Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:43:28 am

Author Topic: Volunteering Opportunities  (Read 1959 times)  Share 

arimit

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Volunteering Opportunities
« on: February 21, 2019, 02:01:33 pm »
Hi,
I'm in the process of trying to find volunteering opportunities- I've been on Seek and GoVolunteer but have struggled to find any of the current opportunities there that really interest me.
I would preferably like to find volunteering opportunities in the areas of animal welfare, sport & recreation human rights/homelessness and young people- hopefully doing volunteering activities like food preparation and serving, working with animals, event volunteering, communicating or teaching things etc.
Does any one know any popular volunteering jobs for young people that centre around any of these areas? Does anyone know any good charities in Melbourne that have volunteering available?
Peace and love x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Volunteering Opportunities
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 02:05:49 pm »
+5
Hey!! My fiancé volunteered at the local soup kitchen for a year or so, all she did was looked up their details and gave them a call. It would be worth just giving a call to your local charitable spots that interest you, and letting them know you're keen to help out! ;D

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:08:08 pm »
+3
Hey!
You mentioned teaching things; The Smith Family are always on the look-out for Learning Club facilitators/tutors for young students that are disadvantaged/come from a non-English background.
I did this for a couple of months last year and I found it pretty fun! ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:59:38 pm »
+3
Keep an eye out on SEEK, I’m sure more opportunities will pop up throughout the year.

I’d recommend taking a look at the RSPCA’s website if you’re interested in working with animals. You can read about volunteering opportunities here: https://www.rspcavic.org/volunteering/

Teaching-wise, SEEK is almost always advertising for tutors. Try broadening your search criteria if nothing is showing up locally. :)

I’d also recommend approaching companies that you’re interested in volunteering with and asking about any opportunities available with them.

Churches and community cafes are a good bet too!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 07:19:24 pm »
+3
Hi,
I'm in the process of trying to find volunteering opportunities- I've been on Seek and GoVolunteer but have struggled to find any of the current opportunities there that really interest me.
I would preferably like to find volunteering opportunities in the areas of animal welfare, sport & recreation human rights/homelessness and young people- hopefully doing volunteering activities like food preparation and serving, working with animals, event volunteering, communicating or teaching things etc.
Does any one know any popular volunteering jobs for young people that centre around any of these areas? Does anyone know any good charities in Melbourne that have volunteering available?
Peace and love x

I was involved with SWOT for five years. Really good programme that works to help tackle disadvantage in education. They're recruiting tutors and team leaders at the moment: https://muhi.org.au/local-programs/swot/volunteer-today/
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:22:24 pm »
+5
Hey there,

You can also look for events and see if they have a 'volunteer' form. For example, Clean Up Australia Day is coming up and I volunteered with my friends to clean up my local area. Another example is Anzac Day and I volunteered with the Red Cross to serve tea and coffee. Facebook is also a great place to look for volunteering opportunities like the Disability Expo.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 05:03:09 pm »
+1
Hi,
Peace and love x

Not perhaps what youre looking for but am putting this out there as you can do nationally recognized courses with them (that can also go towards ur ATAR) as well as community service/public relations like going to schools and stuff
https://www.ses.vic.gov.au/volunteer
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP