Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:40 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3571332 times)  Share 

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1425 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:24 pm »
Thank you! Though I think you meant that the xylem carries them upwards :P

Yeah, LOL, sorry! My freaking autocorrect!

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1426 on: April 15, 2014, 05:00:40 pm »
Are there any differences between signal transduction and signal cascades???
I think signal cascades specifically refers to the cascade of events that is generated within the cell after signal transduction has been initiated (by the binding of a signalling molecule to its receptor)
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1427 on: April 15, 2014, 08:24:57 pm »

When the plasma membrane of a neuron is said to be in its 'repolarised' state, is this referring to when the charge difference between the inside and outside of the plasma membrane of the neuron has been restored (negative on the inside of the plasma membrane, relative to the outside of the plasma membrane) however the location of the sodium and potassium ions are reversed from the resting potential (the K+ ions are on the outside and the Na+ ions are on the inside)

and then when the plasma membrane is in its 'polarised' state the inside of the plasma membrane is still negative, relative to the outside of the plasma membrane however the K+ ions are on the inside and the Na+ ions are on the outside due to the action of the sodium-potassium pumps?

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1428 on: April 15, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
When defining polarised and depolarised in terms of neurons would it be correct to say:

1.) Polarised: When there is an electric potential difference across an unstimulated nerve cell's plasma membrane, in which the inside of the plasma membrane is negative, relative to the outside.

2.) Depolarised: When there is an electric potential difference across a stimulated nerve cell's plasma membrane, in which the inside of the plasma membrane is positive relative to the outside.

nerdmmb

« Reply #1429 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:00 pm »
The NOB book has a lot of info about glaucoma. Can somebody please tell me if we need to know about this and the nerves in the eye?

Thanks

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #1430 on: April 16, 2014, 02:47:59 am »
Do we have to know about the roles of the different types of growth-regulators in plants (eg. Ethylene promotes fruit ripening, and stress responses) ?

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #1431 on: April 16, 2014, 08:07:04 am »
+1
The NOB book has a lot of info about glaucoma. Can somebody please tell me if we need to know about this and the nerves in the eye?

Thanks

I'm 99.9% sure we don't need to know any of that (or that sort of stuff). Nevertheless, I'm sure it'd be an interesting read though (:

Do we have to know about the roles of the different types of growth-regulators in plants (eg. Ethylene promotes fruit ripening, and stress responses) ?

Yes, but not in too much detail.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:08:42 am by alchemy »

Yacoubb

« Reply #1432 on: April 16, 2014, 10:59:55 am »
+1

Know the 5 different plant hormones, and what effect these hormones have on plant growth. For instance, gibberellins, cytokinins and auxins are plant-growth hormones, whilst abscisic acid and ethylene and plant-growth inhibitors. You also need to know a little bit about tropisms (the growth response of a plant to a stimulus). There wasn't much on this on our VCAA exam (2013), in fact, I don't remember there being any question about it.

nerdmmb

« Reply #1433 on: April 16, 2014, 03:01:45 pm »
Are we required to know about the different types of venoms and their effect on the body? Or would it be enough to know about what venoms are and their general effect?

Thanks!

howlingwisdom

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #1434 on: April 16, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
+2
Are we required to know about the different types of venoms and their effect on the body? Or would it be enough to know about what venoms are and their general effect?

Thanks!
No, we don't need to know about the different types of venoms etc, but I think it would be suffice to know how they affect nerve function (mainly inhibits them) :)
VCE: 2014-2015 (English Language, Maths Methods, Biology, Chemistry, French, Latin)

2016: BMedSt + MD at Bond University (2020)

katie101

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Katie
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #1435 on: April 16, 2014, 05:30:56 pm »
Where is a connecting neuron found?

nerdmmb

« Reply #1436 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:32 pm »
Where is a connecting neuron found?

In the Central Nervous System (CNS)

Burt Macklin

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #1437 on: April 16, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »
I'm unsure of the first point in the study design:
  • "synthesis of biomacromolecules through the condensation reaction"
What's the condensation reaction?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #1438 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:43 pm »
I'm unsure of the first point in the study design:
  • "synthesis of biomacromolecules through the condensation reaction"
What's the condensation reaction?

Polymerisation reactions produce water as a biproduct. That's condensation. An organic reaction that produces water.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

gohfish

« Reply #1439 on: April 16, 2014, 07:12:36 pm »
The condensation reaction refers to two molecules combining together to form one, with the release of a water molecule.

In relation to biomacromolecules, monomers (amino acids, monosaccharides, nucleotides) will undergo condensation reactions to form polymers. E.g. two amino acids will join by condensation reaction, releasing a water molecule in the process