Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:54:15 am

Author Topic: Drop Legal or Phys :( Please help !  (Read 785 times)

jinbae9292

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Drop Legal or Phys :( Please help !
« on: July 08, 2019, 10:47:02 pm »
+1
Hii..

I'm currently in yr 11 & planning to drop 4units for yr 12.
I have already decided on one subject however conflicted between Legal & Phys as the 2nd subject to drop.

My cohort/school in general achieves great results in Legal, therefore I know this will become extremely advantageous.
Though my school has a weak stem faculty, the stem students still do achieve great results (majority of this would probs be made up from independent work rather than helpful? assistance from teachers)
Phys is far more difficult than Legal & even through there is a substantial scaling difference, I still find Legal as the safer option.

Some general info :
- My Eng is stronger than Maths, will be doing 4u eng
- Rank 1 for Legal & 8 for Phys
- Planning to study Com or Econ at Usyd/Unsw
- I do not plan to study 12units at all

In all truth, Legal isn't that all enjoyable.. Phys is wayyy more interesting but definitely not an easy subject, I find myself stressing about Phys quite frequently - Far more time consuming too.
I care about my Atar, but I do like Phys... and I know Legal is the safer and less time consuming option, will maximise my Atar too.. but...
idk.. I don't know, which I guess why I'm here and in the end I know it's up to me to make that decision and I'll probably make up my mind closer towards the date.. and life always works out somehow..
AHAHAH lowkey want to do ext sci (cause I like sciences) but shouldn't get too off track...
and also lowkey didn't find a point in continuing tutor for Phys if I were to drop it so would possibly want to make a decision before T3 starts..  :-\
So I guess I'm not exactly looking for an exact answer but rather input on points I need to consider and overall help to make a satisfied decision.
Thank you truly
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 10:57:43 pm by jinbae9292 »

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Drop Legal or Phys :( Please help !
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 06:41:31 pm »
Hii..

I have already decided on one subject however conflicted between Legal & Phys as the 2nd subject to drop.

My cohort/school in general achieves great results in Legal, therefore I know this will become extremely advantageous.
Though my school has a weak stem faculty, the stem students still do achieve great results (majority of this would probs be made up from independent work rather than helpful? assistance from teachers)
Phys is far more difficult than Legal & even through there is a substantial scaling difference, I still find Legal as the safer option.

Some general info :

In all truth, Legal isn't that all enjoyable.. Phys is wayyy more interesting but definitely not an easy subject, I find myself stressing about Phys quite frequently - Far more time consuming too.
I care about my Atar, but I do like Phys... and I know Legal is the safer and less time consuming option, will maximise my Atar too.. but...
idk.. I don't know, which I guess why I'm here and in the end I know it's up to me to make that decision and I'll probably make up my mind closer towards the date.. and life always works out somehow..
AHAHAH lowkey want to do ext sci (cause I like sciences) but shouldn't get too off track...
and also lowkey didn't find a point in continuing tutor for Phys if I were to drop it so would possibly want to make a decision before T3 starts..  :-\
So I guess I'm not exactly looking for an exact answer but rather input on points I need to consider and overall help to make a satisfied decision.
Thank you truly

I think it's a good idea to talk to your friends and parents to see what they think in order to get another perspective of what to drop. Making a list of pros and cons of what to drop also really helped me to choose between dropping modern history or physics (I ended up dropping physics btw as I felt really stressed because of it, despite enjoying it) as well as talking to the academic advisor at my school. But at the end of the day, it all comes down to interest as opposed to marks/scaling because the HSC will get more fast paced as you begin to learn content and keeping that subject that you are losing interest in/getting stressed over will not benefit you mentally and academically. Also consider whether you would effectively use that time from your dropped subject, in order to improve your marks from other subjects and if so, by all means drop whatever subject that is required. However, if you are still unsure by the end of these holidays, do not drop unless you are 100% sure that you want to drop as you want to ensure that you have no regrets when you drop. The points you have mentioned are also important to consider as well :)
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

matthewwu2003

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Drop Legal or Phys :( Please help !
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 08:50:23 pm »
Hii..

Some general info :

Thank you truly

Well this is really up to your own decision but if I were you I wouldn't drop either. You really need to think about this as there is not a lot of time to go till the HSC and you have already spent a lot of time and effort on both Legal and Physics and you wouldn't really want all your time and effort to go to waste. If I had to drop a subject I would drop Legal. Here are my reasons:

- Since you find Physics a lot more interesting than Legal then you would more likely want to continue to study for the subject and you will have more fun in the subject and thus will result in improvements in rank and mark.
- Being ranked 1st in Legal and 8th in Physics, there aren't too much of a different and you are better off with a subject you enjoy more.
- The scaling for Physics is a lot higher than than of Legal and may help you get a better overall HSC mark.

I would highly advise you to talk with your parents and discuss which subject is more suitable. You should also decide which subject you would personally wish to study. Above is just what I'll do, and not what people should do. You still got this holiday to think about it and decide. Remember it is what you want to study.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:56:38 pm by matthewwu2003 »