Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:09:28 am

Author Topic: When you can't get a question straight away  (Read 1515 times)  Share 

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
When you can't get a question straight away
« on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:35 pm »
Any final tips on what to do in this situation?
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

jasn9776

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: When you can't get a question straight away
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 04:34:44 pm »
Skip it and then if you have time just write down everything that might help. Idk. Usually when I see a geometry question and I look at the answers it's like it was so simple all along. I think you just need some space to look at it with a fresh mind.
HSC 2018: English Adv(88) | Bio (90) | Phys(85) | Software Design (87) | 3U Math (41)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:51:11 pm »
+4
You need to look at the clock very regularly.

Typically, if I’ve spent 2 minutes on a question and I know there’s still half of the paper left, I already panic and think I’ve spent too long there. Especially when sometimes I see that 5 parts down there’s something I definitely know how to do. The only time I’d spend more than 2 minutes on a question in the early and middle phases is if I know that the answer is just long to write out and I’ve already done heaps.

Grab the easy marks first. Once you’re done, as you go towards the end, focus on those that you skipped. And balance it out, e.g. another 3 minutes per hard question thinking about how to approach it, or anything you can write down that would earn pity marks.

And of course, if later you realise how to complete that part in its entirety, go for it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:53:12 pm by RuiAce »

horse9996

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 05:20:03 pm »
What about once you've completed the paper and are trying to figure out the last question?
HSC 2018
Advanced English (88) | Maths Ext 1(47) | Chemistry (88) | Earth & Environmental Science (94 - 5th in state) | Geography (89)

ATAR 98.2

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 05:25:37 pm »
What about once you've completed the paper and are trying to figure out the last question?
Flick through the paper. Does another question somehow link?

Check your bound reference (I assume NESA allows these :-\)
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:38:07 pm »
If that’s literally the only question left then just do it?

I don’t understand what your query is now. Are you asking for advice on tackling the last question of the paper or something here?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 05:40:46 pm »
+1
I think they're asking if they have no idea what to do for the last question, and everything else is done.

I would prolly say just look over all the different parts of the question. As soon as you find one part you can do, it will most likely open up the question
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 05:47:47 pm »
+3
I did my maths HSC last year, and I remember in my trial exam there was a question I didn't know how to do after looking at it for a minute or so. I skipped it and came back to it when I had finished everything else and still couldn't figure out how to do it, so I checked over another couple of questions I had marked (which I had only half finished or something like that), then came back to that question and somehow it just clicked. I guess sometimes your brain might subconsciously think about it when you are doing other things, or seeing something else in the paper may have triggered my ideas, so definitely don't be afraid to leave a question and come back to it multiple times if necessary.

Otherwise I agree that writing down everything you know and any potentially related formulas is definitely worthwhile. Sometimes I will start a question and won't actually know what I am doing until I start writing, so I would reccommend just start writing and see where you end up. This way you could also get marks for working even if you don't reach the answer. For example if you have some sort of equation, see if you can write it in a different form and see whether that helps at all.

Good luck in your exam!!! Hope this helps :)
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle