Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:16:06 am

Author Topic: University General Chat  (Read 53045 times)  Share 

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Re: University General Chat
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
@JerryMouse2019 I'm guessing you're looking at a BFA?

Just adding onto AngelWings's really comprehensive response, of course having experience is beneficial, but no performing arts schools actually require you to have appeared in x amount of productions or whatnot.

Many of my friends doing BFA in acting/theatre/music theatre didn't really have extensive experience aside from background roles in school productions. One of my friends literally decided midway through year 12 he doesn't want to study law and now he's doing theatre at VCA. It's definitely possible.

Does your school put on major annual plays/musical productions? Could try auditioning for a lead role in year 12 and see.

Hi hums_student and AngelWings,

Yeah my school does put on an annual play/musical production (though I don't know when it will be happening this year or even if it will be happening this year due to COVID-19). I've never auditioned for a play before so I might end up being nervous if I do decide to audition. Is there any way to combat this nervousness? I mean I've done an AMEB exam before so maybe it might be something like that. I might be able to use my experience in doing an AMEB exam to combat my nervousness in auditioning for a school play. Also yes I have been looking specifically at the BFA. There are only a small amount of institutions in Queensland which offer a BFA. Griffith offers a Bachelors degree in Acting. QUT offers a BFA in Acting. TafeQLD offers a degree in Acting and Performance (in partnership with the University of Canberra). I've also checked out NIDA (though that would need me to move inter-state in order to study the BFA).

Are diplomas any good by the way?

Also are there any other institutions that I should check out that you could recommend?

Judging by what you both have told me, I think I should see if I'm good at acting first and then do some acting classes.

Thank you both for your help,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:51:59 am by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2020, 06:05:07 pm »
+6

Yeah not surprising. I was referring to next year, since I assume you're in year 11. If it offers any reassurance, I find AMEB exams to be much more daunting than school production auditions. Just make sure to pick a suitable audition monologue - eg. one delivered by a character of your gender and age range.

With institutions, I know the Griffith conservatorium is quite reputable so this may also extend to their performing arts courses, but if I remember correctly, their acting degree is quite new. Don't know much about other QLD schools. Most of my friends from theatre study at VCA. ECU'S WAAPA is also apparently a pretty good institution but it's in WA.

Not too sure about diplomas, but as acting is quite a practical field, experience would matter more in the end.

Finally, this isn't directly related to your questions but as someone who had been your shoes, I strongly urge you to have back-up plans. I know this sounds negative and pessimistic but not having one would be disastrous and it's a mistake many people make.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2020, 08:14:57 pm »
Finally, this isn't directly related to your questions but as someone who had been your shoes, I strongly urge you to have back-up plans. I know this sounds negative and pessimistic but not having one would be disastrous and it's a mistake many people make.

Hi hums_student,

I haven't said that I have definitely decided that I am going to do acting.

I've said that I've thought about the prospect of doing it.

Before I thought of acting, I had already looked at a potential range of fields (judging by my interests) ranging from: business, information technology and law. My mind keeps changing so even if I decide on something now my mind might change again next year when I graduate.

Thanks for the advice,

Kind Regards
JerryMouse2019
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2020, 02:02:55 pm »
+1
Has everyone got their exam timetables for this semester?

How are they and what sort of exam conditions will everyone have?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2020, 02:20:53 pm »
+1

I've got 3 un-invigilated exams.

I know one of them is full MCQ but I'm not sure about the others yet.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2020, 02:21:50 pm »
+1
I've got 3 un-invigilated exams.

I know one of them is full MCQ but I'm not sure about the others yet.

What do you mean by un-invigilated? Take home?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2020, 02:30:42 pm »
+4
What do you mean by un-invigilated? Take home?

They won't be supervised. There was discussion earlier in semester about having people watch us take our exams through our webcams but there was a big student response complaining about that and Monash later sent out an email saying external providers won't be used for exam supervision. Before then, the biology department decided they agreed with student concerns and won't do remote exam supervision however our exams might not be open book.

I've never had a take home exam so I'm not really across what that means.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2020, 04:59:14 pm »
+5

Don't have any exams this sem, just my final written one before graduating at the end of sem 2.

Am invigilating for the preparation time for lower years' OSCEs, though, which will be an interesting experience!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:01 pm »
+4

Feels so weird that I have no exams for the first time since 2014 tbh 🙈
(except my viva/oral exam is sometime in December (was originally November))
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

adroiit

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2020, 01:14:32 pm »
+1
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so I'm in Year 9 and already shitting my shitting my pants because of my parents pressuring me to do medicine, even though I'm getting solid B's and C's. What's the acceptance rate from a cohort like for medicine? And what is needed. I kinda sound like a tryhard, but im pre stupid. If anyone can help that'd be good. Thanks

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2020, 02:03:16 pm »
+7
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so I'm in Year 9 and already shitting my shitting my pants because of my parents pressuring me to do medicine, even though I'm getting solid B's and C's. What's the acceptance rate from a cohort like for medicine? And what is needed. I kinda sound like a tryhard, but im pre stupid. If anyone can help that'd be good. Thanks
I wouldn't know the acceptance rates since it is unclear on how many people actually want to do medicine. There would be a bit of people who apply who don't really want to do it and also a great deal of those who don't apply (due to things like ATAR/UCAT etc) but would like to study it.

At this moment what are you interested in doing after VCE? be it going to university and studying a particular course or anything else? If you don't want to do medicine and it is just parental pressure I think it is moot to discuss what academics are required.

tnguy598

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2020, 05:08:53 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm a year 12 international student who currently studies in Brisbane. As this is the first year doing ATAR in QLD and the pandemic, I'm pretty stressed right now as I don't have any clue of calculating the ATAR score. So if anyone can give me some ideas of how Qld calculates ATAR, it'd be great. Moreover, I want to ask that is there any major differences between bachelor of Philosophy, Politics and Economics and Bachelor of Arts besides its specifically/ flexibility? And can I study subjects such as philosophy, politics if I don't have any background in highschool or extracurriculars?
Thanks

agach25

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2020, 05:21:17 pm »
+2
yo just wondering that if the course I want to get into has the requirments of a 25+ in English and a 98 atar, is there usually any possibility I can get in without a 98 atar? Assuming I fell slightly below the requirements is there a chance I can still get in?

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2020, 07:52:36 pm »
+6
Hi, I'm a year 12 international student who currently studies in Brisbane. As this is the first year doing ATAR in QLD and the pandemic, I'm pretty stressed right now as I don't have any clue of calculating the ATAR score. So if anyone can give me some ideas of how Qld calculates ATAR, it'd be great.
You might find some of the answers in this section of the forum to be more helpful for this question, as well as this thread and this thread to be super helpful in getting an understanding on how your ATAR is calculated.

Moreover, I want to ask that is there any major differences between bachelor of Philosophy, Politics and Economics and Bachelor of Arts besides its specifically/ flexibility?
It’ll depend on which institute you’re doing these courses at as to whether they’ll be different beyond specificity/ flexibility. Some unis have some more differences such as faculty-specific scholarships and internships or compulsory units (uni subjects) that you’ll have to take if you’re doing one course vs. the other.

And can I study subjects such as philosophy, politics if I don't have any background in highschool or extracurriculars?
Thanks
Unless those subjects are stated as prerequisites for your course and/ or unit and your faculty allows you to take that unit, they won’t really assume you have much prior background.  Most first year units will usually begin from the ground up, but you might find that they’ll often be broad or brush through concepts rather quickly. The real catch is whether you can keep up with the pace, which generally isn’t too bad.

If it comforts you somewhat, I’ve seen many people start law degrees without ever taking a Legal Studies class before, new medicine students starting their degrees without ever taking a formal biology class since early/mid high school, IT students who have never done any coding prior to starting their degree and students taking foreign language classes with just their interests in the culture being their only previous exposure. I, myself, have an extended major in biology (genetics) and hadn’t taken biology since Year 9 when I stepped into my first uni lecture.

yo just wondering that if the course I want to get into has the requirments of a 25+ in English and a 98 atar, is there usually any possibility I can get in without a 98 atar? Assuming I fell slightly below the requirements is there a chance I can still get in?
Depends on the degree, the number of spots available for that degree and the demand for that degree. If you were only slightly below (without adjustments), then you’ll have a possibility to still make it in, however, it is subject to your competitiveness against everyone else who wants to get in and however many spots the institute has to offer.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 04:45:20 pm »
what do you study in bachelor of science first year uni
what do do you do in the biodiversity subject .