Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:18:14 am

Author Topic: Welcome to the HSC Exams 2020 board  (Read 6030 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
Welcome to the HSC Exams 2020 board
« on: October 10, 2020, 12:23:11 pm »
Hi everybody. With HSC exams upcoming, we've just created this new section specifically for HSC exam discussion. As exams get closer, we'll create specific threads to discuss the exams from major subjects - but also feel free to create your own threads/discussions.

Shortcuts:

English exams
Maths exams
Science exams
Humanities exams
Creative Arts/PDHPE exams
Technology exams
Language exams

How are you feeling about exams at this stage? :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 04:50:19 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
Re: Welcome to the HSC Exams 2020 board
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 01:15:32 pm »
Hi everybody. With HSC exams upcoming, we've just created this new section specifically for HSC exam discussion. As exams get closer, we'll create specific threads to discuss the exams from major subjects - but also feel free to create your own threads/discussons.

Shortcuts:

English exams
Maths exams
Science exams
Humanities exams
Creative Arts/PDHPE exams
Technology exams
Language exams

How are you feeling about exams at this stage? :)

Thanks for creating these Nick, I can't wait to engage in them! :)

Currently, I am just doing lots of past papers with a focus on consolidating my notes for all subjects. I can't believe it's all starting in 10 days though, Year 12 has gone very quick. :)

Keen to see how other HSC students are going ;)

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

SamGresham

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:18:51 am »
Damn I feel like things are getting serious now that there is a discussion board for the exams  :-\

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »
I agree with SamGresham; having a board for the exams is really putting it into perspective how little time is left!! I'm keen to discuss predictions for this year's questions, how everyone else is preparing in these few weeks, and how everyone is feeling! I'm feeling mostly calm, which is good since stress affects my exam performance a lot.

Alice : )
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

wendy_whale

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 06:46:20 pm »
I cannot bring myself to write any more essays for English or Legal Studies - every time I look at a question, I just go yup I know what I'll write about and give up on writing it because I'm so bored. I don't really stress before exams, this just feels like another normal exam. My study each day now is extremely limited as I'm just re-reading my essays, re-writing my evidence and doing past questions for math and chem. How's everyone else doing? I just want it all to be over.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:17:25 am »
Wishing you all the best with your first HSC exams tomorrow, Class of 2020! I'm excited to hear how the paper goes for all of you (and to see the wonderful memes that will be coming out of it hopefully in the Discussion Group)  8)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Natasack

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 09:36:03 am »
Wishing you all the best with your first HSC exams tomorrow, Class of 2020! I'm excited to hear how the paper goes for all of you (and to see the wonderful memes that will be coming out of it hopefully in the Discussion Group)  8)
A big thank you for your valuable input and assistance with English over the past months. I am quite happy how it went hence there may be a hope for Band 5 🤞🤞🤞🤞
I was ranked 5th out of 100+ in a middle ranking school. Would love to know what would be a required HSC mark for me to get Band 5?? (Standard English)

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:33 am »
Yes I agree with Natasack. Thank you so much for your constant help, angewina_naguen, for always being active on the boards and answering questions with in-depth responses. We appreciate it a lot! :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »
A big thank you for your valuable input and assistance with English over the past months. I am quite happy how it went hence there may be a hope for Band 5 🤞🤞🤞🤞
I was ranked 5th out of 100+ in a middle ranking school. Would love to know what would be a required HSC mark for me to get Band 5?? (Standard English)

Yes I agree with Natasack. Thank you so much for your constant help, angewina_naguen, for always being active on the boards and answering questions with in-depth responses. We appreciate it a lot! :)

Thank you both for your kind words! The forums are almost a second home for me and I'm glad to know that I've been able to help out and give back in some way  :D

As for your question Natasack, the required HSC mark to get a Band 5 is 80 but how that 80 is determined depends on several factors beyond my own understanding. How you arrive at your final HSC mark is a product of your individual performance (raw mark), the cohort's overall performance, your school's performance and probably a gagillion other ingredients. However, your rank is quite high so I would say a Band 5 is definitely possible if you felt that the exams went well for you as well! It'll be interesting to see how NESA marks and determines the standards for the bands this year given the controversies with the papers this year. I think you'll all perform brilliantly. Good luck for the rest of your exams  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:48:46 pm »
Hey, what do you mean by the controversies?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 07:42:05 pm »
Hey, what do you mean by the controversies?

Hey!

From what I've seen on the Discussion Group and meme pages (which aren't particularly reliable sources but that's beside the point), Section I for Paper 1 seemed pretty problematic with the mark allocations and the length of the texts themselves. The lack of a reflection and specification of the imaginative form for Section III of Paper 2 was also a shocking move. I did say in my lecture this and last year that I anticipated NESA will pull that at some point because it's not impossible but I didn't expect it to happen for the 2020 cohort. I don't think the paper was that controversial myself but a lot of people seem to think it was yikes. I think I would have been furious as a Year 12 student doing the syllabus if my strongest and weakest areas (which were actually creative writing and short answers respectively) both had problematic aspects to them.

I also hear from my Standard students that the questions for Paper 2 were similar to the CSSA Trials so I'm interested to see whether NESA will deal with this in any way  :o There's an article about it on SMH here. We'll see how it all plays out in due time though  :D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Natasack

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 08:07:54 pm »
Hey!

From what I've seen on the Discussion Group and meme pages (which aren't particularly reliable sources but that's beside the point), Section I for Paper 1 seemed pretty problematic with the mark allocations and the length of the texts themselves. The lack of a reflection and specification of the imaginative form for Section III of Paper 2 was also a shocking move. I did say in my lecture this and last year that I anticipated NESA will pull that at some point because it's not impossible but I didn't expect it to happen for the 2020 cohort. I don't think the paper was that controversial myself but a lot of people seem to think it was yikes. I think I would have been furious as a Year 12 student doing the syllabus if my strongest and weakest areas (which were actually creative writing and short answers respectively) both had problematic aspects to them.

I also hear from my Standard students that the questions for Paper 2 were similar to the CSSA Trials so I'm interested to see whether NESA will deal with this in any way  :o There's an article about it on SMH here. We'll see how it all plays out in due time though  :D
Hey Angelina 
You are probably familiar with the controversial image as well. The question asked about the form and language techniques, but I discussed visual techniques. Is that what the form means?
Also discussion groups are saying that at least 5 pages are needed for Band 5. Is that true? Wouldn't a quality 4 page essay be better, than a longer one,  but not as good. Additionally, some people write big, some smaller letters, so surely the number of pages is not the most important thing?!

BakerDad12

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 09:31:17 pm »
Hey!

Hmm, I honestly couldn't see a problem in Section 1 of Paper 1, though I can see why some people were upset by Mod C on Paper 2. I guess the syllabus does say that students must learn imaginative, discursive, persuasive and informative text types, so it was a perfectly fair play by NESA. Besides, the sample paper released by NESA had a question without a reflection. It was just one of three questions released for Mod C, so surely that was accepted as a highly probable question.

I think it's just the majority of teachers went about it the wrong way, teaching narrowly and focusing only on one form combined with a reflection. What do you guys think? Wouldn't mind a debate haha.

rirerire

• MOTM: OCT 20
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 10:18:34 pm »

Hmm, I honestly couldn't see a problem in Section 1 of Paper 1, though I can see why some people were upset by Mod C on Paper 2. I guess the syllabus does say that students must learn imaginative, discursive, persuasive and informative text types, so it was a perfectly fair play by NESA. Besides, the sample paper released by NESA had a question without a reflection. It was just one of three questions released for Mod C, so surely that was accepted as a highly probable question.

I think it's just the majority of teachers went about it the wrong way, teaching narrowly and focusing only on one form combined with a reflection. What do you guys think? Wouldn't mind a debate haha.
same I saw no problem w section 1 however mod C did throw people off- I know a number of people who ended up writing a reflection too just in the confusion of the moment. tbh I'm actually glad they did that in some ways...because it really evened out the 2 papers as a whole which had no curveballs and kind of straightforward questions. however I'm not sure if it's "fair" on nesa's part... some schools were completely ill prepared for the imaginative text type as many focused on the discursive/reflection because of the new syllabus...why bother changing up the syllabus if you're not even gonna test out its new bells and whistles in only its second year?

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 09:43:51 am »
You are probably familiar with the controversial image as well. The question asked about the form and language techniques, but I discussed visual techniques. Is that what the form means?

Yeah, I talked about visual techniques also, like vectors protruding from the Sun, I think that question was worded weirdly.

Also, for Paper 2 in the creative story, did anyone begin with the stimulus (even though it said not to write the full thing out), because I quoted different parts of the stimulus throughout my creative, did anyone else do this?

Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5