Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:45 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570502 times)  Share 

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #765 on: February 22, 2014, 03:42:53 pm »
Does anyone know what is the order of the organelles, in terms of heaviest to lightest?  :)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #766 on: February 22, 2014, 03:45:49 pm »
Why do scientists study the proteome of an organism, instead of single proteins?

Thanks!

Most proteins do not act in isolation, most of them interact with other proteins. So by studying the proteome, scientists are able to discover more information about them, compared to a single protein.

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #767 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:20 pm »
Thankyou!!  :)

kx4y

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #768 on: February 22, 2014, 05:33:35 pm »
What substances are found in the cell membrane?

nerdmmb

« Reply #769 on: February 22, 2014, 05:43:59 pm »
What substances are found in the cell membrane?

Protein carriers, protein channels and cholesterol.
The membrane itself is primarily composed of phospholipids and carbohydrate chains (glycolipids and glycoproteins) are attached to some protein channels and phospholipids on the surface of the membrane.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #770 on: February 22, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »
Are the terms, isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic strictly limited to talking about Osmosis?

Or can you use it when talking about diffusion as well:

Eg. - There is a net movement of particles from a hypertonic solution ( relatively high solute concentration) to a hypotonic solution (relatively low solute concentration)

There's been a bit of debate about this one. So hopefully I can clear it up with a "right" answer.

You can't just say a net movement of particles, because we don't know whether these particles are water or whether they are a solute. Hypertonic and hypotonic merely describe the nature of the solution. The nature of the movement also needs to be described.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #771 on: February 22, 2014, 06:12:48 pm »
There's been a bit of debate about this one. So hopefully I can clear it up with a "right" answer.

You can't just say a net movement of particles, because we don't know whether these particles are water or whether they are a solute. Hypertonic and hypotonic merely describe the nature of the solution. The nature of the movement also needs to be described.

Oh okay thanks!

I think I'll just leave those terms for osmosis then  :P
So that things dont get too confusing

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #772 on: February 22, 2014, 06:29:28 pm »
Oh okay thanks!

I think I'll just leave those terms for osmosis then  :P
So that things dont get too confusing

Probably the best way to go about it I'd say. You need to really specify what particles are doing the moving though, particularly if you're talking about osmosis. In diffusion, you can get away with a bit more, it's obvious that you're not talking about water particles. But anyway, I'm confused, so you're right hahaha just stick with what you know

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #773 on: February 22, 2014, 08:22:21 pm »
In the upcoming biology SAC, where we have to do a practical-report write up it says we have to include the controls and variables of the experiment,

Where would I include this part?

Should it go in the limitations, about how the errors were minimised due to the use of a control and a variable, so that the results were able to be clearly analysed?

Sorry I have never talked about controls and variables in a practical report before!

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #774 on: February 22, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »
Probably the best way to go about it I'd say. You need to really specify what particles are doing the moving though, particularly if you're talking about osmosis. In diffusion, you can get away with a bit more, it's obvious that you're not talking about water particles. But anyway, I'm confused, so you're right hahaha just stick with what you know

Yeah! goodpoint! I was kind of careless about that!
LOLL

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #775 on: February 22, 2014, 08:33:46 pm »
In the upcoming biology SAC, where we have to do a practical-report write up it says we have to include the controls and variables of the experiment,

Where would I include this part?

Should it go in the limitations, about how the errors were minimised due to the use of a control and a variable, so that the results were able to be clearly analysed?

Sorry I have never talked about controls and variables in a practical report before!

Discussion

millie96

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #776 on: February 22, 2014, 08:53:13 pm »
what is the use of turgor pressure in plant cells?

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #777 on: February 22, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »
To give the plant rigidity. Just wondering I know how on the study design It says we only need to know inputs and outputs if cellular respiration and photosynthesis (does that simply meaning only knowing the molecules going into photosynthesis/ cellular respiration and coming out?) cause there seems to be question about briefly describe process of light dependent stage/ light- independent stage??? But we only need to know inputs/ outputs. Confused?? Help please

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #778 on: February 22, 2014, 09:01:58 pm »
To give the plant rigidity. Just wondering I know how on the study design It says we only need to know inputs and outputs if cellular respiration and photosynthesis (does that simply meaning only knowing the molecules going into photosynthesis/ cellular respiration and coming out?) cause there seems to be question about briefly describe process of light dependent stage/ light- independent stage??? But we only need to know inputs/ outputs. Confused?? Help please

I do remember this question. IT was a mean one.

You ought to know the inputs and outputs of each stage and where those stages occur. That will be sufficient to answer those questions. Without a really good knowledge of chem (well beyond VCE), you're not really going to get anything more useful out of photosynthesis.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #779 on: February 22, 2014, 09:08:18 pm »
I do remember this question. IT was a mean one.

You ought to know the inputs and outputs of each stage and where those stages occur. That will be sufficient to answer those questions. Without a really good knowledge of chem (well beyond VCE), you're not really going to get anything more useful out of photosynthesis.

Would Acetyl-CoA be an input in respiration or intermediate? Is this required knowledge? Thanks!