Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 12:05:15 am

Author Topic: Defer an offer  (Read 1291 times)  Share 

micnguyen

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Defer an offer
« on: January 17, 2019, 05:37:08 pm »
I’m probably going to get a lot of hell for this but I was unsure of what to do with my offer. Up until the deadline I was still tossing between my course preferences. Now I do not want to reject my first offer but is there any possible way for me to still get another offer in the second round whilst keeping my first?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Defer an offer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:47:10 pm »
+3
I’m probably going to get a lot of hell for this but I was unsure of what to do with my offer. Up until the deadline I was still tossing between my course preferences. Now I do not want to reject my first offer but is there any possible way for me to still get another offer in the second round whilst keeping my first?

Yes, you need to make a decision re: your first offer before it lapses. My suggestion would be to accept and enrol and then go from there. If you want to defer, you must submit the application to do so before the census date. You are able to withdraw etc. up until the nominated census date, so hold onto the 1st round course until you are absolutely certain you have the 2nd round one.

Note that either rejecting your first round offer or letting the offer lapse will mean that if you don't get anything else in future rounds, you'll have nothing. Always accept the first round offer so you have the safety net in the event nothing else happens in round 2+. Again, you can withdraw up until the census date with no penalty.

Note regarding holding onto offers when you don't really want it (directed to all those in this situation):
It is perfectly fine to hold onto an offer and wait for your desired one in the 2nd, 3rd etc. rounds, however be mindful that the longer you hold onto it, you are essentially taking a spot that somebody else may really want. CSP places in particular are capped/limited. Once you have the course you want, please do the right thing and withdraw from the other ASAP rather than waiting it out, so that somebody else can access the course before the rounds are over.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 05:55:16 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:50:53 pm »
+1
what preference was the offer you got?

If you didnt get your first preference you are still able to get offers in later rounds for other preference. E.g. you got your 4th preference - you are still avaliable for preference 1-3 in later rounds but they won't give you any lower preferences.

You can also change preferences (not sure of the exact time but check vtac website for it), this may give you a chance to put something above the course that you offered and you may be eligible for it in a later round.

What you should do now is accept your current offer and enrol - you should be are able to back out later if you get another offer that you want over this one.

MAGGOT

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 01:22:25 am »
What if you get your 3rd preference of bachelor of arts @deakin for your 1st round offer so you enrol. Once the 2nd round comes out, you get your 2nd preference of bachelor of science @ Monash. However, you decided that you want your 1st round offer. Do you just let the 2nd round offer lapse as you're still enrolled in your 1st round offer?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 01:28:17 am »
Yes if you decide that you don't want the 2nd round offer and are set on the one you've already enrolled in during the 1st round, nothing else needed. Let it lapse or decline (if you can, i'd recommend declining as soon as you can as per my note above). Have a think about it though as decisions you make re: declining an offer/letting it lapse are final.... if you change your mind the only pathway is either uni transfer after 1 sem/1 year or trying your luck in the later rounds but as we know most offers are given during round 1 so round 3+ is pushing it and very unlikely
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:32:34 am by Aaron »

...HeLloWoRlD...

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:15:38 am »
Hi, I'm also in a similar situation. I received my first preference however, I really want to do the course in my second preference which has a significantly lower atar requirement. I have enrolled in my 1st pref and changed the order but I'm super nervous about not getting my 2nd pref (now my 1st). Is it unlikely I will get it?

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:22:47 am »
+1
Hi, I'm also in a similar situation. I received my first preference however, I really want to do the course in my second preference which has a significantly lower atar requirement. I have enrolled in my 1st pref and changed the order but I'm super nervous about not getting my 2nd pref (now my 1st). Is it unlikely I will get it?

I actually got into my Masters through the exact same way you have described so it's definitely possible..... it's just a matter of how many places they have left in the course and your ranking in terms of their selection process. Round 2 and beyond reduces the chances of you getting it but there's still definitely hope. I'm living proof of that. Have faith!

I would say however if it's a course you want that is extremely competitive, I would definitely have a plan B (which may just be leaving your accepted course as-is) as chances are all spots are full and they won't offer any more spots unless somebody withdraws. Especially if it's a CSP course as places are capped.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:25:39 am by Aaron »

...HeLloWoRlD...

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 03:31:43 am »
Thank you! I really want to get into Biomed at Monash.