guess ::)

Edit: if anybody is considering doing bio, I would say do it 100%! Even though units 1/2 aren't the most fascinating part of the course (however still great), it is (in my opinion) the most incredible VCE subject that they offer!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:27:51 pm by galaxy21 »
2018 - Biology, Further
2019 - English, Chemistry, Methods, Health and Human Development
2020 - Bachelor of Science (Melbourne Uni)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 03:28:54 pm »
+4
I agree with Erutepa and galaxy21. I love how cool the stuff is when you think about how it is all happening at such a tiny scale in your body all the time, its almost like another world, but it's real.
Learning about immunity almost made me excited to get sick!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)