Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:51 pm

Author Topic: Articles User interface  (Read 3662 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Articles User interface
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:26:08 pm »
Hey so i've noticed that the UI surrounding the articles section could use some improvments
By this, i mean that apart from the hsc and vce sections, i know that there are alot more articles to access in different catagories, but i cannot access these catagories easily.
A drop down menu with all the different catagories and sub-catagories would make this alot better to find specific articles on specific topics. For example, i recently had an article posted in a section called "easy reading" but i have no idea how to access this section directly. This would be likewise if i was looking for a specific set of articles dealing with procrastination, or study as well. They just aren't easily accessible.
Also, a search button would be nice as well, just so i could search for specific catagories and articles as well

Just some suggestions!  :)
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Articles User interface
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:19 pm »
+6
Hey so i've noticed that the UI surrounding the articles section could use some improvments
By this, i mean that apart from the hsc and vce sections, i know that there are alot more articles to access in different catagories, but i cannot access these catagories easily.
A drop down menu with all the different catagories and sub-catagories would make this alot better to find specific articles on specific topics. For example, i recently had an article posted in a section called "easy reading" but i have no idea how to access this section directly. This would be likewise if i was looking for a specific set of articles dealing with procrastination, or study as well. They just aren't easily accessible.
Also, a search button would be nice as well, just so i could search for specific catagories and articles as well

Just some suggestions!  :)

Hey Adam!

Great suggestions. You're right: the whole articles section of the site could really use some work, and we're definitely aware of that fact. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of articles, but there's no easily accessible database of them at the present time.

Having the "VCE" and "HSC" tags is an improvement on what it was recently. We used to organise articles by "tertiary education", "study" and so on, but that was causing issues with the wrong articles showing up in the wrong states - obviously not ideal!

I love your drop down menu idea. And trust me: as somebody who publishes many of the articles, there's literally nobody pushing harder than me for a re-design of the articles section of the site haha. Luckily, this will be high up on the list as ATAR Notes undergoes some pretty major changes to the website, which is going to be super exciting and make everything way more intuitive.

EDIT: Until then, I was thinking of making a forum post that simply listed all of the articles we have. Would this be useful?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:00:29 pm »
Hey Adam!

Great suggestions. You're right: the whole articles section of the site could really use some work, and we're definitely aware of that fact. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of articles, but there's no easily accessible database of them at the present time.

Having the "VCE" and "HSC" tags is an improvement on what it was recently. We used to organise articles by "tertiary education", "study" and so on, but that was causing issues with the wrong articles showing up in the wrong states - obviously not ideal!

I love your drop down menu idea. And trust me: as somebody who publishes many of the articles, there's literally nobody pushing harder than me for a re-design of the articles section of the site haha. Luckily, this will be high up on the list as ATAR Notes undergoes some pretty major changes to the website, which is going to be super exciting and make everything way more intuitive.

EDIT: Until then, I was thinking of making a forum post that simply listed all of the articles we have. Would this be useful?
Just had a read over the link to the post regarding the redesign of the website. Love what you're doing with it!
It's such a shame that i won't get to see this awesome changes, additions and improvements until after i graduate  :'( :'(
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »
+1
Just had a read over the link to the post regarding the redesign of the website. Love what you're doing with it!
It's such a shame that i won't get to see this awesome changes, additions and improvements until after i graduate  :'( :'(

Depends how you look at it! There'll be lots of stuff for uni students, so don't think for a second that you won't benefit. ;D

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 05:22:23 pm »
Depends how you look at it! There'll be lots of stuff for uni students, so don't think for a second that you won't benefit. ;D
Keen to see some more resources regarding University of Sydney, ANU and Western Sydney university as they are my top 3 options.
1: ANU 2: Usyd 3: UWS

Another suggestion-what about a search menu designed to search for different tags that are in the article?

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:59:08 pm »
Keen to see some more resources regarding University of Sydney, ANU and Western Sydney university as they are my top 3 options.
1: ANU 2: Usyd 3: UWS

Another suggestion-what about a search menu designed to search for different tags that are in the article?

Nice! What sort of resources? What it's like on a day-to-day basis? Facilities? :)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 07:05:48 pm »
+1
Nice! What sort of resources? What it's like on a day-to-day basis? Facilities? :)
Well given that i will be attending uni in the next few years, what is first year like?
Definitely what its like on a day to day basis, and what sets it apart from other unis
(I have a large checklist of what im looking for in my desired uni  :) )
I'm so torn about which uni is best for me, so some stuff that would be convinving me one way or another in terms of which uni to eventually attend

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 09:34:49 pm »
Hope it's ok to bump this topic, but I was just wondering if there was a way to find specific articles? I read I really good article a little while ago, about study and effective cramming and other stuff, written by Jake, but I don't really know how to find it and I don't know exactly what it was called.
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 09:40:46 pm »
+3
Hope it's ok to bump this topic, but I was just wondering if there was a way to find specific articles? I read I really good article a little while ago, about study and effective cramming and other stuff, written by Jake, but I don't really know how to find it and I don't know exactly what it was called.
J41's made a database of all the articles here!!
Jake's written an article on cramming here: Top tips to cram successfully

Hope this helps!!   :D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 09:44:52 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2018, 09:46:55 pm »
+1
J41's made a database of all the articles here!!
Jake's written an article on cramming here: Top tips to cram successfully

Hope this helps!!   :D

Alright great, thanks!
I don't think that was the one but I should be able to find it now!
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle