Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:21:21 pm

Author Topic: English creative response question  (Read 1651 times)  Share 

Karapl13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
English creative response question
« on: April 10, 2017, 01:15:27 pm »
Hello

I am trying to write a creative response to king Henry 4 part one, when I submitted a plan to my English teacher she stated that

"Creative responses are supposed to give conceptiual insights into the text" she also stated that from my plan it sounds like I'm just going to give a translation of some certain scenes in Shakespeare and repeat the text.

I understand that I'm not supposed to repeat the text, however I don't understand what she means by develop conceptual insights into the text. For a creative response is that just creating new situations for the characters?

For example, I'm writing letters in the perspective of king Henry to his son hal on the theme of honour.  I was going to add information about what Henry's father would do if henry was acting as reckless as Hal. This bit is not written in the text expressively but is that what my teacher wants?

Thanks for your help

r3my

Re: English creative response question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 02:50:24 pm »
+2
Your teacher's essentially asking you to form your own ideas from the ones presented within the play, meaning that you shouldn't wholly agree with something nor completely disagree. Instead, you should add something to the author's ideas so that you make it your own yet still retain elements of the author's.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:52:55 pm by r3my »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 03:33:11 pm »
+1
Hello

I am trying to write a creative response to king Henry 4 part one, when I submitted a plan to my English teacher she stated that

"Creative responses are supposed to give conceptiual insights into the text" she also stated that from my plan it sounds like I'm just going to give a translation of some certain scenes in Shakespeare and repeat the text.

I understand that I'm not supposed to repeat the text, however I don't understand what she means by develop conceptual insights into the text. For a creative response is that just creating new situations for the characters?

For example, I'm writing letters in the perspective of king Henry to his son hal on the theme of honour.  I was going to add information about what Henry's father would do if henry was acting as reckless as Hal. This bit is not written in the text expressively but is that what my teacher wants?

Thanks for your help
Hey there Karapl!

r3my's got the right idea in that you want to try and further the text somehow. So for Henry IV Part 1, you don't want to just write letters from Henry's point of view in order to expose his contempt and frustration with his son - that idea already comes across clearly in the play, so you wouldn't really be shedding new light on anything, or developing anything interesting.

That's not to say you'd have to write something out-of-character for Henry (i.e. don't do a letter from his POV about how he secretly wishes he could party and get drunk with Hal ::) ) but it is worth thinking about how you could delve into more interesting ideas.

E.g. what are Henry's motivations for wanting Hal to see the error of his ways - is Henry more concerned with:
   a) his own reputation, and he believes Hal's waywardness reflects badly on him, so wants him to cut it out and behave himself
   b) his lineage and dynasty, because Hal not acting princely/kingly is a bad sign for someone first in line to the throne, so he wants Hal to pull his socks up and prove that he can be a good prince, and will therefore make a good king in future
   c) the stability of the kingdom under his reign, and believes Hal's misbehaviour undermines the legitimacy of his own tenuous grasp on the throne, or...
   d) his son's own wellbeing and happiness? (lol, this one's last for a reason :P)

Karapl13

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:43:46 pm »
Hey there Karapl!

r3my's got the right idea in that you want to try and further the text somehow. So for Henry IV Part 1, you don't want to just write letters from Henry's point of view in order to expose his contempt and frustration with his son - that idea already comes across clearly in the play, so you wouldn't really be shedding new light on anything, or developing anything interesting.

That's not to say you'd have to write something out-of-character for Henry (i.e. don't do a letter from his POV about how he secretly wishes he could party and get drunk with Hal ::) ) but it is worth thinking about how you could delve into more interesting ideas.

E.g. what are Henry's motivations for wanting Hal to see the error of his ways - is Henry more concerned with:
   a) his own reputation, and he believes Hal's waywardness reflects badly on him, so wants him to cut it out and behave himself
   b) his lineage and dynasty, because Hal not acting princely/kingly is a bad sign for someone first in line to the throne, so he wants Hal to pull his socks up and prove that he can be a good prince, and will therefore make a good king in future
   c) the stability of the kingdom under his reign, and believes Hal's misbehaviour undermines the legitimacy of his own tenuous grasp on the throne, or...
   d) his son's own wellbeing and happiness? (lol, this one's last for a reason :P)

Thank you so much Lauren!  This really helps me a lot 😀