Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:17:25 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571406 times)  Share 

Reus

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +135
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #3045 on: September 26, 2014, 10:28:28 pm »
the one about 40 looks to be accurate (for last year's exam anyway), dunno about the rest but I'd assume it's accurate?

Note that cutoffs will (probably) be lower this year (ie. you can drop more marks) because this year will be harder than last year. Last year's paper was the first year of the new study design so I think it was like a trial run, meaning it was a bit easier and the cutoffs were higher.
The harder the exam, the better ;)
if a potato cell is put in water why does it swell and if put it in a sugar solution, it shrinks? I know it has to do with hypotonic/hypertonic but not sure how to properly explain it.
Well just think of the net movement of water; osmosis. If a potato cell is in a high concentrated sugar solution, the water in the potato moves outside with the intentions of equalising/balancing concentrations between both parties and hence the potato noticeably shrinks in size.
2015: Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Global Studies @ Monash University

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3046 on: September 26, 2014, 10:38:14 pm »
so water always moves out when the cell concentration is too high? Then moves in when cell is in low concentration which is why it swells?
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #3047 on: September 26, 2014, 10:59:52 pm »
A question of my own:

Which signal transduction pathway (steroid or peptide hormone) would have a faster response to the presence of the hormone?

I said it would be the steroid hormone pathway, as it can readily pass the cell membrane and directly attach to its specific receptor. Second messengers are not required, thus less reactions occur, leading to a faster response.

But the answers say otherwise; less time is needed for the peptide hormone to bind with the transmembrane receptor.

I always thought steroid hormones would produce the faster response...

Is this a TSSM question from 2014? I just did the same question! My response was in line with yours as well. If there are any VCAA questions testing the same concept then it would probably be best to use their solutions; although I can't seem to find any questions testing this concept..

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3048 on: September 26, 2014, 11:02:16 pm »
Is this a TSSM question from 2014? I just did the same question! My response was in line with yours as well. If there are any VCAA questions testing the same concept then it would probably be best to use their solutions; although I can't seem to find any questions testing this concept..

It was actually from engage education 3/4 exam
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3049 on: September 26, 2014, 11:04:20 pm »
Is this a good response for a 3-4 mark question asking for a summary of transcription? Sometimes I say too much or my answer differs from suggested.

- DNA is unwound by the helicase enzyme
- RNA is transcribed from a template strand of DNA.
- RNA polymerase goes along DNA in a 3' to 5' direction reading bases and creating a complementary strand.
2014 ATAR - 88

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #3050 on: September 26, 2014, 11:04:48 pm »
+1

so water always moves out when the cell concentration is too high? Then moves in when cell is in low concentration which is why it swells?
Osmosis; free water molecules will move from a region of low solute concentration to a region of high solute concentration, across a semi permeable membrane.
If a cell is placed in a solution that is hypertonic to its internal environment, then water will move out of the cell, causing it shrivel. If placed in a solution hypotonic to its internal environment, then water will diffuse into the cell by osmosis. This may cause the cell to lyse.

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3051 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:06 pm »
It was actually from engage education 3/4 exam

Oh. Well this was the solution for the tssm question:

Responses to protein hormones occur faster than those to steroid hormones.

When a protein signalling molecule binds to a cell the result is the activation of proteins that are already present inside the cell. Although steroid hormones enter target cells rapidly, the hormone/receptor complex has to move to the nucleus, bind to DNA and trigger protein synthesis. As the proteins have to be produced, the response will be comparatively slow.

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3052 on: September 26, 2014, 11:10:51 pm »
Is this a good response for a 3-4 mark question asking for a summary of transcription? Sometimes I say too much or my answer differs from suggested.

- RNA polymerase goes along DNA in a 3' to 5' direction reading bases and creating a complementary strand.

Good description, probably just chuck in the words 'using free nucleotides' and 'to produce pre-messenger RNA'.

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3053 on: September 26, 2014, 11:20:42 pm »
if a question asks for which proportion of the offspring have a certain trait are they asking for the ratio or a fraction?
2014 ATAR - 88

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3054 on: September 26, 2014, 11:24:11 pm »
Are antigens always referred to as foreign substances; don't all cells have antigens even self cells?

simpak

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +376
« Reply #3055 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:06 pm »
+1
No, antigen means anything that generates an adaptive immune response.
Antigens are not always foreign but the ones your body actually mounts a full fledged immune response to are usually foreign.
2009 ENTER: 99.05
2014: BSci Hons (Microbiology/Immunology) at UoM
2015+: PhD (Immunology) at UoM

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #3056 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:36 am »
+1
Are antigens always referred to as foreign substances; don't all cells have antigens even self cells?

antibody generating
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #3057 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:56 am »
Who's coming to SWOT by the way? :)

dankfrank420

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #3058 on: September 27, 2014, 12:44:03 am »

I thought it was always in the 5' to 3' direction?

Also, you may want to mention intron splicing and addition of methyl cap at 5' end and polyatail at 3' end. Basically converting pre mRNA to mRNA

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #3059 on: September 27, 2014, 12:45:25 am »
I thought it was always in the 5' to 3' direction?

Also, you may want to mention intron splicing and addition of methyl cap at 5' end and polyatail at 3' end. Basically converting pre mRNA to mRNA

The new strand is made 5' to 3', the reading is 3' to 5'