Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:07:13 pm

Author Topic: English Extension 2 Question Thread  (Read 66591 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: English Extension 2 Question Thread
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2018, 07:22:48 pm »
+2
Double posting because I don't want this to get looked over:

I'm reading a fantastic book at the moment that has made me think of English Extension 2 so many times.
If you're looking for creative writing exemplars of writing that is:
-Gentle but powerful
-Implicates a unique relationship quickly without being declarative

Then I think you should pick up The Vegetarian by Han Kang. Even just reading 20 pages will surely inspire you because immediately you are welcomed into a unique dynamic with beautiful writing - and given the word limit on E2 pieces, this is really important.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

theyam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #166 on: June 10, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »
hello

was just wondering how I can post something into the notes section, I received 15/15 for my report and I wouldn't mind sharing.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #167 on: June 11, 2018, 08:55:41 am »

hello

was just wondering how I can post something into the notes section, I received 15/15 for my report and I wouldn't mind sharing.

Legend! If you go to the Notes section itself you’ll see a blue “Add Notes” button on the right hand side next to the filter fields

finleystubbs

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2018, 10:01:01 am »
+1
Does anyone know how the reflection statement should differ from the report ?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2018, 08:03:34 pm »
+1
Does anyone know how the reflection statement should differ from the report ?

Hey, finleystubbs!

Welcome to the forum  ;D The Reflection Statement, as the name suggests, reflects on the entire Major Work process (including anything else after the Report submission). I largely used my Report for the Reflection Statement but changed a few things here and there, as well as expanding a little more on the concept and whether I believe it has been achieved.  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

hilaryl

• Adventurer
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2018, 06:36:13 pm »
Elysse! i've pmed you a copy of my extension two majorwork and I'd really appreciate it if you could read it and suggest any edits to me as the submisison date in this friday and i'm still in the midst of my trial block. Thankyou so much!!!

janani2556

« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2018, 07:57:57 am »
In my story, I have a bunch of non-English words which my teachers have told me aren't fully understandable. I don't want to use too many footnotes otherwise the story won't flow as nicely. Any suggestions as to what I could do?

Hope everyone's finishing up on their works for submission this week!

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #172 on: August 21, 2018, 08:11:31 am »
+1
In my story, I have a bunch of non-English words which my teachers have told me aren't fully understandable. I don't want to use too many footnotes otherwise the story won't flow as nicely. Any suggestions as to what I could do?
If it's within dialogue, you could maybe use it and then translate it through another character?
Like "Good morning kleine mädchen.." and another character retorts "I'm not a little girl" or whatever...
Just a thought
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2018, 12:47:58 pm »
+2

Hope everyone's finishing up on their works for submission this week!

Hey, janani2556!

I agree with S200's suggestion above about making the translation subtle if you want to avoid using footnotes. However, for my Major Work, I used a lot of musical jargon and Italian words which I only footnoted the definitions and placed the citations in my bibliography. This way, it won't disrupt the aesthetic of the Major Work so much but it will still be easy for your marker to refer to any definitions/translations instantly if need be  ;D

Good luck for the submission, everyone!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

seushie

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2020, 06:09:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm in Year 12 and doing EX2.

I am doing a critical response but I am not sure how to format it and how to break up the response?
Should it be divided into three parts? I just want to know the general structure, that's all haha~

THanks!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2020, 08:21:42 pm »
+2
Hi,

I'm in Year 12 and doing EX2.

I am doing a critical response but I am not sure how to format it and how to break up the response?
Should it be divided into three parts? I just want to know the general structure, that's all haha~

THanks!

Hey, seushie!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Great to hear that you're doing a critical response for your Major Work :D In answer to your question, how you choose to format and structure it is entirely up to you. The critical response doesn't have to be structured like a typical English essay with three distinct bodies/sections; you're welcome to divide it up however you wish so long as it flows and develops as you read it. A girl in my cohort did hers in four parts which worked out nicely for her, whereas I've read an E4 example which only had two.

If you really need to get a start on structure, I think three sections is a logical choice. My poetry for Ext 2 had three "phases" which transitioned conceptually into one another. It also worked for my PIP (which I think is the closest thing to a critical response in terms of structure); I had my introduction+log, my central material (which had four mini chapters) and my conclusion. This helped me guide my response and signpost effectively throughout the writing process where I was up to and what I was aiming to achieve in each section. This could well be a good starting point and if you feel like you need an extra section, if you have to divide a section into two or that you should take out a whole section entirely, it'll be something you navigate through as it arises!

Otherwise, my only other piece of advice is to try and think about how structure can support and reflect your conceptual aims with the Major Work. In my case, I chose to have my poetry in three parts to signal the three different eras of music and literature I was drawing from (Baroque, Classical and Romantic) which tied in with my Major Work's ideas surrounding time and progression. Your decision to format it in a certain way can be justified in your Reflection Statement as a creative choice that enhances the premise and overall experience of your critical response for the reader :) Hope that helps and let me know if you have any further questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-