Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:52:34 am

Author Topic: Internal and External Transfers - Monash University  (Read 49282 times)  Share 

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
  • Respect: +73
  • School: SHGC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: Internal and External Transfers - Monash University
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:11 pm »
I'd still apply to transfer but honestly, I think it's unlikely :(.

The JD is still an option if you can boost your WAM and if you can score well on the LSAT. Otherwise you could aim to do a full undergrad law degree as a mature age student or something I think (?).

Good luck with everything.

Why? What WAM are they looking for? Can you tell us your experience with applying to arts/law. I'd love to hear it!
2014: BA @ Monash University
2015: LLB(Hons)/BA @ Monash University

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 09:42:42 pm »
+1
Not sure what the exact WAM required is (they don't publically release one and it varies year to year with supply/demand), but anecdotally the cut-off is typically 75-80.... With a ~70 I think a transfer is unlikely (even an internal one). I'd keep working on marks and applying, though Grad LLB & JD are more likely solutions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 09:47:51 pm by Rohmer »

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
Not sure what the exact WAM required is (they don't publically release one and it varies year to year with supply/demand), but anecdotally the cut-off is typically 75-80.... With a ~70 I think a transfer is unlikely (even an internal one). I'd keep working on marks and applying, though Grad LLB & JD are more likely solutions.

Okay. That's cool. Also when did you submit your application? I know deadline says 18 oct.

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Kilbreda College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:47 am »
I'd still apply to transfer but honestly, I think it's unlikely :(.

The JD is still an option if you can boost your WAM and if you can score well on the LSAT. Otherwise you could aim to do a full undergrad law degree as a mature age student or something I think (?).

Good luck with everything.

I thought you might say that. I guess I'll just keep trying and if all else fails, JD or grad LLB is fine, I would have just preferred to do Arts at the same time.

By the way, do you or anybody else know if they care what you wrote in the statement? Like would they give more weight to someone if they thought their reason was better than someone else's based on what was written?

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 10:55:36 am »
I thought you might say that. I guess I'll just keep trying and if all else fails, JD or grad LLB is fine, I would have just preferred to do Arts at the same time.

By the way, do you or anybody else know if they care what you wrote in the statement? Like would they give more weight to someone if they thought their reason was better than someone else's based on what was written?
Can't give you an answer there, I just wrote a pretty meaningless sentence for my statement.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 05:18:18 pm »
When I was transferring from eng to eng/sci I lodged an application to eng/sci and an application to straight sci in case I didn't get into eng/sci.

The former was done online and didn't have anywhere to type up a statement and when I was doing the latter the people at the faculty of science said not to bother writing anything for the statement.

Based on this I don't think it is likely to make much of a difference.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:36:34 pm by Phy124 »
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 03:37:04 am »
According to some posts on stalkerspace, the statement allegedly did help (https://www.facebook.com/groups/128644980491374/permalink/752577484764784/).

Personally, i think if you're a fair chunk below the cut off (certainly more than 5%), the statement is fairly unlikely to save your bacon unless its mindbogglingly amazing and something they haven't seen before. Ultimately, its based on merit and the easiest way for them to do that is to go off who has the highest marks.

You say about 70 so i'm unsure but even to transfer to a regular dual degree like arts/science you need 70 minimum. I'd assume Law given demand would be a fair chunk higher than that so it doesn't seem likely you will get in. Try none the less though! As the others point out, there are always plenty of other options.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

vashappenin

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 06:24:37 am »
One of my friends wanted to transfer between law double degrees with a 72 avg but she didn't get in :( so you probs need higher than that!
2013: English, Maths Methods, Further Maths, Legal Studies, HHD, Psychology
2014-present: Bachelor of Laws @ Monash University

Tutoring VCE English, Psych, Legal Studies and HHD in 2016! Tutoring via Skype too. PM me if you're interested :)

j-awad11

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • School: Kilbreda College
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »
+2
So interesting story..

I emailed the faculty to get feedback on my application, and they told me my average was around 66, so I questioned this (because it's actually over 70), and they said that they do not use the WAM, they use the average of ALL subjects - i.e. all the marks divided by how many units you've done including older courses (because I was in a couple of different courses before the BA). Anyway in other words, my units that I did in my first semester are hindering my academic goals now which I think is a little unfair as I, and everyone else by the looks was led to believe that it was based only on the current WAM.
Anyway I had emailed Monash Connect as well because I wasn't getting any responses and they said it was based on the WAM. Two different things it seems.

So I don't know if that'll be of any help to anything, but I just thought I'd let you all know that while it had previously stated on the faculty website (WAM 75+) it's actually referring to it overall if you have been in other courses.

So that's what's happening right now and that's where I'm at. I understand it and everything but it's misleading in a way to think it's based on the current WAM when it isn't and to have one fail unit (by 2 marks no less) back in semester 1 2012 being to my detriment.

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2014, 10:20:44 pm »
^ Wow, I did not know that. Hmm, just keep on trying J and I'm sure you'll get there!!

Also, to all my Arts/Law 2015 hopefuls, how are we all going? I know I've read the course transfer page like twelve times just to see if I'm on the right track. I've also spoken to the law student services lady and she verified the information on the website. I also did book a course advice session with the law faculty but apparently those were only for the current law students so I wasn't allowed to go lol.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going in to get credit and fill in page 3 of the transfer paper. I know the deadline for Sem 1 2015 transfers don't start til October but I'm kinda paranoid that if I don't do it soon, I might miss out haha. I also might go back to the law student services people and see if they are already accepting application for transfer.

Good luck to all of us and may the odds be ever in your favour! :D

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2014, 06:34:26 pm »
+1
So I checked in with Law students services today, just to scope out what chance I had of transferring with a summer semester unit to make up 48 credit points. Apparently - and I got the staff member to doublecheck with another attendant, in addition to arts student services straight after - so long as I have the required average, and my failed unit was a language (or, for example, a maths or engineering or biology unit; something barely indicative of law performance), they are able to make an exception to the 48 credit points thing. The basis for that revelation was that the reviews are done individually, so it's somewhat at the discretion of the person reviewing my submission. To quote - they can't guarantee entry, but wouldn't discourage me from applying anyway as I still have a chance.

Now I'm not totally sure about this, even after chasing it up with multiple people, so I was wondering if anyone on here had anecdotal evidence consistent with this? (i.e., "my friend only had 42 credit points and transferred across") Because that would really make my year. If they review the applications on a case-by-case basis, then surely 7 (the arrogance) HDs in subjects with essays + 1 fail in an introductory language unit couldn't totally preclude me from transfer. Could it?

Oh, and can confirm j-awad's thing about them not using WAM.

Also, to all my Arts/Law 2015 hopefuls, how are we all going?
Hanging in there.

Dejan

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • straya m8
  • Respect: +32
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2014, 07:08:10 pm »
Hey guys, I was wondering if my chances of getting in are good enough for Arts. Currently, I am 2nd year Justice Student at Kangan Institute and taking a very rough guess that my grade average across all subjects would be mid 70's. I went to the open day and spoke to the course advisors and they told me that I should average D in the diploma and also in the advanced diploma but to be safe to average HD. I told them my grades and they replied with "You are in for a good chance". I am abit skeptical of how good my chances are realsitcally so can anyone share their experiences of external transfer from institutions such as tafes to Monash. Thanks

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 07:21:10 pm »
+2
For a single degree, i think the website says something like 70% from a TAFE diploma (60% if comming from a uni). 

I think you're in for a pretty damn good shot man

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

jeanweasley

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Trust only in yourself
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 10:36:53 pm »
@achre
Dang, really. I hope they still consider you for it since it's only one unit that isn't indicative of your law skills as you said.

@Dejan
That seems pretty good and checking out the website, it says at least 70% coming from a TAFE, however if you really want to double check, you might want to ring up the faculty.

--
Also, I hate to sound annoying always asking about the transfer and whatnot but I've asked the lady at the Law Counter saying that the updated transfer form would be up mid Sep or Oct. So far, the document is still the same.
So my question is when are we meant to start applying? I know that getting credit and having a booking with the Arts people is hard to get since there's barely any time since they're all so full so I'd love to get the credit done soon or without having to stress to get a place. So yeah, shoot me some more info my friends.

nosuperstar

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:19 pm »
Hi,

So as most are, i'm going to attempt an internal transfer to possibly law and I had heard previously that a 75% minimum WAM required for the transfer but law faculty website simply says 'a distinction average' is required, thus is 70% or 75% the minimum?

Also is it less likely that they will accept you if your WAM is in the high 70s? Mine is in the high 70s, although I assumed that since this is a competitive transfer and although a distinction average is the minimum, why would they accept someone with a WAM in the 70s when other applicants may be in the 80s or even 90s?

If anyone has answers to these, thanks in advance!