Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 08:51:48 am

Author Topic: How to write concisely for bio 3/4  (Read 1533 times)  Share 

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
How to write concisely for bio 3/4
« on: March 27, 2021, 05:54:56 pm »
I tend to overwrite and need to stick to answering just the q. Any tips?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Re: How to write concisely for bio 3/4
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 07:59:55 pm »
+7
I think using dot points is a good way to reduce the temptation to write a lot of useless info in the answer. Number of marks generally equals number of key points they want you to include in answer, so eg 3 marks = 3 dots points to write with the most important points.

Also try doing some VCAA past exam questions and mark them by looking the examiners reports. The suggested answers in the examiners reports are written very concisely so you can compare you answer to see what kind of points they wanted and what info was useless to include, it might help you get better at identifying what they are looking for in answers.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: How to write concisely for bio 3/4
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 09:00:55 pm »
also, the sample answers in checkpoints are not very concise at all compared to examiners reports.

is that more so for an explanation or what they expect as an.answer?
I think using dot points is a good way to reduce the temptation to write a lot of useless info in the answer. Number of marks generally equals number of key points they want you to include in answer, so eg 3 marks = 3 dots points to write with the most important points.

Also try doing some VCAA past exam questions and mark them by looking the examiners reports. The suggested answers in the examiners reports are written very concisely so you can compare you answer to see what kind of points they wanted and what info was useless to include, it might help you get better at identifying what they are looking for in answers.