Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:42:54 am

Author Topic: Help! Source analysis for major work!  (Read 2283 times)  Share 

j_asf

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Help! Source analysis for major work!
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:25:06 am »
Hi all!

So my major work is due next week, and I have no clue as to how to go about the source analysis in my bibliography. I know that it wouldn't be the same as Modern/Ancient, but am soo confused as to how to begin!

Any tips?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Help! Source analysis for major work!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 10:21:09 am »
+4
Hey,
So the source analysis isn't as big as what you'd do in Modern (I think, I don't do modern). It's 600 words max, so your looking at around 200 words each, but one of mine was bigger then the others. You need to do your three most valuable sources (so for me, that was my historians books, and a youtube lecture on the topic). You basically have to comment on the strengths/weaknesses, reliability and usefulness of the three sources.
So, some of the things that I look at  for reliability I looked at their:
Academic qualifications (one was a professor at Harvard)
Methodology (if they used a lot of sources, one was selective in their use of sources, etc.)
Biases (one had a father in a concentration camp)

Usefulness:
How it had helped me in terms of the project (what I did and didn't get out of this source for my essay)
You've also got to make sure that your making a judgement thought the source analysis on the reliability and usefulness of the source (I think the A band was makes a sophisticated judgement)
Hope this was helpful! Good luck for the project! :D :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 07:55:21 pm »
+1
Hey,
So the source analysis isn't as big as what you'd do in Modern (I think, I don't do modern). It's 600 words max, so your looking at around 200 words each, but one of mine was bigger then the others. You need to do your three most valuable sources (so for me, that was my historians books, and a youtube lecture on the topic). You basically have to comment on the strengths/weaknesses, reliability and usefulness of the three sources.
Methodology (if they used a lot of sources, one was selective in their use of sources, etc.)

Usefulness:
How it had helped me in terms of the project (what I did and didn't get out of this source for my essay)
You've also got to make sure that your making a judgement thought the source analysis on the reliability and usefulness of the source (I think the A band was makes a sophisticated judgement)

Couldn't have said it better myself! Awesome work Katie :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

j_asf

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:39:38 am »
+2
thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it :)

bigsweetpotato2000

• Forum Regular
  • There shall be no boundaries to human endeavour-SH
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 02:02:27 am »
+2
Hi all!

So my major work is due next week, and I have no clue as to how to go about the source analysis in my bibliography. I know that it wouldn't be the same as Modern/Ancient, but am soo confused as to how to begin!

Any tips?

Exactly what I wanted clarification on - you're a star for asking it!

Hey,

Usefulness:

Thanks for the clarification! You did a great job of organising my approach that I had in my head under clear subtitles - which is amazing!

j_asf

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 07:11:10 pm »
+1
thanks all! this was really helpful :)