Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:39 am

Author Topic: Visual Arts Question Thread  (Read 31197 times)  Share 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Visual Arts Question Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2019, 10:07:15 am »
+5
Hello all,
With the essay for section two of the exam, how many artists should I be aiming to talk about? Is two okay, or should I be trying to use three? And with the artists, how many works is the minimum?
Also, at school, our teachers have never told us to include critics or quotes in our essays, but reading through some essays, I've noticed this a lot- should I find and include quotes and critic in my essay for the trial paper? 
Thanks, and good luck to everyone doing trials!

Hey, _Himani_!

I'm basically just seconding everything nishta has addressed in her response  :D I would definitely recommend having a third artist in the essay but the number of artworks themselves can be very much up to you! I only did one artwork per artist but really valued depth in my analysis, whereas I've seen sample essays that would discuss two or three artworks per artist. It depends on what you think will best illustrate your judgement and provide substance for your response.

As for quotes, I used quotes not just from critics and historians, but also the artist themselves! I've attached a sample paragraph below from my HSC which you can see how I've integrated them.

Sample Essay Paragraph
Postmodern environmental sculptor Patrick Dougherty is an American artist who utilises natural materials in his innovative ‘Stickworks’ constructions. Dougherty’s background in carpentering and his intrigue for nature’s dynamism is expressed in his conceptual practice, heavily reliant on innovation to build his sculptural forms that represent the place’s audience. Amongst these towering sculptures was his 2008 ‘Sortie de Cave’, displayed at Jardin des Arts in Chateaubourg, France which unifies the man-made and the natural worlds. This installation has been motivated by what the artist considers to be “the energy of the people and...the place” and it is this connection to his audience that resonates within his artmaking. These large-scaled buildings have amalgamated two distinct qualities of the society in which they stand on with form; the multi-storey housing typical of European architecture and, as described by the CBS News, “wine bottles looking slightly tipsy”, referencing the viticulture France is well known for. In extracting these cultural homages, Dougherty has framed the appearance of the caves with open windows and entrances, as well as manipulating height to mimic these features. Innovation has thus been conducted into the social and cultural facets of his chosen environment. This is translated further in his materials as an artist whose works are publicly constructed on-site. Gathering materials from the setting such as pliable twigs and tree saplings to create the spiralling effects, Dougherty’s construction was a temporary work that “(looks) found rather than made... by the natural force of a tornado sweeping across a landscape”, noted by art curator Linda Johnson. This reveals that the artist’s practice was inspired from the present environment itself and his innovation is derived from the culture he is representing, to the materials he employs. Hence, Dougherty caters to the setting he is provided to work in and ‘Sortie De Cave’ is a paragon of how his artmaking emerged from a consideration towards the respective environment, making it relevant to the audience. 

Hope that helps and all the best for your Trials exam  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 02:24:41 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

sierracharlie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:14 pm »
hello,
I don't get how I'm supposed to write 4 pages worth for a short answer question in an exam. I don't even write 4 pages in an English essay. What points would you put down for the longer, 12 mark short answer responses on art practise?

Also how would you structure your short answer questions for section 1?

many thanks

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2019, 12:05:22 pm »
+4
hello,
I don't get how I'm supposed to write 4 pages worth for a short answer question in an exam. I don't even write 4 pages in an English essay. What points would you put down for the longer, 12 mark short answer responses on art practise?

Also how would you structure your short answer questions for section 1?

many thanks

Hello! You'll be surprised on how much you write for the 12 mark short answer. If you compare the booklet provided for the VA and English exams, the VA ones has less lines per page than the English one (which extends from the top to bottom) and bigger gaps.

You can find tips for Section 1 in this guide right here!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Timbacon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2019, 03:05:16 pm »
Hi!

Just wondering if a question asks for us to refer to ‘a range of artists, art critics and/or art historians’ or ‘a range of artists, designers and/or architect’, would we need to refer to all those specified or just artists?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Hi!

Just wondering if a question asks for us to refer to ‘a range of artists, art critics and/or art historians’ or ‘a range of artists, designers and/or architect’, would we need to refer to all those specified or just artists?
It does say and/or so I guess in theory just artists, but I wouldn't know for sure.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2019, 08:40:27 pm »
+4
Hi!

You'll mainly want to refer to a range of artists. If possible, refer to art critics too if they are relevant to your selected artists.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

_OwO_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2019, 08:00:38 pm »
Hey! I have a question about how many artists I should be used in section 2.

I usually use 2 artists and 2 artworks ("one artist and one of their artwork" x2) and I've managed to get full marks (or v close) using this format in school.
However, I'm noticing that people are usually using 2 artworks and 4+ artworks for their essays. I'm not sure whether to change my structure for the HSC as external markers could mark differently.

What would you recommend?
Thank you

cee30

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2019, 10:20:28 pm »
+2
Hey! I have a question about how many artists I should be used in section 2.

I usually use 2 artists and 2 artworks ("one artist and one of their artwork" x2) and I've managed to get full marks (or v close) using this format in school.
However, I'm noticing that people are usually using 2 artworks and 4+ artworks for their essays. I'm not sure whether to change my structure for the HSC as external markers could mark differently.

What would you recommend?
Thank you

Hi!! I'm doing the HSC too this year!! For my essay I'm preparing to write 3 artists (Ai Wei Wei, Alex Seton and Bouchra Khalili) and referring to 2 artworks each  :)
My class and I have been doing that all year because my teacher recommended us to write in this pattern, but regardless, 2 artist is very good too! If you can manage it: mentioning an additional artwork or even an artist would benefit your essay but mentioning 2 artists and 2 artworks in depth will give you as equally amazing marks!
2019 Graduate - ATAR: 88.15
English Adv (85), Design and Technology (96), Business Studies (88), Ancient History (88), Art (85) !

If you need any help just message me!!!

gratefulness
          is the key
                     to happiness.

sunflowah

• Adventurer
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »
In relation to the BOW, how specific should your concept be?

Is it better to have a broader concept and focus on all the different aspects within that concept or just focus on one specific aspect of that concept?

Thanks  ;D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2019, 06:21:53 pm »
+3
In relation to the BOW, how specific should your concept be?

Is it better to have a broader concept and focus on all the different aspects within that concept or just focus on one specific aspect of that concept?

Thanks  ;D

Hey, sunflowah!

There’s no correct answer here since it depends on how you choose to execute it. You could have a broad concept which lends it to various interpretations from your audience (since we as people have vastly different experiences and will react to art differently). On the other hand, you could do equally as well with a narrow focus and strengthening the details within that focus to generate meaning and ideas. Regardless of which direction you take, you should have layers of meaning in your BOW, something Bea really emphasises in this article!

At the end of the day, it’s entirely up to how you want your BOW to be received and what will work best for your particular conceptual practice. Let us know what you were thinking of doing and we can provide more suggestions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2020, 09:01:19 pm »
Hello  :)

When analysing images of an architectural building (e.g. the interior & exterior of a cathedral) in Section I, what aspects of architecture do we need to take into account?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2020, 09:34:16 pm »
+4
Hello  :)

When analysing images of an architectural building (e.g. the interior & exterior of a cathedral) in Section I, what aspects of architecture do we need to take into account?

Hey, svnflower!

It really depends on the key words of the question and which aspect of VA you're being asked on. If it's an Artmaking Practice question, you would need to address material and conceptual practice in your response but if you have Postmodern Frame question, you would write more about the way the building reflects postmodern qualities, characteristics and ideologies. You might want to check out this glossary for some revision; it's very extensive but can be worth having a look at to have a few concepts up your sleeve to add to your response's metalanguage  ;D Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2020, 10:16:11 am »
+1
Thankyou Angelina!!! Helps a lot  :)

svnflower

• Trailblazer
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2020, 06:01:44 pm »
Hi!

For Section II, I want to discuss 3 artists (2 artworks per artist). Do I need to introduce all artwork titles in the introduction or can I introduce them one by one later in the essay? Are artist birth/death dates needed in the introduction? Also, are there any other synonyms for 'artist practice'?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:09:31 pm by svnflower »

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 12:26:45 pm »
+3
Hi!

For Section II, I want to discuss 3 artists (2 artworks per artist). Do I need to introduce all artwork titles in the introduction or can I introduce them one by one later in the essay? Are artist birth/death dates needed in the introduction? Also, are there any other synonyms for 'artist practice'?

Hey, svnflower!

Great question  ;D I personally didn't introduce the artwork titles in my introduction. I would introduce them in the body paragraphs as I discussed them and included information such as the year, form/medium (sculpture, painting etc.) and where it was first exhibited (name of exhibition if applicable). I only mentioned the artists and what period they came from (Renaissance, Modernist etc.) That, I believe, provides more context about the artist and the nature of their work over providing birth and death dates. Here's an example :)

Introducing Artists
Postmodern artists Patrick Dougherty, Alison Sigethy and Ai Weiwei have explored their artmaking practice with an awareness for the cultures and lives they are representing, researching and experimenting with innovative materials, techniques and forms to engage contemporary audiences.

As for other ways of expressing artist practice, you could use "artmaking" as a similar term. I also separated their process into "material practice" and "conceptual practice" because I found it easier to talk about the artist's practice like this and to then draw connections between the two as a means to explain how the artwork embodies both concrete and abstract qualities. Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-