Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:38 pm

Author Topic: Indo SL - General Conv. sample questions  (Read 10560 times)  Share 

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • sudo make me a sandwich
  • Respect: +1
Indo SL - General Conv. sample questions
« on: January 09, 2010, 03:14:04 am »
Hi all,

Attached is a PDF I have compiled of possible questions you may encounter in the general convo section of the Indo SL oral exam. As I explain inside, there are probably too many questions for a student to prepare and memorise in-depth answers to every q, but at the very least, this should give you some clues as to what kinds of questions are common, and the level and type of vocab that will be employed. I strongly advise any Indo SL students out there to make use of this checklist and start preparing your oral responses early - don't leave it 'till the dying days of yr 12 like I did!

If anyone needs any help preparing appropriate/correct answers to these questions, please PM me for assistance. Will post up some examples of correct formats for Indo essays.... at some point haha.

Selamat berjaya,

jejak

DISCLAIMER: Not a native speaker, OK! Take it all with a sprinkling of salt.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 03:21:57 am by jejak »
2008: Biology |
2009: Literature | Indonesian SL | Chinese SL | Methods | Chemistry |
ENTER: 99.65

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
  • Respect: +20
Re: Indo SL - General Conv. sample questions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »
stickied~ =]

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 12:04:58 am »
Thanks SmRandmAzn - I was wondering if it would get stickied, seeing as there's no moderator for Indo specifically and no-one seems to come in here!

I should be uploading some more Indo stuff in the next couple of days. Would it be prudent to notify anyone then, so that it can get stickied?

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:25:12 am »
I'll notice it dw =]

jejak

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 12:29:17 am »
LOL OK thank you. Btw, glad to hear I'm not the only one who is using/has used an SRS system for LOTE! I use Mnemosyne http://tinyurl.com/5btp4g myself, although I understand that it has fewer features than Anki. I dunno if you ever used Supermemo, but that one's GUI was shite.

LOL and I thought I was so special!

IntoTheNewWorld

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Hello World
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:10:39 am »
LOL OK thank you. Btw, glad to hear I'm not the only one who is using/has used an SRS system for LOTE! I use Mnemosyne http://tinyurl.com/5btp4g myself, although I understand that it has fewer features than Anki. I dunno if you ever used Supermemo, but that one's GUI was shite.

LOL and I thought I was so special!

yay we're special *hi5*

I've heard of Mnemosyne, but I used Anki because it has a few Japanese specific features which are nice =] I've recently switched to an online based SRS though.

More kids should try SRS, they're so pr0. No teachers seem to know about them though =\

Whatlol

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:33:27 pm »
Terima kasih banyak
failed uni

mykey

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 07:37:42 pm »
Saya ucapkan banyak terima kasih. Pertanyaan-pertanyaan ini sangat baik.

Becregan

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:42 pm »
I cant find/open the attactment any help ha?

Charlatan

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 05:03:56 pm »
I cant find/open the attactment any help ha?

^ This.

niki

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Elwood College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 08:54:28 pm »
hey guys, I did IndonesianSL last year and I still remember my oral exam... if anyone has any questions about it, you're welcome to ask me... however just a little advice for you peeps! the stuff that I wish I can go back and undo :)
1.) EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED... they can ask you about ANYTHING even if it doesn't even relate to your detailed study at all!!!!!!
2.) IT IS CRUCIAL TO NOT LEAVE OUT YOUR INTRODUCTION.... ( I know someone who left it out.... pshh... not me ;) ) !!!!!!!
3.) DON'T COME LATE AT ALL!!!
4.) DON'T MAKE UP AN INDONESIAN WORD FROM AN ENGLISH WORD,.. ( I once said EDUKASI .... -___-" don't ask ...)
5.) PRACTISE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS WHO ARE DOING INDO TOO or even better INDONESIANS :)
6.) DON'T PICK A HARD DETAILED STUDY...( like I know someone who picked a very complicated topic about 'how the Dutch influenced Indonesian culture ' ... psst... I still regret picking that topic... so damn hard!
7.) HEADS UP : YOUR ORAL EXAM COULD BE IN A SCARY MOTEL....
8.) DON'T FORGET YOUR ID!!! (when I was there some girl left it in her car ...so she had to get her mum to come back and drop it off...)
9.) ENJOY! :)
Indonesian SL(raw 37)

Menang

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:00 pm »
hey guys, I did IndonesianSL last year and I still remember my oral exam... if anyone has any questions about it, you're welcome to ask me... however just a little advice for you peeps! the stuff that I wish I can go back and undo :)
1.) EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED... they can ask you about ANYTHING even if it doesn't even relate to your detailed study at all!!!!!!
2.) IT IS CRUCIAL TO NOT LEAVE OUT YOUR INTRODUCTION.... ( I know someone who left it out.... pshh... not me ;) ) !!!!!!!
3.) DON'T COME LATE AT ALL!!!
4.) DON'T MAKE UP AN INDONESIAN WORD FROM AN ENGLISH WORD,.. ( I once said EDUKASI .... -___-" don't ask ...)
5.) PRACTISE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS WHO ARE DOING INDO TOO or even better INDONESIANS :)
6.) DON'T PICK A HARD DETAILED STUDY...( like I know someone who picked a very complicated topic about 'how the Dutch influenced Indonesian culture ' ... psst... I still regret picking that topic... so damn hard!
7.) HEADS UP : YOUR ORAL EXAM COULD BE IN A SCARY MOTEL....
8.) DON'T FORGET YOUR ID!!! (when I was there some girl left it in her car ...so she had to get her mum to come back and drop it off...)
9.) ENJOY! :)
Agree with most of what you said, but not point (6).

Pick a detailed study that you are interested and that will offer lots of discussion points with pros and cons to consider. This may be a complex, nuanced topic or a more straightforward one. Obviously, different students have different abilities and it's crucial you don't overreach or underestimate yourself.

Under no circumstances would I recommend picking a detailed study that is purely informative or that is common or cliche.
(1) Even informative topic can be made into discussions. Make yours a discussion. (Eg: even if you're picking something like "Sumatran Tiger", don't just talk about the tiger. Discuss environment/cultural issues around it's endangered species, different camps to the issues etc).
(2) If you chose a cliche topic, the examiners will be bored. Legit, for realz. They will pretend that they are very interested and make fake "O, RLY?" faces but inside they're like "not the fucking Sumatran Tiger again".

Side notes, though - Point #2 is great - memorize every bit of your introduction (keep it to 60 seconds!), down to the pitch of certain phrases you want to emphasize. This introduction tells the examiners which questions to ask so don't screw it up. ;)
Point #5 is also a great way to improve. Pick someone at your level or much better for bonus points. :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:54:10 pm by Menang »

aes_999

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +47
  • School: Melbourne High School
  • School Grad Year: 2011
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 05:01:04 pm »
^Menang's 100% correct. I did mine on coral reefs, and then talked about it's life cycle, benefits to environment and humans, talked a bit about reefs in Indo and Australia (Barrier Reef), how it's endangered, and how we could do something about it. The way I see it, the oral is high risk, high return. If you choose a detailed topic that isn't usually covered, and you do it really really well, examiners are going to be totally impressed, like 'Wah, topik murid ini sangat menarik. Selain itu, dia dapat menerangkan topik ini dengan jelas.' Then they give you like, 9 - 10 for each section and you'll be like 'I DESTROYED THAT ORAL, COME AT ME BRO'
B.Comm / B.Eco @ Monash 2012 - 2015

Research Assistant, Faculty of Business and Economics, Monash University

niki

• New South Welsh
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: +10
  • School: Elwood College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:25:33 pm »
^Menang's 100% correct. I did mine on coral reefs, and then talked about it's life cycle, benefits to environment and humans, talked a bit about reefs in Indo and Australia (Barrier Reef), how it's endangered, and how we could do something about it. The way I see it, the oral is high risk, high return. If you choose a detailed topic that isn't usually covered, and you do it really really well, examiners are going to be totally impressed, like 'Wah, topik murid ini sangat menarik. Selain itu, dia dapat menerangkan topik ini dengan jelas.' Then they give you like, 9 - 10 for each section and you'll be like 'I DESTROYED THAT ORAL, COME AT ME BRO'
I agree with you though, if its different, they will be more interested... I did mine on the Dutch's influence on Indonesian culture, but faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out, the examiners asked me about the MOST UNRELATED THINGS EVER!!! :( i died in tht little motel room :'(
Indonesian SL(raw 37)