Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:50:16 pm

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 347878 times)  Share 

2020hsc

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #1335 on: May 19, 2020, 12:22:22 pm »
+1
Ah, legend! Thankyou so so much, very helpful  :) :)

2020hsc

• Adventurer
« Reply #1336 on: June 12, 2020, 05:37:58 am »
hey modern historians  ;D

wondering if someone could help me...how different is the structure of a speech to the structure of an essay for hsc modern history? how do you go about writing a good history speech?

anitaaa_i

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1337 on: June 14, 2020, 06:57:58 pm »
HI! okay so I have a modern history in-class essay for this question:
“The social and economic effects of the war were less traumatic on Britain than on Germany or Russia. However, it could be argued that they were almost revolutionary in their own way”
To what extent do you agree with this view of the impact of the war on civilians in Britain, Germany and Russia?

I am not going to lie, I am just very overwhelmed with this and honestly do not know where to start. I have an idea of what I want to talk about (role of women in Germany, German bombing campaign on Britain) but do not know where to start or even how  to create a thesis statement. Any help would be great!  ;D

papa kwan

• Adventurer
« Reply #1338 on: June 28, 2020, 01:13:24 am »
+2
HI! okay so I have a modern history in-class essay for this question:
“The social and economic effects of the war were less traumatic on Britain than on Germany or Russia. However, it could be argued that they were almost revolutionary in their own way”
To what extent do you agree with this view of the impact of the war on civilians in Britain, Germany and Russia?

I am not going to lie, I am just very overwhelmed with this and honestly do not know where to start. I have an idea of what I want to talk about (role of women in Germany, German bombing campaign on Britain) but do not know where to start or even how  to create a thesis statement. Any help would be great!  ;D

Hey there,
So I did my HSC last year and got 94 in modern, so I'll try to help out. Just wondering, where did you get this question? It doesn't seem HSC-style. Also, what topic is this for? I did Power and Authority, Stalin, Apartheid and Arab-Israeli, so if this isn't from those topics (which I don't think it is), I can't help you with actual content. I can however, try to help you with structure. This is how I'd do it (again consider that I probably didn't do your specific topic)

(If you agree with the statement)
Paragraph 1: Social effects of war
1.1 Social effects on GBR civilians
1.2 Why Germany suffered worse social effects
1.3 Why Russia suffered worse social effects
1.4 Why the effects on GBR were revolutionary (or at least like a revolution)
N.B. 1.1 and 1.4 should be longer than 1.2 and 1.3

Paragraph 2 is the exact same but you do economic effects. If you disagree with the statement, same structure, except you talk about why the effects on Germany/Russia were less severe than GBR, and/or why the effects on GBR weren't revolutionary-like.

Lastly, it is inevitable that you feel overwhelmed at some point(s) during the HSC, even more so during this pandemic- so you're definitely not alone. Just because you feel super stressed right now doesn't mean you can't get a good mark/ATAR. In my experience, every HSC student feels like that at some point, including some of my friends who ended getting 99 ATARs. In these situations, just take a step back, calm down and try to work through the problem logically. If you can't, get help. This forum is a good place to start.

Hope that helps. Good luck with the HSC.

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #1339 on: August 08, 2020, 10:26:31 am »
Hey y'all, I've been revising the power and authority common module and realised that I don't actually understand this dotpoint:

The rise of dictatorships after World War 1
- an overview of the features of the dictatorships that emerged in Russia, Italy, Japan

What do "features" actually refer to? Characteristics to which they were dictatorships/totalitarian?

And what could they ask for this? My class notes just provide a very broad biography of the leaders (Stalin, Mussolini, and Tojo), and I'm not quite sure how to study/practice for this dotpoint. Right now, it just keeps like a catch-all to ask anything about any of these states.

Any insights would be appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:28:23 am by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #1340 on: August 08, 2020, 11:18:11 am »
+1
Hey y'all, I've been revising the power and authority common module and realised that I don't actually understand this dotpoint:

- an overview of the features of the dictatorships that emerged in Russia, Italy, Japan

What do "features" actually refer to? Characteristics to which they were dictatorships/totalitarian?

And what could they ask for this? My class notes just provide a very broad biography of the leaders (Stalin, Mussolini, and Tojo), and I'm not quite sure how to study/practice for this dotpoint. Right now, it just keeps like a catch-all to ask anything about any of these states.

Hi Justin,

While I do study Modern History, I study the QCE version so I may not be able to help you to a full extent, but I can certainly help breakdown the dot-point for you. In terms of your module, and how it relates to "power" and "authority", I can assume that this dot point may require you to summarise, analyse or compare and contrast the "features" of the Russian, Italian and Japanese dictatorships. So personally, I would summarise the key similarities and differences between the dictatorships e.g. their ideologies, their purpose etc. and then, if required (or just in case), I would analyse the significance/effect of these dictatorships on the events of World War I e.g. how these dictatorships influenced the events of World War I.

Hopefully, that helps to some degree :)

Have a great weekend and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #1341 on: August 08, 2020, 04:00:52 pm »
+2

Hey Justin, just adding onto Darcy's great response!

One of the big differences between the Germany study of the old syllabus and the new Power and Authority core is the notion of 'dictatorships'. So yes features of the dictatorships would mean the characteristics of each dictator, their ideologies, policies etc. My teacher has said that any of the dictators are able to be asked in the HSC, e.g. a question could ask you about Mussolini's dictatorship., or Stalin's ideology, etc.

Hope this helped!
Alilce
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

Justin_L

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1342 on: August 08, 2020, 09:09:15 pm »
+1
snip

snip

Thanks guys! That definitely clears things up, I suppose I'll just have to investigate all of the countries and just know them in detail.

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #1343 on: August 10, 2020, 07:49:02 pm »
i can NOT clearly define potential essay points about the significance of the new guinea campaign...can anyone please share their points/essay plans etc.?

it is regarding the conflict in pacific topic!

thanks guys
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

joel121212

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1344 on: August 26, 2020, 04:53:27 pm »
Hey guys, could anyone outline a structure (and techniques or specific niches should be addressing)  to approaching a "compare" source analysis question. This would be very helpful so thankyou in advance any responders

pine-apple01320

• Adventurer
« Reply #1345 on: October 04, 2020, 09:45:55 pm »
Hello! I just had a question about essays in Modern History. Since last year was the first time with the new syllabus, would you say that the chances of them repeating a question in the same part of the syllabus would be very slim? For example, in the unit Russia and the Soviet Union; one of the questions last year was Why was Stalin able to emerge as leader of the USSR by the late 1920s, (in the power struggle section of the syllabus) so would you say that there is only a very slim chance of a question like why was trotsky unsuccessful in gaining power or To what extent did leadership conflict and differing visions for the USSR shape the history of the Soviet Union in the period 1917-1941?

Justin_L

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1346 on: October 04, 2020, 10:05:25 pm »
+3
Hello! I just had a question about essays in Modern History. Since last year was the first time with the new syllabus, would you say that the chances of them repeating a question in the same part of the syllabus would be very slim? For example, in the unit Russia and the Soviet Union; one of the questions last year was Why was Stalin able to emerge as leader of the USSR by the late 1920s, (in the power struggle section of the syllabus) so would you say that there is only a very slim chance of a question like why was trotsky unsuccessful in gaining power or To what extent did leadership conflict and differing visions for the USSR shape the history of the Soviet Union in the period 1917-1941?

I highly doubt NESA would repeat a question verbatim, but they definitely could do a different take on the same dotpoint. I'd say that either of the questions you represented are slim but real possibilities. With the relatively small number of dotpoints in this module, I think it's worth being prepared for anything.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:13:59 pm by Justin_L »

pine-apple01320

• Adventurer
« Reply #1347 on: October 06, 2020, 03:44:12 pm »
Thank you! I just had one more quick question: if the topic of an essay specifies a particular event eg. To what extent did the Treaty of Brest Litovsk contribute towards the Bolshevik Consolidation of Power?, how much of the essay do we have to spend talking about the Treaty?

Does majority of the essay have to explore the impacts of the treaty, or could I just have one main paragraph on it, then for my other two/three paragraphs argue that there were a multitude of other factors (eg. Civil War / War Communism / NEP) that were of greater significance? In those other paragraphs, I would only have like a sentence or two linking to the question & emphasising that these factors STEMMED from the Treaty?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 06:18:44 am by pine-apple01320 »

• Adventurer
« Reply #1348 on: November 12, 2020, 03:47:44 pm »
Regarding short-answers in Modern, is there a certain structure?

Like I know Economics uses the DPEEL structure, but is Modern just your classic TEEL?
"Nobody minds having what is too good for them." Jane Austen.

Justin_L

• Trendsetter
« Reply #1349 on: November 13, 2020, 10:51:35 am »
Regarding short-answers in Modern, is there a certain structure?

Like I know Economics uses the DPEEL structure, but is Modern just your classic TEEL?

There's no explicit structure that I know of for modern, it heavily depends on the verb (Identify / Evaluate / Contrast, etc) and the sources specified (eg. Explicitly integrate Source A / Using your own knowledge).

I'd suggest just doing a bunch as practice and comparing your responses to past samples and exemplars alongside the marking criteria, and you'll naturally start to develop your own structure/style for answering short responses. Although if anyone has used a structure successfully, I'd love to hear about it!