Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:19:03 pm

Author Topic: CREATIVE WRITING - I am so stuck :(  (Read 3253 times)

I.09

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
CREATIVE WRITING - I am so stuck :(
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:15:31 pm »
Hi All,

I have just been given an assignment task that involves writing an imaginative piece that explored a METAPHORICAL LADNSACAPE that represents the WRITING PROCESS inspired by the vision of a writer's toolbox and/or is based on "beauty of the natural world" to explore an idea or value contained in the prescribed texts (Zaddy Smith, Geraldine Brooks or Noel Pearson).

I am so confused and out of ideas on how to craft a story. Please I struggle so much with creative writing so any please advice/help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so so much in advance.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: CREATIVE WRITING - I am so stuck :(
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 09:36:14 pm »
+2
Hi All,

I have just been given an assignment task that involves writing an imaginative piece that explored a METAPHORICAL LADNSACAPE that represents the WRITING PROCESS inspired by the vision of a writer's toolbox and/or is based on "beauty of the natural world" to explore an idea or value contained in the prescribed texts (Zaddy Smith, Geraldine Brooks or Noel Pearson).

I am so confused and out of ideas on how to craft a story. Please I struggle so much with creative writing so any please advice/help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so so much in advance.

Hey I.09,

I find it's often most helpful to break down the assessment before diving into all the possibilities creative writing offers - often, having too much scope is just as limiting as not having enough!

"Metaphorical Landscape" - While I haven't heard this particular wording before, I assume they want you to take the essence of the writer's setting and explore some aspect of it. The emphasis on the "writing process" means your teacher likely wants to see you demonstrate a strong understanding of the author's background and motives.

For the case of Noel Pearson, these ideas could include his indigenous background and lifelong pursuit for land/civil rights or for Zadie Smith's "That Crafty Feeling", could encompass a much broader exploration of the creative process.

I'm not quite sure how "beauty of the natural world" relates to your task/module, but I would advise your to look over your notes and carefully consider what your teacher has said throughout the term, as their interpretation of these works may unconsciously bias their expectations or writing of this task, which can be helpful in building up a direction (although subverting their expectations can also be highly effective if done well!)

Hopefully, fleshing out what is being asked of you will give you some more direction and enough to start off on. For some advice on creative writing, Elyse wrote an amazing article a while back which is still highly relevant despite it being tailored for the old HSC English Modules: https://atarnotes.com/hsc-creative-writing/

Best of luck with your assessment!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:46:58 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

I.09

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 10:04:01 pm »
@ Justin_L

OMG!Thank you so much for your advice.
You just gave me an idea to maybe explore the idea of a lifelong pursuit for rights through Noel Pearson.

But I was wondering if you have any ideas specifically on how a landscape could metaphorically represent the writing process AND/OR how the "beauty of the natural world" could explore an idea in the prescribed texts.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 12:49:23 pm »
+1
@ Justin_L

OMG!Thank you so much for your advice.
You just gave me an idea to maybe explore the idea of a lifelong pursuit for rights through Noel Pearson.

But I was wondering if you have any ideas specifically on how a landscape could metaphorically represent the writing process AND/OR how the "beauty of the natural world" could explore an idea in the prescribed texts.

Glad to hear you have some ideas! I can't really answer this specifically without having studied your particular texts - HSC Mod C (Craft of Writing) emphasises writing process itself and so tying things into the context and content of your prescribed texts would be integral to getting a high mark.

If you're still having trouble with ideas, I'd recommend rereading your texts and taking inspiration from your author's respective writing styles. Also don't be afraid of being a bit abstract about how to integrate your stimulus if you have a reflection you can elaborate in, otherwise you may just have to represent the stimulus a bit more prominently within your imaginative to make it clear to your teacher.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 12:54:22 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

I.09

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 06:44:08 pm »
Thank you so much for your feedback.