Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:10:38 am

Author Topic: Dragging myself towards my goals  (Read 8019 times)

pepper77

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +24
Re: Dragging myself towards my goals
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 05:25:22 pm »
+5
I'm happy to report that I'm good now! ;D I was only two days off my estimate - not bad. Hope everyone's doing okay. I have a Methods SAC tomorrow that I'm trying to find the motivation to study for. Graphs are so boring...

My English Language SAC was a lot of fun. (Despite the people blatantly talking when the teacher popped outside for a minute ::) .) I love the way this subject just lets you ramble on about language use and counts it towards your ATAR. I wrote until my hand cramped, and then wrote some more. My writing is fairly small, and I filled just over 2 pages, but I still didn't finish in time. I seriously don't know how people finish their essays in mainstream English. Maybe they don't have that much to say about their texts? ???

My Physics SAC, however.. was absolutely brutal. I'm deeply upset with myself for doing poorly, but at the same time I did enjoy the freedom that comes with knowing you're going to do badly. I just threw down any ideas I had and hoped. If the rest of the SACs are going to be this hard, I'm really excited to see the ones on special relativity and light/matter. And although I feel sick thinking about it, I'm looking forward to getting the motion test back and working through it. I remember looking at one of the questions and thinking, "you can DO that with this information?!" Wish I could remember what it was asking for.

I actually got to go to Luna Park the other day. It was supposed to be a work-related excursion, but honestly it felt more like the school was trying to get the Year 12's to make friends with each other. We got there so late that nobody had a chance to complete the work we'd been set. Not that I mind all that much. I had a chance to talk to some new people and relax. :) I was surprised to see how many girls there were. At my school you can count the female physics students on one hand, and my teacher said that last year there was only one doing units 3/4!

As for the noise issues, nothing has really changed. I've started to get used to the background noise in the common room, though. I applied to six jobs on a whim, hoping one would hire me and expose me to some real noise, but unsurprisingly they all turned me down ;D Still, this is okay.

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 01:47:09 pm »
+6
Got my English results last night and I need to get this off my chest, I'm dying not being able to tell anybody. My teacher typed it up and passed out copies of it as an example of a good essay in class today! I dropped a mark because I didn't finish the essay, but other than that everything else was 👌👌.  ;D I was worried, but hearing my classmates say nice things about me has me feeling all warm. Gordon Ramsay voice where is the criticism Like I'm being wrapped in a cosy blanket with a couple of thorns stuck in the side. Why thorns, you ask? Well... almost everyone thought it was written by a guy. I'm never going to own up to it anyway, but it would've been nice to have more than one person think it was mine. Or at least another girl's. (My teacher said 'she's a good actor' ::) and as far as I know, we don't have any boys who use female pronouns in this year.)

There was another essay that was also very well written. I wish I knew who wrote it... It seemed like they put a lot of thought into theirs, whereas I just planned a bit and then scribbled like a woman possessed. My weakness is remembering to save contemporary examples of English (and remembering to use them) and that's where the other student excelled. If you're the person who had stuff about [redacted because I found them], PM me and tell me your secrets. :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 10:26:11 pm by pepper77 »

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2019, 03:42:36 pm »
+3
I've been sick again, so I haven't really been thinking about updating this. Sorry! :-[

The other day I went to a physics lecture at Melbourne Uni about tides. I loved it, but barely anyone turned up. Now that I've said that, I need you (current VCE Physics students, brave Year 9's and 10's, I don't care) to sign up for the next one so that it's harder for my friends to pin this thread on me. If the physics isn't enough to lure you into the city, they also have food ;)

I had a Methods SAC the other day which I was sort of upset about. I got a B, but I would've got an A if I hadn't made so many stupid mistakes. Ahhh. Live and learn, I guess. Also, this SAC really taught me the importance of doing your damn homework. Seriously. Half the students got E's or NS's because they haven't been doing theirs. :o Please please please do your homework.

I'm putting off my English Language homework right now, so I'm going to work on that properly after I post this. (Right now I'm sort of half doing it.) I have the second part of my SAC this week and I'm really nervous :'( I thought I was safely in the top 5 after the essay part, but then they spring a short answer test on us... How rude. >:( I'm not too good with short answer style SACs, because you actually have to think to get a good score. With essay SACs I've always just put down a few dot points, blanked out, and come back to myself 60 minutes later with a cramp in my hand and two or three pages of essay. It almost feels like cheating, because nobody else I know does this. Like, regardless of the study score I receive at the end of the year, I won't feel like I've earned it because I didn't really do the work myself.

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2019, 03:28:35 pm »
+3
I just had my English Language SAC and well, RIP my top 5 ranking.. My class sat it first, so we got mobbed by the other class afterwards. By the end of lunch the second class knew a) all of the questions and b) had access to the text we had to analyse. Part of that was my fault. It doesn't sit well with me - feels a bit like cheating :-\ - but maybe I'm being too stiff. I don't want to estrange myself from my cohort and my friends over one measly SAC, you know?

During the test I started dozing and doodled a bunch of flowers on my paper instead of answering one of the questions. (They were daisies, if anyone was wondering. I can't really draw much else.) Plus another question was on humour, which I often don't understand unless it's coming from me. Does anyone else have that problem? I normally just watch to see when everyone else laughs, or when it feels right to smile :P I wrote that down (but, like, in a relevant way and with some metalanguage) and hoped the teacher would understand. Despite all of that, I still think I should be close to the top of the class. I'm good at waffling on in a way that sounds relevant, even when it's not. ;D I don't really understand why no one's called me out on it yet, but hey, I'm not complaining!

I haven't had a physics lesson in over a week and Methods is overwhelming me with homework, so I've barely had time to study. Actually, I haven't really had time to do anything other than Methods homework this week. It's kind of a pain. I could probably be working more efficiently, but.. eh. I'm not a machine. I just wanna be left in peace to do my Spesh homework and play with numbers. We started geometry which is something I really enjoy (given these parts of a shape, find this one) but I don't have time for it because I'm stuck drawing graphs.

Well, the term's almost over so I should have plenty of time to study during the holidays. I'm going to 3 ATARNotes lectures (physics, English Language, chemistry) which should be fun. I'm not doing 3/4 Chem this year so I'm going to teach myself the basics of unit 3 beforehand. I'll forget it all before next year, but I don't really mind. I sometimes forget it because of the stress of VCE, but I'm only finishing school for fun. There's not a specific career I'm trying to get into with these subjects. I just want to enjoy learning new things for as long as I can. :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2019, 03:34:20 pm »
+2
If there's one thing I've learnt about EngLang, it's that you could never really know how you've gone - particularly straight after the SAC. Nice job for getting through! :)

Feel free to say hi at lectures. ;D

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2019, 07:36:59 pm »
+1
If there's one thing I've learnt about EngLang, it's that you could never really know how you've gone - particularly straight after the SAC. Nice job for getting through! :)

Feel free to say hi at lectures. ;D

Ain't that the truth! Counting on the first part of the SAC to save me if it turns out badly. ;)

I'm dead shy so honestly I probably won't, but we'll see. :P

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 09:06:49 pm »
My legs hurt... I've been sitting on my bed doing Methods homework all day. Well, I took a break to eat dinner, but apart from that it's just been graph after graph since I woke up at 12. AN, this isn't what I was born to do! :'( And I'm only halfway through... I usually wouldn't bother, but my cohort's been doing so badly on SACs that if you don't do your homework you lose your lunch break. (Even if you finish it before then, you still have to show up. Even if you're consistently scoring well. It's so depressing.) I don't mind sitting in silence for an hour, but like I've mentioned before school is the only chance I have to read nowadays. So that's why I'm desperately trying to get it all done. Could this be the origin story for a supervillain who exclusively targets maths teachers? I guess we'll have to wait a few more years to find out. ;)

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 11:24:06 pm »
+3
I've been listening to Hozier's "No Plan" on a loop for like 40 minutes. There's this one line, As Mac explained, there will be darkness again
that's making me wistful. I know it wouldn't be too comfortable after the heat death of the universe... but man, I wish I could be there for it. I'm not sure why. Maybe it takes some of the ever-mounting VCE pressure off? ??? I feel like I'm stuck right now (my life is just get up, go to school, study until my eyes hurt, read, come home, collapse, get up) and having something to look forward to helps. Even if that thing is the end of the world ;D

So anyway, Term 1 is finished. I'm kind of relieved that we get a break, and kind of terrified for the future. Most of the terror comes from the fact that parent-teacher interviews are tomorrow, and that I have to go this year. It'll be nice to finally have some attention from my teachers, but for some reason I'm still not looking forward to it. I asked my dad to run me over, but he said he didn't want to get his car dirty. :P Something else that's worrying me is the upcoming formal. I'm not going (ticket price + no dates til I graduate fmllll) but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something big. I've never been to anything like that before, so maybe this is my last chance to do something cool-teenager-movie-ish.

I'm almost done with my maths homework (finished that massive load I was complaining about and was rewarded with 20 pages of holiday homework ;D), but I've got an English essay to write :'( and a pile of physics questions to get through :). I haven't even started on chemistry. A friend says that a lot of Unit 3 will be stuff I'm familiar with, so I'm hoping the lecture won't be too difficult for me to understand.

Ahhhh. I know this isn't a holiday, but I don't care! I'm not going to burn myself out. I may not be able to relax or keep up with my hobbies, but I'm at least going to try listening to some new music over the next few weeks.

pepper77

• Trailblazer
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2019, 03:11:55 pm »
+4
I'm at an AN Physics lecture right now, and this chair is really comfy. Like really comfy. I don't think I can fit one under my sweater, though. :(

I actually got a bit lost on the way here, but now that the lecture's started I'm enjoying it. (It's all stuff I've gone over before.) Also, I'm surprised to see so many girls. It's awesome! ;D Shame high school is so skewed towards guys, but if I can get to uni level physics it'll be something to look forward to.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2019, 04:04:28 pm »
I'm at an AN Physics lecture right now, and this chair is really comfy. Like really comfy. I don't think I can fit one under my sweater, though. :(

I actually got a bit lost on the way here, but now that the lecture's started I'm enjoying it. (It's all stuff I've gone over before.) Also, I'm surprised to see so many girls. It's awesome! ;D Shame high school is so skewed towards guys, but if I can get to uni level physics it'll be something to look forward to.

Nice one! Hope you enjoy the rest of it. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2019, 08:21:54 am »
I didn't do formal/deb etc, I went to a couple of friend's deb's and one formal at another school, but although some people love it imo you're not missing out on much.

There are similar things run at uni so if you wanted to you could go to one w/ a bunch of uni students  but yeah...

Don't feel bad for taking some time out to recuperate - if you don't procrastinate completely it will help you going into next term :)