Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:37:23 pm

Author Topic: SUBJECT SELECTION  (Read 1799 times)  Share 

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
SUBJECT SELECTION
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:06:56 pm »
Hey guys im in year 10  and i have a few question about subject selection
If im trying to score above 90% on my atar and im a student just above average would i be able to cope with these subjects.
English- Standard
Religion and Society  - Acce;erated ( doing for the 10% boost)
Chemistry
Physics
Economics
Methods
or should i swap one of them out for psychology
any advice would be well appriciated.  ::)
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: SUBJECT SELECTION
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:43 am »
+1
Hey guys im in year 10  and i have a few question about subject selection
If im trying to score above 90% on my atar and im a student just above average would i be able to cope with these subjects.
English- Standard
Religion and Society  - Acce;erated ( doing for the 10% boost)
Chemistry
Physics
Economics
Methods
or should i swap one of them out for psychology
any advice would be well appriciated.  ::)

Hey RXFRA19! Welcome to the forums. Great to have you here. :)

A few general thoughts:

* An ATAR of 90% doesn't really exist; the ATAR is a percentile ranking - not a percentage of marks. Really small point, but just wanted to clear it up that if, say, you achieved 90% on every single one of your assessments, including your exams, that wouldn't necessarily mean you'd get an ATAR of 90.00.
* When it comes to subject selection, here are the things I'd consider:

1. Do you need any subjects as pre-requisites for any uni degrees you're considering?
2. Do you enjoy the subjects?
3. To a lesser extent, are you good at them?

* If those subjects listed best hit the criteria above, I'd suggest backing your gut instinct! Why would you add Psych? Because you like it more? Because you think you could do better? If you provide some more information on your situation, we might be able to give some more input. :)
* With the 10% increment thing, Religion and Society might not actually end up being the subject that provides the 10% extra, even if it's the only one you do in Year 11. If you're interested, you could have a flick through this thread to see how ATARs are calculated and stuff. Definitely not essential reading - just if you want to learn more!

Again, really good to have you here. Looking forward to your future posts!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
Re: SUBJECT SELECTION
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:31 am »
Hey RXFRA19! Welcome to the forums. Great to have you here. :)

A few general thoughts:

* An ATAR of 90% doesn't really exist; the ATAR is a percentile ranking - not a percentage of marks. Really small point, but just wanted to clear it up that if, say, you achieved 90% on every single one of your assessments, including your exams, that wouldn't necessarily mean you'd get an ATAR of 90.00.
* When it comes to subject selection, here are the things I'd consider:

1. Do you need any subjects as pre-requisites for any uni degrees you're considering?
2. Do you enjoy the subjects?
3. To a lesser extent, are you good at them?

* If those subjects listed best hit the criteria above, I'd suggest backing your gut instinct! Why would you add Psych? Because you like it more? Because you think you could do better? If you provide some more information on your situation, we might be able to give some more input. :)
* With the 10% increment thing, Religion and Society might not actually end up being the subject that provides the 10% extra, even if it's the only one you do in Year 11. If you're interested, you could have a flick through this thread to see how ATARs are calculated and stuff. Definitely not essential reading - just if you want to learn more!

Again, really good to have you here. Looking forward to your future posts!

I just gotta do Methods, Chemistry and English
But i also want to get an atar above 90 as Monash doesn't really select lower for my course. (medicine)
I just dont want to choose subjects that are two stressful as i wannna get a higher atar - and yeah i dont ming psychology but i dont want boring subjects otherwise im just gonna phase out of class....
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University