Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:57:29 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570668 times)  Share 

Yacoubb

Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #405 on: February 02, 2014, 10:05:43 am »
+1
For the various plant hormones eg auxin. Are we only meant to know a basic one sentence function of what it does??

Yeah learn what the function of the plant hormone is. Questions on the exam will provide you with information of whether they are water/lipid-soluble, so you don't have to learn it in too much detail. The five plant hormones you need to know are:
• Auxins
• Gibberellins
• Cytokinins
• Ethylene
• Abscisic Acid

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #406 on: February 02, 2014, 10:26:04 am »
alright, sure thanks. And one other thing looking at the TSFX Summer lecture notes they seem to have quite a few pages on plant hormones. Some of the ones i question we need to know are as follows- labeling the plant leaf, the opening and closing of stomata- talks about K+ ions moving across guard cells depending if day or night time, apical dominance, photoperiodism, seed dormancy, human uses of plant hormones. Are we required to know all of this stuff too. And also are we required to know about the various signalling and pheromones in animals eg visual signalling, sexual pheromones. thank you so much. - cause textbooks seem to make it brief, but TSFX goes on about 10 pages talking about it. Thanks again.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
« Reply #407 on: February 02, 2014, 11:02:57 am »
+2
* Labelling the plant leaf - it's a good idea to know its basic structure but it'd be unlikely that you'd have to label it during an assessment
* The opening and closing of stomata - not required
* Apical dominance - required
* Photoperiodism - required
* Seed dormancy - required
* Human uses of plant hormones - briefly required (mainly agricultural applications)
* Visual signalling - not required
* Sexual pheromones - required

However, you don't need to go into that much detail for all of this.
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Chang Feng

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #408 on: February 02, 2014, 11:24:34 am »
Okay thank you so much. So I just really need to like a 1 sentence of what are these things, and a 1 sentence of what they do/ purpose.

nerdmmb

« Reply #409 on: February 02, 2014, 04:11:34 pm »
According to my textbook, cell death and cell reproduction are balanced. Does this mean that cell's degenerate at the same rate as they reproduce?

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #410 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:37 pm »
With regards to the Calvin cycle, do we need to know the comparison between C3 and C4 plants? What about PGAL?

NoB is such a comprehensive text is it not?

Yacoubb

« Reply #411 on: February 02, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
+1
With regards to the Calvin cycle, do we need to know the comparison between C3 and C4 plants? What about PGAL?

NoB is such a comprehensive text is it not?

You don't need to know the comparison between C3 and C4 Plants. You don't need to know about PGAL either. All you need to know (and you probably don't even need to know this), is that the Calvin Cycle takes place so that carbon can be reduced from its highly oxidised state as carbon dioxide, and the carbon skeleton then reacts with H+ ions (and oxygen), to synthesise glucose.

You really only need to know the inputs/outputs of the light-independent stage, and acknowledge that the Calvin Cycle takes place.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #412 on: February 02, 2014, 06:07:08 pm »
+1
According to my textbook, cell death and cell reproduction are balanced. Does this mean that cell's degenerate at the same rate as they reproduce?

In a healthy organism, yes.

grannysmith

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Crisp and juicy.
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #413 on: February 02, 2014, 06:17:46 pm »
Do we need to know anything on Chapter 4 of NoB? Most of it seems irrelevant.

I'll stop asking questions now :p

nerdmmb

« Reply #414 on: February 02, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »
Do we need to know anything on Chapter 4 of NoB? Most of it seems irrelevant.

I'll stop asking questions now :p

If I'm not mistaken, Yacoubb had mentioned that the only thing you need to know from Ch4 is rational drug design.

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #415 on: February 02, 2014, 06:19:36 pm »
+2
I think the textbook puts enzyme inhibition in that chapter lol. You need to know that.

Rational drug design is no longer part of the course.

soli

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #416 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:01 pm »
can someone please give me a more detailed explanation as to why membranes are permeable to lipid-soluble molecules, but impermeable to water-soluble molecules?

nerdmmb

« Reply #417 on: February 02, 2014, 06:26:54 pm »
+1
can someone please give me a more detailed explanation as to why membranes are permeable to lipid-soluble molecules, but impermeable to water-soluble molecules?

Membranes are composed of phospholipids which contain a glycerol attached to a phosphate head and two fatty acid tails. These fatty acid tails are hydrophobic non polar molecules that repel water as water is polar. Lipophilic substances can easily diffuse through the membrane however ions and polar substances require protein channels that are embedded in the membrane.

Yacoubb

« Reply #418 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »
+1
If I'm not mistaken, Yacoubb had mentioned that the only thing you need to know from Ch4 is rational drug design.

I said you didn't need to know anything from chapter 4 :)

The plasma membrane is made up primarily of a phospholipid bi-layer. The fatty acid tails are hydrophobic. Because of the like-nature of the bi-layer and the lipid-soluble molecules, the molecules are able to rapidly dissolve across the plasma membrane without the need of protein trans-membrane receptors. Because of the hydrophilic nature of water-soluble molecules, they are repelled by the membrane, and so cannot dissolve readily across the cell membrane, and need receptor proteins and secondary-messenger molecules to relay the message during signal transduction.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #419 on: February 02, 2014, 06:39:50 pm »
The plasma membrane is made up primarily of a phospholipid bi-layer. The fatty acid tails are hydrophobic. Because of the like-nature of the bi-layer and the lipid-soluble molecules, the molecules are able to rapidly dissolve across the plasma membrane without the need of protein trans-membrane receptors. Because of the hydrophilic nature of water-soluble molecules, they are repelled by the membrane, and so cannot dissolve readily across the cell membrane, and need receptor proteins and secondary-messenger molecules to relay the message during signal transduction.

Just a quick [burning] question- Why aren't lipid molecules repelled by the hydrophilic phosphate head? How are they able to overcome this and readily diffuse through the bi-layer?? I'm guessing this has something to do with the uneven proportion of phosphate vs. fatty-tails :\ ??
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 06:41:56 pm by MM1 »