Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:59:19 am

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3570983 times)  Share 

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2014, 11:02:03 pm »
+1
Would I need to know this for the purpose of VCE Biology?

Not at all :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2014, 11:05:52 pm »
Hi,

Can transport membrane proteins (carrier and channel proteins) be embedded within the membranes of organelles as well? Not just in the plasma membrane?

Thanks  :)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:11 pm »
+1
Hi,

Can transport membrane proteins (carrier and channel proteins) be embedded within the membranes of organelles as well? Not just in the plasma membrane?

They absolutely can. Mitochondria and chloroplasts both have them. Don't think any others do though I'm happy to be corrected.

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:29 pm »
+1
I'm going to be a real pedant here!

It's not "weak interparticle bonds" and H bonds aren't the only ones. In essence, you're correct and without Chem you'd probably never have known. And because you're doing Chem, so for your benefit here, hydrogen bonds are by no means "weak" intermolecular interactions. They're the strong intermolecular ones. They're just weaker than covalent bonds.

The bonds that are broken up denaturation are:

Hydrogen bonds, dipole-dipole interactions, ionic bonds and Van der Waal's forces.
Depends on what the adjective is referring to; h-bonds are still weak bonds. "Weak intermolecular" bonds vs. "weak" intermolecular bonds :P
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2014, 11:16:03 pm »
+1
They absolutely can. Mitochondria and chloroplasts both have them. Don't think any others do though I'm happy to be corrected.

thankyou :) !

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:01 pm »
+1
Depends on what the adjective is referring to; h-bonds are still weak bonds. "Weak intermolecular" bonds vs. "weak" intermolecular bonds :P

I see your point.

If I wanted to be a real arse, if he were saying "weak and intermolecular bonds", there should be a comma "weak, intermolecular bonds". If not, intermolecular bonds could be described as a noun in and of itself. But I don't want to be a complete arse, because you and yacoubb are fantastic, so I see your point. The clarification was just worthwhile to address any confusion and it may not have been wrong :)

psyxwar

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2014, 11:26:50 pm »
+1
I see your point.

If I wanted to be a real arse, if he were saying "weak and intermolecular bonds", there should be a comma "weak, intermolecular bonds". If not, intermolecular bonds could be described as a noun in and of itself. But I don't want to be a complete arse, because you and yacoubb are fantastic, so I see your point. The clarification was just worthwhile to address any confusion and it may not have been wrong :)
#englang
VCE 2013-2014
MD/BMedSci 2015-2020

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2014, 11:33:16 pm »
+2
#englang

I almost busted out some (because I knew you were pretty good at it!) but then thought "shit, I've got nothing to bust out anymore...".

But moral of the story everyone (and so I don't get in trouble for not staying on topic).
Intermolecular bonds are weak in the scheme of things. H-bonds are not a type of weak intermolecular bond, they're a strong intermolecular bond...so they're a strong, weak bond (Y) #mindfuck

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2014, 11:49:30 pm »
+1
I almost busted out some (because I knew you were pretty good at it!) but then thought "shit, I've got nothing to bust out anymore...".

But moral of the story everyone (and so I don't get in trouble for not staying on topic).
Intermolecular bonds are weak in the scheme of things. H-bonds are not a type of weak intermolecular bond, they're a strong intermolecular bond...so they're a strong, weak bond (Y) #mindfuck

Biology teachers state that they're weak, whilst Chem teachers state that they're strong. We can never win :P

RazzMeTazz

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2014, 11:51:07 pm »
+1
When talking about endocytosis and exocytosis, what are the names of the vesicles formed?

I seem to remember the term endocytotic vesicle and exocytotic vesicle from my unit 1&2 textbook, however the 3&4 book says " endocytic vesicle".

Which one is the correct term? Or are there multiple?

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »
+1
Biology teachers state that they're weak, whilst Chem teachers state that they're strong. We can never win :P

haha we really can't my friend!

When talking about endocytosis and exocytosis, what are the names of the vesicles formed?

I seem to remember the term endocytotic vesicle and exocytotic vesicle from my unit 1&2 textbook, however the 3&4 book says " endocytic vesicle".

Which one is the correct term? Or are there multiple?

If they go out, exocytotic vesicle, if they're coming in, endocytotic. That seems reasonable to me, but I wouldn't split hairs over it. "Vesicle" is fine by itself.

Yacoubb

« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »
+4

Well I think it depends upon the context. When you say that hydrogen bonds are weak, the inference is that they are weak relative to intramolecular forces (i.e. Compared to covalent bonds, for instance).

In chemistry, inter particle forces include dispersion forces, dipole-dipole forces and hydrogen bonding. Out of all the intermolecular forces, hydrogen bonds are the strongest; that is, they are the stronger of the weak.

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2014, 11:59:19 pm »
+1
Well I think it depends upon the context. When you say that hydrogen bonds are weak, the inference is that they are weak relative to intramolecular forces (i.e. Compared to covalent bonds, for instance).

In chemistry, inter particle forces include dispersion forces, dipole-dipole forces and hydrogen bonding. Out of all the intermolecular forces, hydrogen bonds are the strongest; that is, they are the stronger of the weak.

Totally makes sense now! As always, thanks for the great explanation :)

MM1

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2014, 05:41:19 pm »
So for the new study design, a lot of information has been removed when it comes to AO2 - Detecting & Responding. What are some of the topics that have been removed that don't need focusing on? Can someone please give me a rundown on it? Would be much appreciated and beneficial for everyone. Cheers.

Yacoubb

« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:29 pm »
+2
So for the new study design, a lot of information has been removed when it comes to AO2 - Detecting & Responding. What are some of the topics that have been removed that don't need focusing on? Can someone please give me a rundown on it? Would be much appreciated and beneficial for everyone. Cheers.

Endocrine system:
All you need to know:
- Different types of hormones (peptide/protein, lipid-based and amino acid derivative).
- Signal transduction
- Signal transduction and the action of hormones at the cellular level (e.g. Instead of looking at insulin acting as a hormone to reduce blood glucose levels, you'd look at insulin as acting on specific target cells, and the response it initiates being an increase in the permeability of the cell membrane to glucose, to increase absorbption of glucose from the blood, and in the long run, lower blood sugar levels during hyperglycaemia).

Nervous System:
All that has been taken out is the generation of action potentials.