Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:45:28 pm

Author Topic: LaTrobe Dent ATAR  (Read 17730 times)  Share 

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
LaTrobe Dent ATAR
« on: June 22, 2015, 07:35:03 pm »
+1
According to heresay, people seem to believe that an ATAR of 99+ is needed to get in. However, according to this link http://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/aspire/minimum-atar-requirements you only need a 97?

Really confused at the moment, hoping someone can clarify.

Cheers.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: LaTrobe Dent ATAR
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:49:14 pm »
+1
That's for the aspire program. Students who apply need to meet those requirements to get into that specified course (it is different from the general undergraduate entry).

More info here: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/aspire

Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 10:43:18 pm »
That's for the aspire program. Students who apply need to meet those requirements to get into that specified course (it is different from the general undergraduate entry).

More info here: http://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/aspire

Welp, there goes my dream ahaha

Thanks for the reply.

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 12:15:57 am »
+1
It's still worth applying for Aspire! :) I applied last year for Dentistry and got in. From experience, you don't need something extravagant to get in, I know a friend who just wrote about his house captaincy.
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]
My Indo Advice Thread :)

Tutoring for Methods in 2020.
Click here for more info

IndefatigableLover

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • What kind of shoes do ninjas wear? Sneakers.
  • Respect: +105
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »
It's still worth applying for Aspire! :) I applied last year for Dentistry and got in. From experience, you don't need something extravagant to get in, I know a friend who just wrote about his house captaincy.
Oh that's good as! In your application, do you talk about multiple positions and all or just the one?

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 03:14:53 pm »
+3
Oh that's good as! In your application, do you talk about multiple positions and all or just the one?
It's up to you really, I only had one thing (face painting in church and primary school events) so that's all I could write about. Other friends wrote about the multiple things they did, e.g. dance, youth group, kids church, captaincy.

I think what they're looking for is simply you to be doing any form of community work, and from there they look at the predicted ATAR your school will provide them. (don't take my word on this though haha). For example, I had two classmates who applied for Physio. One of them just wrote about house captaincy while the other wrote about 5 different things she had done. The one who wrote about house captaincy got into Aspire for Physio while the other didn't. The one who didn't get in called them up and they told her that it was probably because the school's predicted ATAR wasn't high enough.
Pls do not send me a pm about Aspire applications. The process has vastly changed since I applied.

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 07:02:02 pm »
How did you manage to flesh out face painting at church and primary school events into 400 words? You've given me some hope ahaha.

So what you're ostensibly saying is that they care less about community work than you think, and it wont require much to satisfy this criteria. They are more looking for an assurance from the school that you'll get an ATAR for that course?

You've given me hope. 

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:06:18 am »
+3

How did you manage to flesh out face painting at church and primary school events into 400 words? You've given me some hope ahaha. 
Iirc, I talked about how long I've been doing it, where I do it, what kind of impact I think I have etc. Oh I also had volunteering in kids church. If you'd like I can try find my Aspire drafts and pm/email that to you :)

So what you're ostensibly saying is that they care less about community work than you think, and it wont require much to satisfy this criteria. They are more looking for an assurance from the school that you'll get an ATAR for that course?

Hmm, sort of. It's like a set of criteria, does person X have some sort of community work? Check. Does their predicted ATAR meet our requirements? Check. Tbh I don't really know, but that's how I felt they did the process, from hearing friend's stories.

Also if you have a lot of things, pick the main few, because you want to be able to write about each one, not just dump a whole list of things you do without explaining it etc.

Don't fret too much about Aspire, if you have something you contribute to community/school and are doing pretty well in school, I think you have a fairly good chance of being accepted :)

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:26:33 pm »
Ah ok, cheers for the advice. If you could try and find some drafts of your Applications I'd be grateful!

Also, I've another question.

According to this link: http://latrobe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/781/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM1MTM3ODEwL3NpZC9PT3k1VUdwbQ%3D%3D

Students in RA2 areas (which I am) receive 10 Aggregate points when applying to courses listed in Bendigo (ie. Dent). However, it says below that that the students in areas 3-7 receive ATAR bonuses for dent.

Does this mean that me (in an RA2 area) would not receive this 10 aggregate boost because of the ATAR boosts for the more rural people? In other words, does the exception made to the dent course mean I don't get a 10 aggregate boost which I otherwise would have received for other La Trobe courses?

Also, does the Aspire program still allow you to boost your ATAR with rural/SEAS bonuses?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:23:53 pm by dankfrank420 »

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 06:08:47 pm »
+1
Ah ok, cheers for the advice. If you could try and find some drafts of your Applications I'd be grateful!
Found it! AN's pms are down and I'd prefer not to publish my Aspire app on a public forum, do you have an email I could send it to? (Is it the email linked to your profile?)

According to this link: http://latrobe.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/781/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM1MTM3ODEwL3NpZC9PT3k1VUdwbQ%3D%3D

Students in RA2 areas (which I am) receive 10 Aggregate points when applying to courses listed in Bendigo (ie. Dent). However, it says below that that the students in areas 3-7 receive ATAR bonuses for dent.

Does this mean that me (in an RA2 area) would not receive this 10 aggregate boost because of the ATAR boosts for the more rural people? In other words, does the exception made to the dent course mean I don't get a 10 aggregate boost which I otherwise would have received for other La Trobe courses?

Also, does the Aspire program still allow you to boost your ATAR with rural/SEAS bonuses?

I'm not familiar with the admin side of Aspire, especially rural stuff given I applied as a metropolitan student. I don't want to give you any wrong information, so it would be best for you to contact Latrobe directly about it :)

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »
Found it! AN's pms are down and I'd prefer not to publish my Aspire app on a public forum, do you have an email I could send it to? (Is it the email linked to your profile?)

Yep  :)

I'm not familiar with the admin side of Aspire, especially rural stuff given I applied as a metropolitan student. I don't want to give you any wrong information, so it would be best for you to contact Latrobe directly about it :)

Fair enough.

You've been an immense help regardless.  :)

auds

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »
+3
Emailed it! Let me know if you receive or not :)

Indo SL [50]

Click here for more info

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »
Yeah, got it cheers.

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 09:03:20 pm »
Sorry to bump this thread (yet again), but could anyone who got clearly in last year (or a couple years before that) tell me what their atar was? All the website says is R/C (range of criteria I assume).

BoredSatan

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • <3
  • Respect: +72
  • School: GWSC
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:02 am »
+2
Usually for metro kids its around 99+ but if you're from a rural area then you get 10 bonus points meaning an atar of 90+ will get you in
Master of Dentistry, Latrobe University 2011 ATAR: 99.75
ATARnotes Accounting Unit 3&4 Study Guide Author