Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:41:35 pm

Author Topic: Physics 3&4 or Further Maths in Year 12?  (Read 4892 times)  Share 

Gokul22

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Physics 3&4 or Further Maths in Year 12?
« on: October 23, 2020, 09:38:15 pm »
Hi Everyone, don't bother reading this paragraph if you don't want to. Just go to the next paragraph for my actual question.
I am completing 2 unit 3&4's in year 11 (Media and Methods), meaning I'll have only 4 subjects in year 12 next year. My school suggested I pick 5 for year 12 for now and drop one once my 3&4 scores for this year are released. Next Year I am doing English, Chem, Psych and I need to choose between Physics and Further to drop. I have done Unit 2 general maths but I haven't done 1&2 physics. I am planning on doing Engineering in Uni so physics knowledge would be essential. Further Maths might get me a higher atar but I am doing really well in Chemistry and Psychology so maybe I may do well in Physics as it is also a science. At the same time, my workload might be heavy but I will have 2 sets of study sessions a week so I think I can cope. I'm unsure of what to pick.

Here are a bunch of questions I have thought of and need advice on -
How much of Physics 1&2 is crucial to do Physics 3&4?
How similar are Chemistry and Physics?
How similar are Methods and Physics?
Is Physics really necessary for electrical/mechanical/aerospace/chemical engineering?
Is Physics difficult in terms of the workload and content?
2020 - Methods, Media
2021 - English, Chemistry, Psychology, Further
2022 - Engineering (honours)/Commerce @ Monash Uni

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Physics 3&4 or Further Maths in Year 12?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 09:56:48 pm »
+2
Physics 3&4 very much leads on from units 1&2 and would be significantly difficult to pick up without that background. If you were to pick up physics 3&4 I would HIGHLY recommend you do intensive study over the holidays to learn the relevant content you have missed out on.

There is some overlap between chemistry and physics (but more so in year 11 than year 12). Methods and physics also complement each other but there's not heaps of overlap or anything. E.g. you need to know how to use the constant acceleration formulas, be able to use V=IR, be familiar with Newton's laws and understand conservation of energy.

(I studied chem, physics, psych, bio, methods & eng lang as my 3&4s )

Gokul22

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2020, 10:44:39 pm »
Physics 3&4 very much leads on from units 1&2 and would be significantly difficult to pick up without that background. If you were to pick up physics 3&4 I would HIGHLY recommend you do intensive study over the holidays to learn the relevant content you have missed out on.

There is some overlap between chemistry and physics (but more so in year 11 than year 12). Methods and physics also complement each other but there's not heaps of overlap or anything. E.g. you need to know how to use the constant acceleration formulas, be able to use V=IR, be familiar with Newton's laws and understand conservation of energy.

(I studied chem, physics, psych, bio, methods & eng lang as my 3&4s )

Great Thanks! I am willing to put in the effort but I mainly want to do it so it will help me for engineering.
2020 - Methods, Media
2021 - English, Chemistry, Psychology, Further
2022 - Engineering (honours)/Commerce @ Monash Uni

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2020, 11:12:25 pm »
+2

Great Thanks! I am willing to put in the effort but I mainly want to do it so it will help me for engineering.

No worries!

I haven't studied engineering at uni so I can't speak to that but if you do decide to take on physics 34, the motion stuff will come up right at the start. There are lots of free resources online you can use to help you learn these topics so it's worth looking at the syllabus and then searching for those. I'd even recommend you consider doing this as part of deciding whether you want to study physics 34 in the first place.

Good luck & I hope someone can give you more clarity on the engineering side of things :)

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 02:55:51 pm »
+2
Further Maths might get me a higher atar
Be careful with this. If your goal is high 40s/50 raw SS in Further, then remember that it’s super competitive and mistakes can be costly. If you’re prone to mistakes then Further is probably not the best choice if your goal is to get a higher ATAR.

I haven't studied engineering at uni so I can't speak to that 
- snip -
engineering side of things :)
AFAIK, at Monash, you need either Chem or Physics to meet the science prerequisite. During first year of the Bachelor of Engineering, pretty sure that you’ll need to take physics if you didn’t do VCE Physics, so either way, you’ll end up taking physics eventually if not now.

At Melbourne, I think it’s Methods prerequisite (no science prerequisite) and similarly, you’ll likely need to take a physics unit in first year.

Pretty sure a similar pattern emerges in other unis, where you’ll need to eventually take physics if not in VCE for engineering courses.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread