Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:32 am

Author Topic: Derived scores  (Read 6113 times)  Share 

vce_2007

Derived scores
« on: October 31, 2007, 10:16:11 pm »
so what are derived scores actually derived from?

and in what circumstances are you given consideration for one b/c a member of my  family died on tuesday...

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +529
Derived scores
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 10:26:08 pm »
Deriving ENTER scores:

ENTER = w + x + y + z + .1m + .1n

Deriving with respect to w,x,y,z,m and n yields...

just kidding :P

They take SAC marks, predicted grades from teachers and if you've attempted the exam they take a look at what you've done there as well. They also take into account the severity of your injury and how it affected your mark. Many variables, only one derivative. :P

vce_2007

Derived scores
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 10:27:55 pm »
how about the gat? do they look into your gat marks at all? b/c i did very bad in it, i didn't try in it at all

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Derived scores
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »
Oh yes, the GAT! That is a huge variable in it. They look alot at that because it's basically just a glorified IQ test.

asa.hoshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Derived scores
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:50:17 pm »
if you did well on ur gat...
good sac marks throughout the year...
ur subject teacher adores you...

apply for special consideration or derived score.

if i was in ur situation. i wouldnt be bothered doing the exams and i'll just ask for a derived score. having a death in a family is serious!

i'm sorry to hear that a member of your family passed away though. my prayers are with you VCE_2007.
I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER!!

vce_2007

Derived scores
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:55:28 pm »
awww asa.hoshi thats very nice of you...tbh it wasnt immediate family but I knew him so well, we lived together when we went overseas...

but i didn't too good on my gat at all, my sac scores were very good (99/100 for spesh, 96/100 methods, 94/100 physics but only 82/100 for unit 4 english)

i know i'll do alright in my exams but i just wanted to know if there was any special consideration but i dont want a derived score b/c of the gat...

melanie.dee

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +1
Derived scores
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:03:05 pm »
yeh you can probably apply for special consideration, im not exactly sure how that work, but you still sit your exams, but they take into account your situation or something i think. sorry to hear that you lost someone close

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
Derived scores
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 11:04:19 pm »
If you don't think you did well in your GAT, don't even bother. That's what I reckon.
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

vce_2007

Derived scores
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 11:06:28 pm »
thanks guys for the help

ill go talk to my school 2moro and see what they say about it all

enwiabe

• Putin
  • ATAR Notes Legend
Derived scores
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:16 pm »
WAIT

ALWAYS APPLY ANYWAY!

THEY NEVER DECREASE YOUR MARK BASED ON DERIVED. IF YOUR SCORE IS HIGHER DERIVED THEN YOU GET THAT SCORE, IF IT'S LOWER DERIVED YOU GET THE SCORE YOU'D GET WITHOUT DERIVATION

Ahmad

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • *dreamy sigh*
  • Respect: +15
Derived scores
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 11:12:56 pm »
If that's the case, you should seriously consider it :)
Mandark: Please, oh please, set me up on a date with that golden-haired angel who graces our undeserving school with her infinite beauty!

The collage of ideas. The music of reason. The poetry of thought. The canvas of logic.

Collin Li

• VCE Tutor
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +17
Derived scores
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 12:49:28 am »
Yeah, I was gonna say in reply to Ahmad, there's no loss. Our school always encouraged it whenever possible.

vce_2007

Derived scores
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 02:09:00 pm »
i talked to someone today and she said i couldn't apply...i didnt think i could b/c they lived overseas...so yeah

Odette

Derived scores
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 02:17:40 pm »
Quote from: "vce_2007"
i talked to someone today and she said i couldn't apply...i didnt think i could b/c they lived overseas...so yeah

:shock: that's unfair, whether the person lives near you or overseas, it has the same effect on a person, emotionally, especially if you were close...

ninwa

• Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1021
Derived scores
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 03:11:06 pm »
im really sorry to hear that vce2007!

that IS unfair. distance doesn't mean they meant any less to you.

(off the VCAA website)
Submitting your application

Students who believe they are eligible for a Derived Examination Score should first seek advice from their school. The primary responsibility for submitting a correctly completed application form rests with the student.

If circumstances are of an exceptionally private and sensitive nature, students may apply directly to the VCAA. Students will still be required to provide evidence in support of their application

Maybe you can try applying directly, if you feel it really has impacted on you. School doesn't know everything :P good luck
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]