Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 02:28:06 am

Author Topic: Complex number inequality question  (Read 1401 times)  Share 

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Complex number inequality question
« on: December 19, 2018, 11:02:41 am »
Hi friends,
Could you help me with the attached question? It's from Cambridge 4U textbook, Chapter 2.3. I've seen the textbook worked
solutions, but they don't make sense and I don't think I'd ever be able to replicate the answer in a test.
Thanks
EDIT: Sorry, I should've mentioned earlier (I didn't realise that the cropped area of the photo was so large) that the question I need help with is Q6.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 11:36:37 am by 006896 »

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Complex number inequality question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:23:15 am »
+3
The solutions seem fine to me.

If not, then something's wrong.

The idea is that two complex arguments can only have the same argument, if one is the other times a positive real number. If you multiply it with a negative real number, the argument becomes its negative as well. And if you multiply it with another complex number, the argument completely changes into something else.

Lastly they finish it off by manually computing \(|z_1| = |24+7i| = \sqrt{24^2+7^2} = 25\) to find the value of \(k\) required, which consequently lets you find \(z_2\).

The other one is done similarly, but it uses the reverse triangle inequality instead.

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
The solutions seem fine to me.

If not, then something's wrong.

The idea is that two complex arguments can only have the same argument, if one is the other times a positive real number. If you multiply it with a negative real number, the argument becomes its negative as well. And if you multiply it with another complex number, the argument completely changes into something else.

Lastly they finish it off by manually computing \(|z_1| = |24+7i| = \sqrt{24^2+7^2} = 25\) to find the value of \(k\) required, which consequently lets you find \(z_2\).

The other one is done similarly, but it uses the reverse triangle inequality instead.

Thanks so much for your reply, but I meant Q6. Sorry, I should have specified but I didn't realise that the photo had other questions in it.

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:59:26 am »
+2
Thanks so much for your reply, but I meant Q6. Sorry, I should have specified but I didn't realise that the photo had other questions in it.
That one really falls out of the statement that "the difference of (the lengths of) two sides of a rectangle" can never exceed (the length of) the third side. That kind of reasoning is all they really look for in the HSC.

The proof in the solutions is a more formal proof. In the HSC, if they want a formal approach, guidance will be provided.