Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:43:04 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3614053 times)  Share 

BakedDwarf

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #6225 on: October 01, 2015, 06:22:31 pm »
Yes, macrophages are not the only Antigen Presenting Cells. You also have dendritic cells that present antigens on their MHC II markers. There are three APCs: B cells, Dendritic cells and macrophages. Only these three cells actually engulf foreign material and present antigenic fragments on their MHC II markers. xD
B cells also have MHC II. Works the same as a macrophage as far as I know

I know that dendritic cells and macrophages engulf pathogens, but do b-cells also engulf pathogens?

jyodesh.com

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • sine and cosine should 1v1
  • Respect: +2
  • School: MLMC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6226 on: October 01, 2015, 06:29:01 pm »
I know that dendritic cells and macrophages engulf pathogens, but do b-cells also engulf pathogens?

B-cells aren't phagocytic no, but once an antigen is bound to the B-cell receptor, it can internalise it and present it in the groove of MHCII
2012:Biology
2013: |Chemistry(50)|Physics|Mathematical Methods (CAS)|English Language|MUEP Chemistry(95 - dux)|
2014- BBiomedSc (Adv. Hon.) at Monash, chemistry electives esp. organic & medicinal chemistry, VCE chem tutor, ATAR notes VCE chemistry video content creator (in production)

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6227 on: October 01, 2015, 06:37:23 pm »
Is a second messenger synthesised in the signal transduction pathway of both lipid soluble and insoluble hormones?
Is a G-Protein just a surface membrane receptor?
Can MHC markers be present on pathogens?

Biology24123

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +1
  • School: Scopus
« Reply #6228 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:23 pm »
Yes, macrophages are not the only Antigen Presenting Cells. You also have dendritic cells that present antigens on their MHC II markers. There are three APCs: B cells, Dendritic cells and macrophages. Only these three cells actually engulf foreign material and present antigenic fragments on their MHC II markers. xD

Some epithelial cells are antigen presenting.

jyodesh.com

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • sine and cosine should 1v1
  • Respect: +2
  • School: MLMC
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6229 on: October 01, 2015, 06:59:23 pm »

From what I'm aware of this is only in the thymus for T-cell development
2012:Biology
2013: |Chemistry(50)|Physics|Mathematical Methods (CAS)|English Language|MUEP Chemistry(95 - dux)|
2014- BBiomedSc (Adv. Hon.) at Monash, chemistry electives esp. organic & medicinal chemistry, VCE chem tutor, ATAR notes VCE chemistry video content creator (in production)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6230 on: October 01, 2015, 07:10:44 pm »
+2
The details of which cells are APCs is relatively unimportant. There are actually quite a few, but the most important is the dendritic cell, with macrophages also playing a pretty vital role too.

Is a second messenger synthesised in the signal transduction pathway of both lipid soluble and insoluble hormones?
Is a G-Protein just a surface membrane receptor?
Can MHC markers be present on pathogens?

Depends on the individual pathway. Oftentimes, lipid soluble hormones will interact with a chaperone, which in turn takes it straight to its gene target (therefore no second messenger). This is well and truly out of the VCE course though.

No. G-proteins are cytosolic. They are activated by G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs). Again, well and truly outside of the course. Long story short though, G-proteins are second messengers in essence.

No.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

BakedDwarf

« Reply #6231 on: October 01, 2015, 08:01:14 pm »
What do we need to know about a eukaryotic cell's cytoskeleton??

Is knowing that the cytoskeleton is a network of protein fibres which provide structural support, anchorage, shape, motility and a capacity to move and arrange organelles within the cell sufficient? (i got this definition off a website, not sure if it's right though)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #6232 on: October 01, 2015, 08:53:40 pm »
What do we need to know about a eukaryotic cell's cytoskeleton??

Is knowing that the cytoskeleton is a network of protein fibres which provide structural support, anchorage, shape, motility and a capacity to move and arrange organelles within the cell sufficient? (i got this definition off a website, not sure if it's right though)

Yep, that's more than enough.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +273
« Reply #6233 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:07 pm »
B-cells aren't phagocytic no, but once an antigen is bound to the B-cell receptor, it can internalise it and present it in the groove of MHCII

B cells are phagocytic, not sure where you got this from??
2016-2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine
2015: VCE (ATAR: 94.85)

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6234 on: October 01, 2015, 08:57:47 pm »
How can viruses protect themselves from interferons?
I assume that their viral genome contains genes for the expression of defense proteins/enzymes from these interferons?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6235 on: October 01, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »

Out of study design this or?

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6236 on: October 01, 2015, 09:16:36 pm »
What term describes the process of copying a gene?
Why can't the answer to this be DNA replication? :(

What is a probe?
Are ALL probes DNA probes? Because DNA probe was not specified, I assumed a probe was any molecule that 'tags' or marks another molecule. What do you say?

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:20:18 pm by cosine »

paper-back

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "I must govern the clock, not be governed by it"
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #6237 on: October 01, 2015, 09:29:34 pm »
Depends on the individual pathway. Oftentimes, lipid soluble hormones will interact with a chaperone, which in turn takes it straight to its gene target (therefore no second messenger). This is well and truly out of the VCE course though.

In the scope of VCE do we state that a second messenger protein is synthesised?
A component of the answer to one of the questions on a VCAA exam stated that a "second messenger protein is synthesised"

mahler004

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #6238 on: October 01, 2015, 09:38:34 pm »
In the scope of VCE do we state that a second messenger protein is synthesised?
A component of the answer to one of the questions on a VCAA exam stated that a "second messenger protein is synthesised"

That's not true - the signal transduction pathway basically is:

Ligand binds to GCPR -> GCPR activates G protein -> A second messenger is produced.

(I've left out a few steps).

There are examples of second messenger proteins, but they aren't produced as a response to a signal (they are activated.)

(edit: forgot about a pathway).

But yeah. What T-Rav said. Signal transduction is really, really complicated. By necessity, it's simplified here.

What is a probe?
Are ALL probes DNA probes? Because DNA probe was not specified, I assumed a probe was any molecule that 'tags' or marks another molecule. What do you say?

A probe can mean a lot of things, but if the question is talking about DNA, it's probably fair to assume it's a DNA probe.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:45:26 pm by mahler004 »
BSc (Hons) 2015 Melbourne

PhD 2016-??? Melbourne

I want to be an architect.

cosine

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6239 on: October 01, 2015, 09:47:06 pm »
That's not true - the signal transduction pathway basically is:

Ligand binds to GCPR -> GCPR activates G protein -> A second messenger is produced.

(I've left out a few steps).

There are examples of second messenger proteins, but they aren't produced as a response to a signal (they are activated.)

(edit: forgot about a pathway).

A probe can mean a lot of things, but if the question is talking about DNA, it's probably fair to assume it's a DNA probe.

Attached is the question, indeed the next part talks about DNA, but honestly is this ambiguous or not because I really have a problem here because I always lose marks because of trying to be specific, like I knew exactly what a DNA probe is, single stranded DNA molecule that binds to the complementary DNA strand to mark it so it can be monitored, but I purposely did not write that because the question did not ask for the definition of DNA probe, but simply just probe. Honestly, what should I do to avoid stuff like this? Really disheartening knowing I am susceptible to easy marks like this :(