Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:07 am

Author Topic: How to make a 'godly' cheatsheet?  (Read 1377 times)  Share 

Adequace

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 7-1 never forget.
  • Respect: +12
How to make a 'godly' cheatsheet?
« on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:27 pm »
My current cheatsheets have been sufficient in tests so far, but I think I'm wasting a lot of space with unnecessary information. I'm just including formulas and some worked examples I had trouble, I'm usually not sure what else to write on in so I just write a bunch of BS on the leftover space lol.

Also, how different would cheatsheets on single topic tests be compared to the end of year Physics 3/4 exam?

(The physics cheatsheets from the physics resources seem to be missing, I'd be pretty keen to see pi's cheatsheet  :P)

Bruzzix

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +14
  • School: FCCC
  • School Grad Year: 2015
Re: How to make a 'godly' cheatsheet?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »
+2
TBH there isn't very much content in the physics course compared to some other subjects. I think that all that is needed to do well in the exam is sufficient understanding of the theory and the accompanying calculations. I plan on only taking in the 'shortcut' formulas I've derived and some other necessary formulas that I can't remember quickly from the top of my head. Together it should take up less than a single A4 sided sheet for me.
Instead of writing examples that you had trouble with, you should try and design your own questions with a similar style to that of which you had difficulty with, maybe changing the numbers if it involves calculations, and learn how to become proficient in solving them. That way you won't waste time looking to your cheat sheet like a significant portion of the state is and spending precious exam time figuring it out.
One more thing to consider is that the examiners know that we can all bring in a cheat sheet and therefore will create questions that can't be correctly answered by blurting out info that's right next to you - this is to test if you have the required understanding rather than every student copying out a pre-written solutions and adjusting the context.

I imagine that for most students, exam cheat sheets would simply be a combination of info from their single topic tests, textbooks and various other resources.

Good luck for VCE physics :D
2014: Psychology [31~28.95]
2015:
Chemistry [37~41.23] | Biology [42~42.86] | Physics [33~35.50] | Methods [29~33.14] | English [36~34.50]
ATAR: 90.35
2016: Monash BSc
Finished VCE at 16
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”

odeaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:29:48 pm »
+1

the examiners know that we can all bring in a cheat sheet and therefore will create questions that can't be correctly answered by blurting out info that's right next to you

Good luck for VCE physics :D

Spot on, I find a cheat sheet makes you tempted to copy stock answers (especially for worded questions), you should be able to answer anything they throw at you intuitively because the theory side of vce physics is tiny (compared to chem or other sciences)
VCE Class of 2015

Monash Uni

Orson

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 11:32:54 am »
For my cheat sheet, I'm going to be putting heaps of questions on it, especially ones that I've had a little trouble with (Tension questions in motion for me). I will be going through all the VCAA papers  and finding those recurring questions, and put them on there with model answers. Also, with theory questions, predominantly for light and magnetism, I will be including model answers from the VCAA exam solutions. Finally, remember to include derived formulae if you depend on it.

Enjoy!
2015: VCE
2016: BCivEng(Hons)/BCom at MU

Feel free to PM me for your engineering queries