Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:43:04 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3613011 times)  Share 

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1590 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:04 pm »
where are neurotransmitters produced? Also, when they bond to the post synaptic.. knob? vessel? (i forgot what its called), does it form an ion channel such that it can pass through via (endocytosis? or diffusion?) to the begging of the next neurone? sorry im a bit muddled.
They can either be synthesised at the pre-synaptic terminal or the cell body (soma) of a neurone, and are packaged into secretory vesicles. Once they are released into the synaptic cleft via exocytosis (from synaptic knob/terminal), they diffuse across the cleft and bind with receptors on the post-synaptic membrane. This activates sodium ion channels, allowing a rapid influx of sodium ions to enter the cell and thus initiate depolarisation.

soNasty

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +11
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #1591 on: April 28, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »
Perfect, thanks so much!

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +40
  • School: The University of Melbourne
« Reply #1592 on: April 29, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »
Explain what happens in signal transduction
Thanks ;D
2014: VCE completed
2015-2017: BSc at Melb Uni

DREAM, BELIEVE, ACHIEVE!!!

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1593 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:57 pm »
1) What exactly are the refractory (absolute and relative) periods?
2) Does the hyperpolarisation stage of an action potential conclude with the closing of the potassium channels? If so, what's the name of the stage that occurs after hyperpolarisation, when the neuron's charge returns back to resting potential?
3) Do inhibitory postsynaptic potentials reduce the likelihood of an action potential occuring by lowering the threshold? Is this achieved by opening channels that allow the diffusion of an ion that will further decrease intracellular charge? If so, what ion diffuses into the cell?

I'm asking these questions because I'm curious and prefer to have a strong understanding.
Bachelor of Science (Immunology major) - The University of Melbourne

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1594 on: April 29, 2014, 05:57:29 pm »
Also, my TSFX notes tell me that interneurons are not myelinated. However, oligodendrocytes are the cells which produce myelin in the CNS...so which cells will be myelinated in the CNS?

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #1595 on: April 29, 2014, 06:08:00 pm »
2) Does the hyperpolarisation stage of an action potential conclude with the closing of the potassium channels? If so, what's the name of the stage that occurs after hyperpolarisation, when the neuron's charge returns back to resting potential?
3) Do inhibitory postsynaptic potentials reduce the likelihood of an action potential occuring by lowering the threshold? Is this achieved by opening channels that allow the diffusion of an ion that will further decrease intracellular charge? If so, what ion diffuses into the cell?

I'm asking these questions because I'm curious and prefer to have a strong understanding.

Try yourself first and i'll correct it. I think its a much more beneficial way of learning than being spoonfed. As for TSFX notes, they're kind of notorious for being rubbish in the regard they include a lot you do not need to know to make it seem like its worth it, careful with those (or at least they were when i did biology).

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

katiesaliba

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1596 on: April 29, 2014, 06:27:03 pm »
Try yourself first and i'll correct it. I think its a much more beneficial way of learning than being spoonfed. As for TSFX notes, they're kind of notorious for being rubbish in the regard they include a lot you do not need to know to make it seem like its worth it, careful with those (or at least they were when i did biology).

Okay!
I know that the absolute refractory period involves depolarisation and repolarisation. Therefore, I presume that during this stage new action potentials cannot occur because of the depolarisation, and thus, the state of the channels (inactivated/activated). The relative refractory period, due to hyperpolarisation, increases the threshold potential needed to instigate an action potential. As a consequence, only stimuli with larger-than-normal potentials can activate action potentials during relative refraction. This that correct?
I think that hyperpolarisation ends with the closing of the potassium channels, and then, during a phase known as afterhyperpolarisation, the membrane potential returns back to its resting state. 
I'm pretty sure that inhibitory postsynaptic potentials reduce the likelihood of action potentials from occuring by lowering the threshold. An ion channel, possibly for K+, would open as a result of the inhibitory potential, and reduce the threshold potential by decreasing the intracellular charge.

So, does that mean that interneurons can be myelinated?

Thank you :)

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1597 on: April 29, 2014, 06:41:09 pm »
Explain what happens in signal transduction
Thanks ;D
Signal transduction is the conversion of an external stimulus into one or more internal events through the binding of a hormone/signalling molecule to a specific receptor which triggers a cascade of events in the target cell (like activation of G-proteins and second messenger molecules that amplify the signal) which results in an amplified cellular response.
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1598 on: April 29, 2014, 07:12:34 pm »
Signal transduction is the conversion of an external stimulus into one or more internal events through the binding of a hormone/signalling molecule to a specific receptor which triggers a cascade of events in the target cell (like activation of G-proteins and second messenger molecules that amplify the signal) which results in an amplified cellular response.

Thanks. But do I really need to remember it in that much detail. Pls say no :P

swagsxcboi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1599 on: April 29, 2014, 07:14:15 pm »
+1
Thanks. But do I really need to remember it in that much detail. Pls say no :P

yes you do  :P
2013: Biology [47]

2014 AIMS: English (37)    Methods (37)    Business Management (30)    Chemistry (40)

2015 AIMS:
Applied Science/Physiotherapy Practice at La Trobe

Feel free to PM me about Bio or anything :)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1600 on: April 29, 2014, 07:40:05 pm »

yes you do  :P

noooo...soo much to remember :(

thushan

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +626
« Reply #1601 on: April 29, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »
+2

Nah, break it down:

Signal transduction - "trans" means to "alter/change" right? So -

- Signal transduction is the conversion of an external stimulus into one or more internal events (in the cell).

Just described what signal transduction is. But how is it done?

- through the binding of a hormone/signalling molecule to a specific receptor which triggers a cascade of events in the target cell

and what does this cascade lead to?

- which results in an amplified cellular response.

There you go, piece of cake. :D
Managing Director  and Senior Content Developer - Decode Publishing (2020+)
http://www.decodeguides.com.au

Basic Physician Trainee - Monash Health (2019-)
Medical Intern - Alfred Hospital (2018)
MBBS (Hons.) - Monash Uni
BMedSci (Hons.) - Monash Uni

Former ATARNotes Lecturer for Chemistry, Biology

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1602 on: April 29, 2014, 08:34:32 pm »
+5

It's not so bad! Lets see if I can whip up an analogy.

In Ancient Greece, there obviously weren't any telephones or social media etc. to keep people in contact via communication. However, because the Greeks were often in conflict with some empire or another, e.g. the Persian empire, they needed a way of getting messages from one place to multiple other places by land. In order to do this, there would be a network of messengers who would run to a point and deliver the message to a group of other messages, who would carry the original message to their intended target. The messenger who was given the initial message wouldn't continue on after he'd passed the message to the other messengers. Once the message has been passed on the recipients, the Greeks would be able to carry out some action as dictated by the message.

This is, in essence, what signal transduction is all about. We have an initial messenger that carries a signal to a cell, where it is received and passed on to a secondary messenger, which can then take the "message" (or signal) to target areas of the cell interior. From there, a cellular response to the initial stimulus can be performed. Note that the initial messenger never enters the cell. The rest is just filling in the required biological terminology!
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1603 on: April 29, 2014, 08:46:20 pm »
It's not so bad! Lets see if I can whip up an analogy.

In Ancient Greece, there obviously weren't any telephones or social media etc. to keep people in contact via communication. However, because the Greeks were often in conflict with some empire or another, e.g. the Persian empire, they needed a way of getting messages from one place to multiple other places by land. In order to do this, there would be a network of messengers who would run to a point and deliver the message to a group of other messages, who would carry the original message to their intended target. The messenger who was given the initial message wouldn't continue on after he'd passed the message to the other messengers. Once the message has been passed on the recipients, the Greeks would be able to carry out some action as dictated by the message.

This is, in essence, what signal transduction is all about. We have an initial messenger that carries a signal to a cell, where it is received and passed on to a secondary messenger, which can then take the "message" (or signal) to target areas of the cell interior. From there, a cellular response to the initial stimulus can be performed. Note that the initial messenger never enters the cell. The rest is just filling in the required biological terminology!

You are a legend!!!! Thank you for taking time to write this up for me.
Thanks heaps :)

Rishi97

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #1604 on: April 29, 2014, 08:56:48 pm »
Explain why a second messenger is needed to convey a signal inside a cell from a water soluble first messenger.