Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:42:19 pm

Author Topic: How would you change VCE?  (Read 7813 times)  Share 

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
Re: How would you change VCE?
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2019, 09:30:58 pm »
+6
I wish there was an english subject that was on english skills for science. I'm never going to need to know how to write a creative piece or analyse a text, but I wish I'd been taught how to actually write a scientific report when I was in high school. The poster that's now made in all VCE science classes feels like primary school work in comparison, and I don't really think there's enough time for it to be taught in science class anyway. Getting to uni and being expected to be able to write a report every second week without ever having been taught how to reference properly before was unpleasant (not so much for the people who did IB and had already done been doing it for years).
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

misanthropic.socialite

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »
+4
Please no English in top 4. It's the worst to study for as it's employment prospects are terrible. That's pretty much why the Asian 5 is so popular because of the practicality of the subjects and hence the stronger cohorts. VCE is a shit system but much better than Asian countries for example. My parents didn't even get a choice of Maths: in Taiwan, Further, Methods and Spec are all squashed into one subject. And the Sciences (all three main ones) and the national language AND English are all mandatory. Sure the system is biased towards those that attend elite selective schools and private schools and magnet public schools, but that's pretty much every country as a high school certificate is not even a qualification, it's mandatory to even be considered in the real world.

Scaling is a necessary evil too. VCE is a welcome to the real world: it sucks, but have you're gonna love it! (Monica Geller from Friends  ;D )

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2020, 08:46:56 pm »
+1
Please no English in top 4. It's the worst to study for as it's employment prospects are terrible. That's pretty much why the Asian 5 is so popular because of the practicality of the subjects and hence the stronger cohorts. VCE is a shit system but much better than Asian countries for example. My parents didn't even get a choice of Maths: in Taiwan, Further, Methods and Spec are all squashed into one subject. And the Sciences (all three main ones) and the national language AND English are all mandatory. Sure the system is biased towards those that attend elite selective schools and private schools and magnet public schools, but that's pretty much every country as a high school certificate is not even a qualification, it's mandatory to even be considered in the real world.

Scaling is a necessary evil too. VCE is a welcome to the real world: it sucks, but have you're gonna love it! (Monica Geller from Friends  ;D )
none of the VCE subjects are actually employable (outside of tutoring) so not sure why you single out English? Also I wouldn't say scaling is evil ahaha it is one of the fairest aspects of VCE  :)

why do you think VCE is a "shit" system?

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 08:52:36 pm »
+3
I know this sounds really silly, but I wish that everyone had the opportunity during year 12 to take units from a uni course you're interested in, that can then go towards that course as recognition of prior learning. As someone who has known what she has wanted to do for years, I always wished that they had more options for people who have made up their mind. There's VCE, VCAL and VET, but if I could have forgone VCE and the ATAR system, taken two units (say I took two general health units that could be used in multiple degrees across the year), and be judged on my performance on that to decide if I get into the course I want or not. Like, if you want to get into medicine, and you need chemistry from VCE, instead take a chemistry bridging course and then do a level one unit for chemistry instead. I know they have a version of this, but it's so hard to get into, and it's only in particular areas of study, rather than something that everyone can have a chance at.

I'm sure there are a lot of issues with this that I haven't considered, but it still would've been nice :)

misanthropic.socialite

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 09:00:37 pm »
+1
none of the VCE subjects are actually employable (outside of tutoring) so not sure why you single out English? Also I wouldn't say scaling is evil ahaha it is one of the fairest aspects of VCE  :)

why do you think VCE is a "shit" system?

A fancy moderator replied to my post. I'm honored  :P

I guess my mantra is what's been repeated to me by all my relatives lately as I'm turning 18: "mAtH oR scIENce or You'RE BROke anD a FAILure".

All education systems are shit in their design to perpetuate inequality and all that. But VCE is still pretty good compared to other countries.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2020, 09:32:15 am »
+1
English should be compulsory but not in your top 4
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash