Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 04:18:14 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3608882 times)  Share 

TheAspiringDoc

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9195 on: June 03, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »
+1
Hi,
With questions related to the sequence of events in translation and transcription and that are around 3-4 marks, what kind of details does VCAA want us to include?
Thanks in advance :)
Process
1. Transcription
• RNA polymerase copies DNA template strand by joining
complementary nucleotides • pre-mRNA produced
• optional, depending on question: undergoes post-
transcriptional modifications – introns are removed, a poly-A tail and methyl cap are added to pre-mRNA to form mRNA
2. Translation
• mRNA travels to ribosomes
• tRNA brings a specific amino acid to the ribosome
• tRNA anticodon joins to complementary mRNA codon • an amino acid is added to the polypeptide chain

This is from the ATARNotes' VCAA approved bio definitions and processes document.

psychologie

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9196 on: June 03, 2017, 08:09:19 pm »
+1
why do allergic responses not produce a faster, larger response the second time they are exposed to the same allergen? (I'm assuming memory cells are produced as IgE antibodies are produced)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9197 on: June 03, 2017, 10:14:19 pm »
+1
why do allergic responses not produce a faster, larger response the second time they are exposed to the same allergen? (I'm assuming memory cells are produced as IgE antibodies are produced)

They do?

The first exposure actually doesn't produce any allergic response at all. The second exposure does.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #9198 on: June 04, 2017, 09:45:36 am »
+1
They do?

The first exposure actually doesn't produce any allergic response at all. The second exposure does.
Does the Rhesus factor thingo at birth count as an allergic response as parents aren't supposed to react to their babies?
If so, this occurs much more intensely upon having another baby, so if this were an allergy (pending confirmation) then this is a good example to answer the above question

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #9199 on: June 04, 2017, 11:08:58 am »
+1
Does the Rhesus factor thingo at birth count as an allergic response as parents aren't supposed to react to their babies?
If so, this occurs much more intensely upon having another baby, so if this were an allergy (pending confirmation) then this is a good example to answer the above question
Very interesting q!
However, I wouldn't think that would be the case. People who can't donate blood to other people are not said to be allergic to other people because they can't accept blood from them. They simply do not have the specific antigens in their own blood for the successful transfer to occur. True, allergic responses are by particles or substances that do not usually cause an immune response, such as nuts etc, but blood that cannot transfer from Person A to Person B is probably considered a normal thing.
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~

Atlantis

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #9200 on: June 04, 2017, 11:32:50 am »
+1
A question to do with adaptive immunity, specifically cell-mediated immunity. I'm a bit confused so apologies if this is a silly question.

Why is it that cytotoxic T cells do not kill APCs if APCs have the foreign antigen presented on their surface?
“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”
― Plutarch

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #9201 on: June 04, 2017, 11:38:08 am »
+5
Very interesting q!
However, I wouldn't think that would be the case. People who can't donate blood to other people are not said to be allergic to other people because they can't accept blood from them. They simply do not have the specific antigens in their own blood for the successful transfer to occur. True, allergic responses are by particles or substances that do not usually cause an immune response, such as nuts etc, but blood that cannot transfer from Person A to Person B is probably considered a normal thing.

This is a really pertinent question to VCE, because allergy is a subtle thing. Hydroxyl, you're quite right and your example is a good one. Although, it is worth saying that blood from the wrong host does generate an immune response (called a blood transfusion reaction). For instance, giving B blood to an A blood type person is extremely dangerous and will cause a potentially fatal immune response.

Allergy is not simply an immune response to something foreign. It's a specific type of immune response that involves IgE and the release of small molecule factors, such as histamine. So it is possible to react to potentially immunogenic substances in other ways that is not considered an allergy, for instance, blood transfusion reaction. Another example is coeliac disease, which is an immune response directed to a foreign substance (gluten) that some do consider an allergy, but in reality probably isn't because of the way the immune system reacts to it.

A question to do with adaptive immunity, specifically cell-mediated immunity. I'm a bit confused so apologies if this is a silly question.

Why is it that cytotoxic T cells do not kill APCs if APCs have the foreign antigen presented on their surface?

Good question.

APCs present their antigen in the context of MHC class II, whereas cytotoxic T-cells can only respond to antigen presented on MHC class I

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9202 on: June 04, 2017, 07:24:30 pm »
Hey  :)

Could someone please explain to me how B Cells are activated? And the role of T Helper Cells in activating the B Cells, I'm confused  :'(
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

LPadlan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Ballarat High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9203 on: June 04, 2017, 07:54:35 pm »
+4
Hey  :)

Could someone please explain to me how B Cells are activated? And the role of T Helper Cells in activating the B Cells, I'm confused  :'(
B-cells get activated when they bind to a specific antigen. It will then proliferate and differentiate into two different cells 1. Memory cells, basically the same as the parent cells(same antibody for the specific antigen) and plasma cells, these produce and secrete anti-bodies for the specific antigen.
T helper cells can only bind to antigens located on the MHC 2 protein in contrast to cytotoxic T cells. T helper cells activate B-cells by releasing cytokines to the B-cell that it is binded to. *Im sure these are correct, but if there is anything wrong, feel free to correct me*
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 08:01:34 pm by LPadlan »

Ahmad_A_1999

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9204 on: June 05, 2017, 08:27:14 pm »
B-cells get activated when they bind to a specific antigen. It will then proliferate and differentiate into two different cells 1. Memory cells, basically the same as the parent cells(same antibody for the specific antigen) and plasma cells, these produce and secrete anti-bodies for the specific antigen.
T helper cells can only bind to antigens located on the MHC 2 protein in contrast to cytotoxic T cells. T helper cells activate B-cells by releasing cytokines to the B-cell that it is binded to. *Im sure these are correct, but if there is anything wrong, feel free to correct me*

Thanks for that! I think I've got it.

But now I'm having trouble with the cell-mediated immunity, could you help me out please, when an antigen presenting cell travels in the lymphatic system to the lymph nodes, does it present it's antigen to a T Helper Cell which then divides to produce many clones of itself, or does it present it to a T Cell, which divides into T Helper, cytotoxic and Memory T cells.  :-\
2017:
Chem [41] Bio [44] Spesh / Methods / EngLang 
ATAR: 95.65
2018-2020: Bachelor of Biomedical Science @ Monash
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

Deshouka

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • お互いに頑張ろう!
« Reply #9205 on: June 05, 2017, 10:30:17 pm »
+1
Thanks for that! I think I've got it.

But now I'm having trouble with the cell-mediated immunity, could you help me out please, when an antigen presenting cell travels in the lymphatic system to the lymph nodes, does it present it's antigen to a T helper Cell which then divides to produce many clones of itself, or does it present it to a T Cell, which divides into T Helper, cytotoxic and Memory T cells.  :-\

APCs present antigens to naive T cells. In the context of MHC class II, they're called naive T helper cells, which  differentiate into helper T cells and memory T cells (also called memory CD4+ T cells). However, in the context of MHC class I, they're called naive cytotoxic T cells, and can perform its function when activated. They can also differentiate into memory T cells (memory CD8+ T cells).

Interesting observation. APCs possess both MHC I and MHC II molecules. Cytotoxic T cells can and do actually kill APCs (but not often). These CD8+ cells can target a virus infected dendritic cell (an APC)  as long as it expresses the viral peptide in  the context of MHC Class I.
Obviously it is much more complex than this and it'll be detrimental if lots of APCs are killed.

Corrected some errors
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:49:13 pm by Deshouka »
Willing to help out with anything Japanese! :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #9206 on: June 06, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »
+3
APCs present antigens to naive T cells. In the context of MHC class I, they're called naive T helper cells, which  differentiate into helper T cells and memory T cells (memory CD4+ T cells). However, in the context of MHC class II, they're called naive cytotoxic T cells, and can perform its function when activated. They can also differentiate into memory T cells (memory CD8+ T cells). Memory CD4+ T cells perform the same function as helper T cells, while memory CD8+ T cells perform the same function as cytotoxic T cells.

Interesting observation. APCs possess both MHC I and MHC II molecules. Cytotoxic T cells can and do actually kill APCs (but not often). These CD8+ cells can target a virus infected dendritic cell (an APC)  as long as it expresses the viral peptide in  the context of MHC Class I.
Obviously it is much more complex than this and it'll be detrimental if lots of APCs are killed.

A couple of itty bitty details

MHC class I activates cytotoxic T-cells, and MHC class II activates T-helper cells.
CD4+ and CD8+ are not terms used in VCE; however, they are more technical descriptions of T-helper cells and cytotoxic T-cells. Saying they perform the same function implies that they're different—they're just different names for the same thing :)

Apricot

• Adventurer
  • School: Somewhere in the South-East
  • School Grad Year: 2018
« Reply #9207 on: June 06, 2017, 11:14:22 pm »
+3
Could someone please clarify a few questions I have about adaptive immunity which I am having a bit of trouble figuring out.
1) In nature of biology, it discusses that T helper cells activate cytotoxic t cells by secreting cytokines but how does the T helper cell actually know which cytotoxic t cell to activate?
2) Can APC's present antigens to cytotoxic t cells as well or just helper t cells?
3) When t helper cell maturation occurs in the thymus, is this where they differentiate into either t helper cells or cytotoxic t cells or does the differentiation of the naive t cells into helper or cytotoxic cells occur in lymph nodes?
Apologies for the length of the questions.

LPadlan

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School: Ballarat High School
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #9208 on: June 07, 2017, 11:26:03 am »
+3

Could someone please clarify a few questions I have about adaptive immunity which I am having a bit of trouble figuring out.
1) In nature of biology, it discusses that T helper cells activate cytotoxic t cells by secreting cytokines but how does the T helper cell actually know which cytotoxic t cell to activate?
2) Can APC's present antigens to cytotoxic t cells as well or just helper t cells?
3) When t helper cell maturation occurs in the thymus, is this where they differentiate into either t helper cells or cytotoxic t cells or does the differentiation of the naive t cells into helper or cytotoxic cells occur in lymph nodes?
1. Cells involved in the specific immune response have very specific receptors for an antigen. Cytotoxic T cells that have binded to a MHC1 marker will be activated by a specific T helper cell.
 2.APCs can present to both. Antigens on MHC2 markers will be presented to T helper cells and antigens on MHC 1 markers will be presented to cytotoxic T cells.
3. I am unsure

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #9209 on: June 07, 2017, 08:14:14 pm »

3. Thymus, but totally irrelevant to VCE.