Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:57:38 am

Author Topic: transferring or pathways into commerce at monash from buisness at monash  (Read 6286 times)  Share 

disone

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
hey guys, sooooo i didn't meet the requirements from commerce at monash yet, i did meet it for business at moash. However i very eagerly wnat to do commerce at monash or melbourne uni is it possible for me to change courses or change course, what would i need to do \and how long would it take? thanks guys

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
If you only missed out via ATAR for Commerce, I'd recommend keeping that at Preference #1 and putting similar courses as lower preference. If you've missed out on Commerce for other reasons e.g. didn't do Methods, then I'd be a bit more hesitant and considering pathways more seriously. (It depends on your situation a bit.)

is it possible for me to change courses or change course
Yes, certainly.
what would i need to do
So you've got the following options:
1. bridging course. If you just want to do the Bachelor of Commerce at Monash or Melbourne (and not considering any other courses), you can try a bridging course. This is usually for those who missed a subject prereq, but some others do it simply because they missed out on a spot in previous years. You'd definitely have to ask around to see if this option is available though, as this is only applicable to some courses and I honestly don't know much about these. I would recommend contacting both unis to see what options they have.
2. internal transfer. If you start off by studying a Bachelor of Business or similar, get competitive grades (usually a 70+ WAM, 75+ to get in comfortably), you can usually attempt transfer and switch out to the Bachelor of Commerce at the same uni after a semester or two. To apply for transfer, you'd usually have to ask the course enquiries when you'd apply and/ or watch your uni emails, typically around the halfway mark or latter half of semester ad start the application process.
3. external transfer. Same as internal transfer, except you're going from one course at one institute to another course at another institute. Make sure to ask about course transfers before starting and when you're applying for transfer though.
4. There's probably some other options, but I've gone blank. I would probably contact the unis to see whether I've missed anything.   

\and how long would it take? thanks guys
Depends on your route, but the quickest route is usually a semester.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

disone

• Forum Regular
hey, i mainly missed out due to my atar as i got an 80

disone

• Forum Regular
i'm also considering doing design at Melbourne then transferring into commerce as it seems easier to transfer internally the to do business at monash and transfer externally (and the caulfield campus seems to be dead as stated by a lot of people another reason why i don't want to go there :( ). i just dont know what breadth subjects would give me credit and if the design pathway is actually easier?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
+2
i'm also considering doing design at Melbourne then transferring into commerce as it seems easier to transfer internally the to do business at monash and transfer externally (and the caulfield campus seems to be dead as stated by a lot of people another reason why i don't want to go there :( ). i just dont know what breadth subjects would give me credit and if the design pathway is actually easier?
I really can't say which breadth subjects would give you credit, although the usual rule of thumb is to take as many of the desired course (i.e. breadth units in commerce) as you can or relevant units in the area and achieve high enough uni grades to transfer (as I stated above). I don't know if the design pathway will be easier, but typically internal transfers have a higher chance of credit transfer.

Internal transfers: better chance of credit transfer, but less relevant to desired course
External transfers: more relevant content to desired course, but lower chance of credit transfer

To be honest with you, I'd recommend giving UoM a call/ visit to get their opinion on your situation - there's still a few hours on their hotline (phone: 13 63 52) or visit their student enquiries (Stop 1) tomorrow morning (10am-2pm), before the Change of Preference period ends for December rounds. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread