Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:51:27 am

Author Topic: How do I get into dentistry in QLD?  (Read 3407 times)

snr.mmorris4.19

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How do I get into dentistry in QLD?
« on: September 28, 2020, 06:18:51 pm »
Hi all,
I'm a graduating year 12 student from QLD with the new ATAR system, but I am afraid that my english mark is too low to get me into undergraduate dentistry. My grades thus far are:

Math Methods – A
Biology – A
Chemistry – A
Physics – A
English B-
Religion and Ethics (doesn't count towards ATAR) – C (i don't study it lol)

Dentistry is extremely competitive and I need a high 99 ATAR to get into either JCU, Griffith, or UQ dentistry as a year 12 graduate.

My question is: If I get rejected by all three universities I just listed for undergraduate dentistry, what are my pathway options?

Should I apply for a bachelor of biomedical science? I heard that bachelor of science is more versatile but I'm not sure, because I would probably make a stronger friend group in biomedical science due to most peoples intentions being to get into medicine or dentistry. But then again, this means that competition is even more fierce because we have the same intentions. I'm left in a big dilemma right now. What other bachelors could gain me entrance to dentistry? Is it better if i do the bachelor at UQ, since it is a Go8 university? There is an 'accelerated' bachelor of biomedical science at USC which is 2 years as opposed to the 3 years offered by most other uni's in QLD, is this the optimal pathway?

I'm really lost right now, thanks for any help though!

tinglewood

• Adventurer
Re: How do I get into dentistry in QLD?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 10:21:56 am »
+2
Firstly, your B in English may still give you an ATAR that is 97+ (this was the case with my brother last year who also had a low B in English but A in everything else. Secondly, you have not mentioned if you sat the UCAT as it is a requirement for a number of the universities that you listed. Also are you eligible for any EAS as this may give you the points you need to get you over the 99 for UQ. If you go down the graduate route you need to be aware that some universities do not accept the accelerated 2 years degrees so you will need to check on that. Finally, as both medicine and dentistry are so competitive you have no guarantee that you will be successful therefore I would encourage you to  pick a degree that is in a field that you will happy to work should dentistry not eventuate. I know from my own research as I am in a similar dilemma (hoping to get into medicine) that biomedical degrees do not provide an good career pathway too little jobs for the number of graduates. Have you considered applying to other states? Also if you need more information check out the medonline forums they have some excellent advice https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/
Good luck

snr.mmorris4.19

• Adventurer
Re: How do I get into dentistry in QLD?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 11:57:30 pm »
Firstly, your B in English may still give you an ATAR that is 97+ (this was the case with my brother last year who also had a low B in English but A in everything else. Secondly, you have not mentioned if you sat the UCAT as it is a requirement for a number of the universities that you listed. Also are you eligible for any EAS as this may give you the points you need to get you over the 99 for UQ. If you go down the graduate route you need to be aware that some universities do not accept the accelerated 2 years degrees so you will need to check on that. Finally, as both medicine and dentistry are so competitive you have no guarantee that you will be successful therefore I would encourage you to  pick a degree that is in a field that you will happy to work should dentistry not eventuate. I know from my own research as I am in a similar dilemma (hoping to get into medicine) that biomedical degrees do not provide an good career pathway too little jobs for the number of graduates. Have you considered applying to other states? Also if you need more information check out the medonline forums they have some excellent advice https://medstudentsonline.com.au/forum/
Good luck
Thanks for your input. I have concluded that all I can do is do my best in the upcoming exams and hope for the best ATAR. If my ATAR is not competitive enough, then I have decided that a bachelor of commerce (major in finance and accounting) is something I would love to do, and the job prospects are very versatile. With this bachelor, I will be able to get a high GPA with ease compared to a bachelor in biomedical science as well as having time to study for the UCAT and hopefully get a high score in that aswell. Ideally if I don't slack off, I have no reason to not achieve a GPA of 7 in commerce in the first year. It's only 4 introductory courses and the topics are easy to pick up. Either way, I should be fine! :)