Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:20:13 am

Author Topic: How to Revise Knowledge of Metalanguage.  (Read 2225 times)  Share 

ConFinCMC

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +22
How to Revise Knowledge of Metalanguage.
« on: September 09, 2020, 06:52:54 pm »
Hi.
I feel that my biggest flaw when it comes to English Language is trying to revise my knowledge on Metalanguage. Do any current or past student have any tips on how I can get better at my knowledge of Metalanguage? Remembering things like Syntactic Features, Lexical Features, when to talk about Cohesion and Coherence, etc.
2020- 53.35

English Lang. <20
History: Revolutions. <20
French: 27
Biology: 28
Drama: 24

"Well, it doesn't define who I am, but it does a bloody good job at crushing my spirit and self-esteem"

2021- Gap Year, working in Bright at the snowfields (guys, this is so much fun)

2022- Fed University, Fast Access Program Diploma

If anyone wants advice on what NOT to do, feel free to send me a message.

interessant

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +31
Re: How to Revise Knowledge of Metalanguage.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 03:28:55 pm »
+3
Writing down the definitions and then making/finding some examples on the internet for each metalanguage term is a good way to start- the Connect Education Metalanguage Bank is really useful for that.

Corey King

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 12:47:13 pm »
+2
Hi.
I feel that my biggest flaw when it comes to English Language is trying to revise my knowledge on Metalanguage. Do any current or past student have any tips on how I can get better at my knowledge of Metalanguage? Remembering things like Syntactic Features, Lexical Features, when to talk about Cohesion and Coherence, etc.

Hello ConFin,
A past recipient of a 50 study score in english language goes into this in length in this post: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=159160.0
Best of luck :)
Corey

brothanathan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
+1
Practising writing analytical commentaries really does force you to recall your mental metalanguage bank!

If there's some term you can't recall, don't panic. You can analyse a text with a glossary if that's more comfortable at the moment. Just make sure to write down the ones you struggled to use or remember off the top of your head. Have a book, sheet or document where you can record the ones you had trouble with.

This guide may help as an intro: https://atarnotes.com/analytical-commentary/

You can literally take nearly anything that's spoken or written to practice writing some.

Make sure you seek feedback if possible; if not look at examiner reports for past exams and see how VCAA critiques them.

VCAA does have a marking rubric uploaded to their site from March 2016:
Eng Lang Criteria

These links might help you see how the analysing process works:
Analytical Commentary of Language
Sample AC being unpacked

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 03:18:30 pm by brothanathan »