Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:53 pm

Author Topic: How to imply something through a hidden explanation in a creative?  (Read 1130 times)  Share 

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
Hey Ppl,

I am writing a creative piece and trying to master how to imply something without stating it directly in order to allow the reader to recognise its extended meaning in relation to my text.

My creative is centred around a boy who has a troublesome relationship with his mother and a emissary crow sends a feverous message as if from his father. But, i don't want to say blatantly that it is his father in order to have a inferential meaning to the crow.

I trust this makes sense. Anything will help :)

Thank you so much
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

kiwibirdau

• MOTM: Feb 20
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: +5
Re: How to imply something through a hidden explanation in a creative?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »
+3
Super interesting.
There are various ways to imply things:
- Making something be “out of place” but in a nuanced way. That is describing the crow in an “odd” way to highlight features of the father (maybe Anthropomorphism as a possible technique)
- Maybe how the persona interprets the presence of the crow - what type of analogies do they create etc...

I’ll think a bit more and hopefully provide some examples of how I would write it out.

Hope it helps!
HSC 2020
Work smart, not hard.

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:34:21 pm »

I’ll think a bit more and hopefully provide some examples of how I would write it out.

Hope it helps!

Yes, thats so helpful thanks very much.

Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:35:23 pm »
+4
Hey, LoneWolf!

I'll add to kiwibirdau's great suggestions ;D When you're trying to "show, not tell" in creative writing, think of ways you can represent ideas instead of simply presenting them. Alongside using direct techniques to do this, as kiwibirdau has suggested with having anthropomoprhism, other key ways you can do this is through dialogue, setting and expression. Here's an example of how you could represent something without saying it.

Telling
Susie was cold.

Showing
Dialogue- "It's a bit chilly, isn't it?" Susie remarked, watching her arms gravitate towards the heater.
Setting- The passing wind sent a shock down Susie's spine, numbing it of sensation.
Expression- It had been months since Susie felt the warmth of her mother's embrace, or the warmth of anything for that matter.

This article really helped me brainstorm ways to "tell" less when I was doing creative writing in my HSC so it might be what you're looking for. Hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions!

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

LoneWolf

• Trendsetter
  • 2020!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 08:53:21 pm »
- Maybe how the persona interprets the presence of the crow - what type of analogies do they create etc...

Having thought it over, I am probably leaning towards this method.

Some rough examples, (If possible, not trying to sound demanding) would be AMAZING!

Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths