Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 10:59:11 pm

Author Topic: How do you guys study biology?  (Read 836 times)

Delis101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How do you guys study biology?
« on: July 18, 2020, 05:56:04 pm »
Hello, I'm am wondering what is the best way to study Biology or the ways you guys do it.
I'm studying early for the final unit 3 and 4 exam

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: How do you guys study biology?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
+4
Hello, I'm am wondering what is the best way to study Biology or the ways you guys do it.

Practice questions are the best way to get used to answering exam questions because not only is it testing your knowledge of the content, you are learning how to answer the questions in the way they want. The most important thing is that you thoroughly go through the questions that you got wrong and redo them or make sure you spend time making sure you completely understand it (it may seem obvious but I found it so easy to believe I was being more productive by quickly ticking/crossing and spending the time doing as many questions as possible). You will get used to knowing what specific info they want you to put in the answer.

Also note writing it valuable if you are doing it in an active way and thinking about things and summarising in your own way.

I found it helpful to do a mindmap for each area of study with single words to feel a bit more confident that you are aware of everything broadly and can draw your attention to words that might not mean much and you might want to go back to. (Read the study design!!)
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
Re: How do you guys study biology?
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:27:12 pm »
+4

Hey Delis101!

Just adding onto the awesome methods previously suggested.

Its great that you have started studying early for your final exam, it means you will be able to have lots of time to understand the content thoroughly.
I would suggest using productivity apps like "Forest", using flashcards and regularly revising and writing out your notes as well. Also, "Anki" is a good app to use to regularly revise concepts as much as you need and it is based on the Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve:

As you have lots of time before your exam, you can use this to your advantage to consolidate concepts into your long term memory as Biology is very content heavy.

Also:
🌴 100% agree with Owlbird83's suggestion about doing heaps of practice questions and exams before the real exam. Biology is all about applying your understanding and being able to structure a coherent response under timed conditions
🌴 Also, if you run out of questions, go through the syllabus (or study design?) for Biology and create your own questions using the available dot points

Goodluck and I hope this help!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:20:24 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5