Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:33:49 am

Author Topic: Methods Question  (Read 11228 times)  Share 

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
Re: Methods Question
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2018, 05:46:56 pm »
so since the coefficient of x is 1/4,
and 1 is on the numerator, we only multiply -1*1, as opposed to -1*1/4
Is my understanding correct?
Also, do you know how to find the angle which a graph makes with the positive direction of the X axis?
Thanks ;D

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2018, 06:36:26 pm »
so since the coefficient of x is 1/4,
and 1 is on the numerator, we only multiply -1*1, as opposed to -1*1/4
Is my understanding correct?
Also, do you know how to find the angle which a graph makes with the positive direction of the X axis?
Thanks ;D

Yep because this is not differentiation it’s integration so you add one power to the exponent and divide by that power. Since -2+1 = -1 then you only divide by -1 overall which leads to the answer of -1/4x

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2018, 06:50:12 pm »
+2

tan(theta) = opposite/adjacent = rise/run = m

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 09:19:08 pm »
Yep because this is not differentiation it’s integration so you add one power to the exponent and divide by that power. Since -2+1 = -1 then you only divide by -1 overall which leads to the answer of -1/4x
But don't you divide by the power and multiply it by the coefficient of x, so in this case 1/4, but how come its multiplied by 1 instead of 1/4?
Thanks ;D

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 09:43:58 pm »
+1
But don't you divide by the power and multiply it by the coefficient of x, so in this case 1/4, but how come its multiplied by 1 instead of 1/4?
Thanks ;D
You do not need to multiply the answer by the coefficient of x - the coefficient simply stays the same. You only need to divide by the "new" power, which in this case is -1.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2018, 10:27:32 am »
You do not need to multiply the answer by the coefficient of x - the coefficient simply stays the same. You only need to divide by the "new" power, which in this case is -1.
the anti differentiation formula says you have to divide the top part, which is (ax+b)^(n+1) by the bottom part, which is a(n+1)
where a is the coefficient of x?

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2018, 10:41:16 am »
the anti differentiation formula says you have to divide the top part, which is (ax+b)^(n+1) by the bottom part, which is a(n+1)
where a is the coefficient of x?
That formula only applies for when you have a linear factor raised to a power, and b is non-zero. In this case, want to use the formula located above that on the formula sheet.
VCE 2015-16

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2018, 10:45:39 am »
+1
That formula only applies for when you have a linear factor raised to a power, and b is non-zero. In this case, want to use the formula located above that on the formula sheet.
Thanks ;D looks like i mixed up the formulas, whoops :P
Also, do you know the most efficient way to prepare for a methods ac in 2 weeks, apart from going over areas of weaknesses?

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2018, 11:10:45 am »
Thanks ;D looks like i mixed up the formulas, whoops :P
Also, do you know the most efficient way to prepare for a methods ac in 2 weeks, apart from going over areas of weaknesses?
The most efficient way is the one which works best for you, and can be different for everyone :)
Other than targeting your weak areas, I would also try to reinforce your stronger concepts - these are the marks which you want to get right.
VCE 2015-16

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2018, 11:15:43 am »
+1
The most efficient way is the one which works best for you, and can be different for everyone :)
Other than targeting your weak areas, I would also try to reinforce your stronger concepts - these are the marks which you want to get right.
sac, not ac, made a type :P

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:58 am »
So the anti-derivative of sin(x) = -cos(x)
Therefore, it'd just be -2cos(x)+k^2/2

As the anti-derivative of k = k^2/2

This response is not correct.

If you anti-differentiate sin(x) + k with respect to x (ie. treating k as a constant), then the anti-derivative is –cos(x) + kx + c.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2018, 12:04:52 pm »
This response is not correct.

If you anti-differentiate sin(x) + k with respect to x (ie. treating k as a constant), then the anti-derivative is –cos(x) + kx + c.

No worries made a mistake when working with that as it's in respect to x

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2018, 12:17:09 pm »
h(x) = 1/(x+2)
the above graph undergoes the following transformations:
dilation of factor 1/2 parallel to the x axis, then a translation of 3 units down and 3 units left, then a reflection in the y-axis, followed by a dilation of factor 2 from the x-axis
My final answer ended up being 2/(8-2x)-6, however the books answer was 1/(3-x)-6
Is my answer correct, or the book's answer?
Thanks ;D

secretweapon

• Trendsetter
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:55 pm »
State the transformations that have been applies to the graph of y = -2(3x-1)^2+5 in order to transform it to the graph of y = (x+2)^2-1

1. reflection in x axis
2. dilation by factor of 1/2 from x axis
3. dilation of factor 3 from y axis
4. translation 2/3 units to the left
5. translation 6 units down
Am i correct?
For the bolded one, the answer sad it was translation of 3 units to left, so is the answer correct, or am I correct?
Thanks ;D

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 12:45:36 pm »
h(x) = 1/(x+2)
the above graph undergoes the following transformations:
dilation of factor 1/2 parallel to the x axis, then a translation of 3 units down and 3 units left, then a reflection in the y-axis, followed by a dilation of factor 2 from the x-axis
My final answer ended up being 2/(8-2x)-6, however the books answer was 1/(3-x)-6
Is my answer correct, or the book's answer?
Thanks ;D

The book is wrong. You can also write your answer as .

You can see that the book must be wrong by considering the image of the asymptote x = –2 under the transformations. The dilation by factor 1/2 parallel to the x-axis, followed by a translation by 3 units in the negative direction of the x-axis, followed by a reflection in the y-axis should map the asymptote to x = 4.

State the transformations that have been applies to the graph of y = -2(3x-1)^2+5 in order to transform it to the graph of y = (x+2)^2-1

1. reflection in x axis
2. dilation by factor of 1/2 from x axis
3. dilation of factor 3 from y axis
4. translation 2/3 units to the left
5. translation 6 units down
Am i correct?
For the bolded one, the answer sad it was translation of 3 units to left, so is the answer correct, or am I correct?
Thanks ;D

Yes, it is a translation of 3 units in the negative direction of the x-axis. Once you dilate by a factor of 3 from the y-axis, the turning point at x = 1/3 is mapped to a turning point at x = 1. Then a translation of 3 units in the negative direction of the x-axis is required to map the turning point to x = –2.

Furthermore, the final transformation should be a translation in the positive direction of the y-axis by 3/2 units (notice that when the reflection in the x-axis is applied, the turning point of the original graph will be at y = –5, so the graph must be translated upwards to get a turning point at y = –1. Similarly to above, it is not translated by 4 units because the prior dilation must be taken into account...).