Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:03:14 pm

Author Topic: Essay in response to exerpts  (Read 3070 times)

BlackFrost

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Essay in response to exerpts
« on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:16 pm »
Looking at the 2020 HSC paper 2 question for King Henry IV
'In what ways does this excerpt reflect the concerns and aesthetic qualities of Shakespeare’s
play?
In your response, make close reference to the excerpt and to your prescribed text
[/size][/size]. '

I am not quite sure how we should approach an exam question like this: specfically for the structure (do we analyse the extract in the intro, or a separate 1st body paragraph), also how do we connect extracts to the materials that we have prepared, any words we should use to show a coherent transition between analysis.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Essay in response to exerpts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 11:03:41 am »
+2
Looking at the 2020 HSC paper 2 question for King Henry IV
'In what ways does this excerpt reflect the concerns and aesthetic qualities of Shakespeare’s
play?
In your response, make close reference to the excerpt and to your prescribed text
[/size][/size]. '

I am not quite sure how we should approach an exam question like this: specfically for the structure (do we analyse the extract in the intro, or a separate 1st body paragraph), also how do we connect extracts to the materials that we have prepared, any words we should use to show a coherent transition between analysis.

Hey, BlackFrost!

How much you use the extract will depend on the question's wording. In this particular case, you are being asked to discuss how much it reflects the concerns and aesthetic qualities of the play so you will need to make reference to it, as well as the textual evidence you have already prepared. Your introduction will need to establish your judgement on the question and put forward whether you agree with it or not.

As for actually using the extract, you could do it in two ways. The first is to dedicate a whole body paragraph to it and analyse the entire extract there. The other way is if you have, for example, three body paragraphs prepared, I would try and find three quotes from the extract and use them as additional pieces of textual evidence (one for each body) to show that marker that you are drawing from it and synthesising it within your prepared analysis. When completing the analysis, you could signpost each time you make reference to the extract by writing "As demonstrated in the provided extract...", "This is evident/further evident from notions raised in the provided extract..." or similar expressions to signal to your marker that you are actively incorporating it within your response  :)

If you get a question which just asks you to explore the ideas raised in the excerpt (and not "make close reference to the excerpt" specifically), I would still encourage quoting it in your essay response anyway. It not only demonstrates to the marker that you have a more holistic understanding of the prescribed text, but it also is essentially a free extract to work with that will suit your question perhaps even more than your prepared analysis too! I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music