Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:52 pm

Author Topic: Extension 2 English Reflection Statement Discussion  (Read 3311 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Extension 2 English Reflection Statement Discussion
« on: July 26, 2016, 09:18:19 pm »
Here is a place to discuss all things reflection statements!

Feel free to post questions, answers, stressful rants, or anything that you need help with because you're in a writer's rut.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

kassidyfisher

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Gosford High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Extension 2 English Reflection Statement Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 12:23:19 am »
I am honestly really struggling with my Reflection statement... I have started writing it and getting feedback but my ext 2 teacher can be really vague sometimes.... and I want to make sure I get a 10/10. I have looked at exemplars....but they aren't helping. Do you have any advice? Especially how you dealt with discussing manipulation of form? ( I am doing a critical response...)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 10:36:19 am »
+1
I am honestly really struggling with my Reflection statement... I have started writing it and getting feedback but my ext 2 teacher can be really vague sometimes.... and I want to make sure I get a 10/10. I have looked at exemplars....but they aren't helping. Do you have any advice? Especially how you dealt with discussing manipulation of form? ( I am doing a critical response...)

What is it about your work that stands out as unique? Have you used an epigraph? Have you based your paragraphs about conceptual ideas, or scenes in a play, or does each paragraph in your major work reflect a particular quote?

My manipulation of form dealt with my creative story being written in a circular structure, as it started and ended in the same spot. Your manipulation of form might be how you've expressed a voice. Manipulation of form is definitely the most difficult to incorporate in my opinion. You're not the only one struggling with it!

Did you look at other critical responses to assist you? I don't just mean other major works, I mean, professional critical responses? This is your investigation into form, and when you talk about your manipulation of form, you can talk about what you tried to emulate in those responses or what you rejected - and then why?

I'm sorry this isn't a lot of help. It really depends on how you researched form, and then what you chose to mirror and what you chose to reject. That is the approach I took! I chose to adapt my circular structure because it was suggested by John Marsden, but I chose to reject the "inception" style circular approach, and rather just have the setting at the beginning and end the same, and not a full circle of plot.

mikaelainocean

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:46:59 pm »
Hey,

I am really struggling with my Reflection Statement. My teacher keeps on telling me to write about form and about literary theory. I am a little bit confused about literary theory and apparently my work is considered as post structuralism feminism. I have researched into this and I still don't understand it.

Kind Regards,
Stressed out student

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »
Hi there could you please go through each of the reflection statement outlines and describe exactly what the markers want out of each so I can make sure I am on the right track? Thank you heaps!!!

summarises the intention of the Major Work and the relationship it has with the extensive independent investigation

must include an outline of the intended audience for the Major Work and the purpose for which it was composed

supports the Major Work, explaining the relationships of concept, structure, technical and language features and conventions

must explain the relationship the Major Work has to the English (Advanced) and Extension coursework ­– this can include the work undertaken in the Preliminary year

should explain the development of concepts during the process of composition, making the links clear between independent investigation and the development of the finished product

should indicate how the student realised the concepts in the final product

may be written in either a formal or informal register.
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 06:21:13 pm »
Hi there could you please go through each of the reflection statement outlines and describe exactly what the markers want out of each so I can make sure I am on the right track? Thank you heaps!!!

Hey there!

summarises the intention of the Major Work and the relationship it has with the extensive independent investigation
Extensive independent investigation is everything in your journal - all of your research. So how has the aim of your work, the intention, been influenced by your research?
must include an outline of the intended audience for the Major Work and the purpose for which it was composed
Identify your audience - and what is your motivation for pursuing the work for your intended audience.
supports the Major Work, explaining the relationships of concept, structure, technical and language features and conventions
This will be the bulk of most people's statements - about the way your concept, structure, and language, come together. So basically, how have you constructed the text to express your main concept?
must explain the relationship the Major Work has to the English (Advanced) and Extension coursework ­– this can include the work undertaken in the Preliminary year
Identify, at least once, where you have gained skills or inspiration from the Advanced OR extension course
should explain the development of concepts during the process of composition, making the links clear between independent investigation and the development of the finished product
This is basically like the ones before it - but it's about recognising the process is flawed, and that it is A PROCESS, where things change and evolve. Reference your major work directly.
should indicate how the student realised the concepts in the final product
As before
may be written in either a formal or informal register.
You choose the tone! I kept mine formal :)